XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-08-2017, 02:14 PM   #1
askari
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

brakes for 2012 x5d

Hey guys,

so at 105,000km and looking at changing brakes again.. last time i changed at 55,000km

mechanic is recommending akebono or hawk brakes? not sure

at 55,000km i had installed brembo rotors, and trw front and textar rear brake pads. they always made squeaking sounds. i think so did the originals come to think of it.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 05:46 PM   #2
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

Depends on what you are looking for. Often the offset of having a low dust pad is losing initial bite. Tell us more about what you are looking for in a pad and we can make a proper recommendation.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 03:58 PM   #3
askari
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

something with less brake dust would be nice.
long lasting if that exists
Doesn't need to be performance brakes.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 07:38 PM   #4
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

Longevity of a pad is very subjective to the type of driving you do so I can't really help you there.

So far of all the pads I've tried on my BMWs, I really like the Textar ePad. This is not to be confused with the traditional Textar line that comes from the factory as this is a newer version with far less dust. The reason I really like this pad is because I get the initial bite similar to that of the original pads but with far less dust. To me this is so important because I still feel like I haven't lost my braking performance unlike some of the other pads I've tried. People will say that some of these other pads with less bite perform better in high heat conditions and are less prone to brake fade, but let's be real, how many of us are taking their X5s out on a track? This is why I find good initial bite for a street driven vehicle to be important and the Textar ePad is more than capable.

That being said if you are looking for a pad with the absolute least amount of dust, the ePad isn't the pad for you and you may want to look at the Akebonos. The trade-off will be that the Akebonos or similar pads won't have near the initial bite. The one set of pads I would highly discourage using based on personal experience would be the Axxis Deluxe. I find these pads to not only be noisy but performance is subpar especially in an emergency braking situation. In fact it's downright scary trying to quickly stop if the brakes are cold/cool. I have these on my E46 and I'm in the process of looking to swap them out for the Textar ePad if available.

Hope this helps. Of course this is just my opinion so others may have a different experience. I did a full review on the Textar ePads a while back that a quick search should be able to locate to give you more info.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 11:29 AM   #5
amgraham
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 x35d

askari, I replaced mine last summer with Centric rotors and Hawk HPS pads on my X5 diesel. I pull a 4600lb travel trailer, empty, figure another 1000 loaded, give or take, and with kids and friends to go camping, using the third row. The HPS dust less dragging the trailer around than the OEM pads did without the trailer behind me. The HPS whoa the X5 down with or without the trailer equally as well, if not marginally better. Though that's anecdotal and pure seat of the pants.
Appreciate 0