XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
Matt The Car Nut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 Boxster S

A Six-Month Review of a 2009 BMW X6 xDrive50i

I convinced my dad to buy the X6. Really, I did. Even as I sent him pictures of his freshly delivered 2009 BMW X6 xDrive50i from the dealership on my iPhone he wasn’t convinced, “Uh, I’m not really sure.”

My dad is car indecisive. Back in 2004, we went through a similar situation while deciding between the Cayenne S and a Cayenne Turbo. Being the “I’ll drive a new BMW M3 and not eat for three years” sort of car enthusiast, I remember shouting at him, “Turbo, turbo, turbo!!!”

He got the Turbo.

After four years and 90,000 miles, it was time for a replacement late last year. He didn’t fancy finding out how much it cost to replace PASM components or other electronic gizmos out of warranty. And, I certainly wasn’t going to protest when I knew it was my job to find him a new car.

When the X6 Concept was introduced at the 2007 Frankfurt Auto show I knew it was my dad’s next car. And, to be honest, I based my decision on an initial gut reaction. It was “cool.” I showed my dad the concept pictures, he agreed.

BMW released the order guides for the production version in early 2008, and I finalized my dad’s spec within five minutes: Vermillion red over Saddle Brown leather. I didn’t hold back on the options either. Our production was delayed in until September because we “had” to have extended leather. I wrote an initial review after delivery back in September, but it’s time for an update.

So, six months and 7,000 miles later, and I get to finally drive the X6 for an extended period of time, alone. Being the wonderful son I am, I offered to take the X6 to Austin to get the already-paid-for-at-delivery-but-was-out-of-stock iPod adaptor installed. Also, all four rims needed to be, uh, refinished.

My parents knew I was excited the morning of my adventure. I inhaled breakfast and washed the X6 so fast I was panting when finished. For the first 30 minutes of my drive, I played. I played with the sat nav, the sat radio, the sport mode, the paddle shifters, the seats, the voice control, the ultra-cool cruise control, reset the trip odometer, and got frustrated at the line of cars in front of me on HWY 105 (a two-lane road).

Soon enough, I came upon a straight piece of road. It’s the only safe passing opportunity for miles. At 60 MPH I gunned it. The V8, with its not-so-twin turbochargers, roared, and the Beast thrust forward. Five cars and an 18-wheeler later, I was rocking. I signaled back into my lane, and I was a little shocked at the speedometer. You can’t feel speed in this thing. It’s so high off the ground, insulated, and cocoon-like, silly speeds happen with no drama. I then set the cruise control to 75MPH and sang for a while.

Its straight-line stability is rock solid. Only minor inputs are needed to keep it going in your indented direction. It’s also quiet, has great frontward visibility, and the 12-way comfort seats are just amazing.

I arrived in Austin relaxed, fresh, and ready to drive more. However, the trip did reveal two aspects of the car that are not-so convenient. Firstly, you can’t see out of the car! I’m serious. BMW even admits this by making park-distance control standard (even on the cheaper model). Looking through the rear-view mirror is like looking through those eye cut outs in solitary confinement prison doors. Secondly, and I’m being so American here, the cup holders are awkward. Due to the joystick gear changer, trying to retrieve your Austin Java requires a reach-around maneuver best saved for high schoolers.

That doesn’t matter though, because the X6 is so cool. On my drive, a group of guys stopped and asked me what on earth I was driving. Another shouted, “That’s so amazing.” In fact, the amount of head turning and eye bulging was out of control. I parked it in front of Amy’s Ice Cream the next day and groups of people were swarming it. I thought about charging money for rides to earn a little gas money. Some hipster in SoCo came up to me while parked and said, “That design is so beautiful. I’ve never seen it before. Sweet.” There is something about this car that provokes a reaction.

Naturally, I’m not going to get the negative comments at an intersection, but it does make me ask what makes this car cool? I think it’s partially due to the proportions. The front end is menacing, the roofline starts to slope downward after the first row, and the rear is high and wide. 315MM wide rear tires add to the look. The Beast could have jumped from the pages of Transformers. It’s unnatural looking. But, the looks aren’t the only unnatural aspect to the X6.

This gigantic Bimmer’s driving performance ups its looks by bordering on insanity. There are three aspects to the X6 that allow it to perform its magic: a 400 H.P/ 450 Torque engine, active anti-roll bars, and Dynamic Performance Control (DPC). To witness all three work in unison, I drove RR 2222 to 620 to the crazy twisties around Lake Travis. At first, my passenger was an unconvinced friend, “It’s kinda big, Matt. I like the interior though.” “Ok,” I replied, “Let me just press this button and slap that lever.” With the suspension and transmission in “Sport” mode, I took off from the stoplight.

