XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-07-2017, 09:19 PM   #1
amgpwr
Registered
Rep
Drives: E55 AMG

X5M Possible New Owner - Failure Items

Hello
I have been reading and reading and think I have a fairly complete list of common large issues, many of which are now covered by recalls and CCP. The SO has been drawn the the X5M, but I am leaning towards a RRS Supercharged. Seems the X has more issues than I have seen on RRS.

So here is the list I have of the common large issues and just want to ensure I have a good list to ensure if we go this route these are specifically looked in to prior to purchase. If there is anything else please chime in.

Injectors/Spark Plugs (Recall)

- Index 10 and under are the problems, and Index 11 or higher are the upgraded versions. So I should check history to see if and when these were replaced. If not replaced have them done ASAP.
- Plugs should be part of the injector change and changed every 3 oil changes, is what I recall reading. So ensure plugs were done at time of injecotrs.

Fuel Pump (Recall)
- Ensure pump replaced and if not have done ASAP.

Front Drive Shaft (Recall)
- Ensure replaced or serviced recently to ensure in good shape.

VANOS
- Saw this mentioned a few times but didn't seem common on X5M??

Timing Chain
- This isn't really a common issue to S63 motors as it is more the N63, is that correct?

Battery
- High voltage drain when the car is off to run systems to cool the car off results in battery replacement more often than other cars. The car will be driven roughly 20mi per day in a mix of highway and roads. Will this be adequate to charge the battery daily, or should on the occasion hookup to a charger? Any better battery to upgrade to?

Vacuum Hoses
- Inspect and replace as needed to avoid loss in power message. I know there is one running the length of the car to the exhaust and read to plug them and zip tie the valve open??

Oil Consumption
- Likely to get low oil message and add a quart every 800mi or so.

Water Pump
- Check to see if operating loudly

I plan to ensure these were completed before purchase or shortly thereafter. Plan is to ensure good shape to add down pipes and a tune.

Thanks, sorry this was super long.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 01:35 PM   #2
Whiplash_89
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

I will look at all these things when I test drive one on Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 03:31 PM   #3
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5m

CCP isnt applicable for X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgpwr View Post
Hello
I have been reading and reading and think I have a fairly complete list of common large issues, many of which are now covered by recalls and CCP. The SO has been drawn the the X5M, but I am leaning towards a RRS Supercharged. Seems the X has more issues than I have seen on RRS.

So here is the list I have of the common large issues and just want to ensure I have a good list to ensure if we go this route these are specifically looked in to prior to purchase. If there is anything else please chime in.

Injectors/Spark Plugs (Recall)

- Index 10 and under are the problems, and Index 11 or higher are the upgraded versions. So I should check history to see if and when these were replaced. If not replaced have them done ASAP.
- Plugs should be part of the injector change and changed every 3 oil changes, is what I recall reading. So ensure plugs were done at time of injecotrs.

Fuel Pump (Recall)
- Ensure pump replaced and if not have done ASAP.

Front Drive Shaft (Recall)
- Ensure replaced or serviced recently to ensure in good shape.

VANOS
- Saw this mentioned a few times but didn't seem common on X5M??

Timing Chain
- This isn't really a common issue to S63 motors as it is more the N63, is that correct?

Battery
- High voltage drain when the car is off to run systems to cool the car off results in battery replacement more often than other cars. The car will be driven roughly 20mi per day in a mix of highway and roads. Will this be adequate to charge the battery daily, or should on the occasion hookup to a charger? Any better battery to upgrade to?

Vacuum Hoses
- Inspect and replace as needed to avoid loss in power message. I know there is one running the length of the car to the exhaust and read to plug them and zip tie the valve open??

Oil Consumption
- Likely to get low oil message and add a quart every 800mi or so.

Water Pump
- Check to see if operating loudly

I plan to ensure these were completed before purchase or shortly thereafter. Plan is to ensure good shape to add down pipes and a tune.

Thanks, sorry this was super long.
Appreciate 0