I entered the first left sweeper a little faster than I would in my Boxster. I also squeezed the gas a little harder than I would in the Boxster, too. The Result? No understeer and no body roll. Wow. Another fun turn was further down the road where is hooks left but slopes downward. Here, I could feel the DPC pivot the X6 around the corner. Technology that works. Nice. DPC even allows the outside rear wheel to rotate faster when the driver isn’t on the throttle. I cannot explain how bizarre it is to be in such a heavy, high vehicle and throw it around like a rag doll. I’m not going to use the word “nimble,” because it’s just too heavy. But, the X6 drives like a 3,500 lb 3-Series in the corners. The only time you can feel its heft is when you are too eager in a tight, Boxster-like corner. I never reached its grip limit, either. It’s so easy to drive fast. By the end of our adventure, my friend was convinced, “Wow. That was amazing. It really shouldn’t be able to do that.” I agreed. I’ve never driven an SUV with such a high sporting aptitude. It’s unnatural.

With Sport suspension mode switched off (It’ll knock your teeth out driving around town on less-than-perfect roads), we returned to the city. I kept the transmission in sport mode for in-town driving, though. In normal mode, it always choose too high of a gear, and it took too long to downshift when I pressed the throttle. This made the Beast seem sluggish. The steering, and I can’t believe I’m saying this, is a little under assisted for city driving. Also, don’t plan on using the X6 for any reconnaissance missions as the exhaust (although quiet in the cabin) announces your presence with a deep bellow.

The X6 doesn’t make a lot of sense. Even though my dad adores his new car, I’m sure he’d be just as happy with a X5. It’s cheaper, more practical, and less crazy. The X6 is heavy, thirsty (I averaged 14.2), seats less, holds less and is more expensive. But, I don’t care. The X6 is ridiculous. The X6 is excessive. The X6 is unnecessary. And, I want one.

I found a twin at the mall:

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
Nezo86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 50i

nice.. i cant wait to get my 2010 deliverd
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

um if you 've had it for 6 months isn't that 2008?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #4
Matt The Car Nut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
um if you 've had it for 6 months isn't that 2008?
Um, it was the first 2009 delivered at the dealership, um...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

nice review.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 07:34 PM   #6
XBMW6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 740Li 2021 M850i

I totally appreciate your experince driving xDrive50i since I took it for a test drive. The power and control is so amazing for such large car...It does really behave like a coupe. And the sound of the engine makes you wanna push it more. I just can't imagine how the X6M will be...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Nice review. Thanks for the update. Keep them coming
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 07:53 PM   #8
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Would you say the X6 handles noticeably better than the Cayenne Turbo? I would assume yes but I have never driven one.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 08:27 PM   #9
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt The Car Nut View Post
Um, it was the first 2009 delivered at the dealership, um...
nobody likes a smart ass , kid.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 09:08 PM   #10
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

Of course it drives better than a Cayenne turbo. The Cayenne doesn't have the X-drive. There's no match for the X-drive cornering skills.

Hey, you mention your dad way too often. What's exactly you age? No offense.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 12:47 PM   #11
Matt The Car Nut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
nobody likes a smart ass , kid.
Oh, I wasn't being a smartass. I was just mimicking your "ums." I added an extra one for emphases. Many users of online forums use this technique to show annoyance with passive behavior of posters in a manor in which highlights the poster's own actions. Also, using the word "kid" in a derogatory fashion enhances my point.

But, that's all the time I'll spend on you.

Have a good one.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #12
Matt The Car Nut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
Would you say the X6 handles noticeably better than the Cayenne Turbo? I would assume yes but I have never driven one.
There is no comparison between the way in which the BMW drives v. the Cayenne Turbo. Granted, the Cayenne didn't have PASM, or DPC. But the Cayenne's horrid throttle response, lack of steering feedback, and turbo lag made for a disconnected driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 12:53 PM   #13
Matt The Car Nut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akraptor View Post
Of course it drives better than a Cayenne turbo. The Cayenne doesn't have the X-drive. There's no match for the X-drive cornering skills.

Hey, you mention your dad way too often. What's exactly you age? No offense.
I mention my dad because it is his car. I'm 25 and very close with my parents. My friends think this is strange, because American culture inhibits closeness between parents and their kids. It's a little sad.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 02:29 AM   #14
kpark
Registered
Rep
Drives: X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt The Car Nut View Post
I mention my dad because it is his car. I'm 25 and very close with my parents. My friends think this is strange, because American culture inhibits closeness between parents and their kids. It's a little sad.
i am 40, and i have always wish i was closer to my dad...

BTW, so that this post is relavent, i am eagerly awaiting my Alpine White X6 35i delivery in days
Appreciate 0