XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Reasons to have regular tires on your BMW - Part II

So what do you think, article seems a little bias to me and not sure about some of their facts. I've read you can repair a RF if puncture is in the center of tire.

Reasons to have regular tires on your BMW - Part II
http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/03/17/re...r-bmw-part-ii/
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 08:04 PM   #2
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
I will be replacing my run flats with non-runflats once I wear them out which is why I ordered the spare tire. They are cheaper and offer a better ride and usually better performance.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
Puttputtmaru
Rep
Drives: X6 35i vermilion and Mini S

There is a comment in the part one Reasons to have regular tires on your BMW: one guy said that the regular tires didn't stay on the rim. The same thing happened to me with my Mini Cooper S. Could be a coincidence or just bad intallation. But may be someone else had the same experience.

If you put on regular tires how do you get around the computer gizmo.

Last edited by Puttputtmaru; 03-17-2009 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
I will be replacing my run flats with non-runflats once I wear them out which is why I ordered the spare tire. They are cheaper and offer a better ride and usually better performance.

Mine came with a spare which is good since I run around middle of nowhere. if RF goes I can drive the 150 miles to civilization and if I'm farther out have the spare to use then or if local civilization does have the RF. I agree RF's do wear out sooner , I know this from my wife's car.
I was also wondering if there were any issues switching from RF's to regular tires, other than resetting tire monitor are there any issues with the rims ?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 10:13 PM   #5
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
Mine came with a spare which is good since I run around middle of nowhere. if RF goes I can drive the 150 miles to civilization and if I'm farther out have the spare to use then or if local civilization does have the RF. I agree RF's do wear out sooner , I know this from my wife's car.
I was also wondering if there were any issues switching from RF's to regular tires, other than resetting tire monitor are there any issues with the rims ?
I believe I read somewhere that you can install regular tires on RF rims but you can't install RF tires on regular rims. So you should be ok switching from RF tires (on RF type rims) to normal tires.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 10:15 PM   #6
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Forgot to mention that RF type rims usually are stronger since they need to absorb more force that gets transferred by the stiffer sidewalls of the RF tires.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 10:35 PM   #7
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I had a quick read on both part one and part two.

My own choice and opinion on this subject: I prefer the RF tires over the regular tires and am glad I don't have to lug around a useless spare.

Now in defense of the the RF, you also have to consider that they are a fairly new development (I believe they are into the 2nd generation of RF now?!?). Give it a few more years and lots more research and performance and comfort will improve and cost will come down (as with everything else, new stuff costs more).

I agree that BMW should offer a choice to consumers that would much rather buy non-RF tires with their new car. I can also understand BMW point of view. I do believe that in a few years, the RF tires will eventually outsell regular tires on most new cars (again taking into consideration that they will improve them!).

In any case, I think if people prefer to have regular tires and a spare, they should be able to buy the car like that and if people prefer to have RF mounted with no spare that BMW should offer that as an alternative.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 11:16 PM   #8
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post

I agree that BMW should offer a choice to consumers that would much rather buy non-RF tires with their new car. I can also understand BMW point of view. I do believe that in a few years, the RF tires will eventually outsell regular tires on most new cars (again taking into consideration that they will improve them!).

In any case, I think if people prefer to have regular tires and a spare, they should be able to buy the car like that and if people prefer to have RF mounted with no spare that BMW should offer that as an alternative.
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 03:44 AM   #9
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Yesterday i put my 21 inches with RFT Dunlop and ride is very good and comfort...i prefer RFT because security reasons and keeping my alloys clean from curbs and road holes.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 11:51 AM   #10
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

Who gets 50K miles on regular tires ? Not anyone in a highend BMW! The comparison for us should be versus high performance tires. I've got 15K on my 19" runflats and they look like they are good for at least another 10K and I think that will be pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 03:48 PM   #11
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

that is also true..i drove set of 18 inches RFT on my previous X3 for 4 years and more than 60K km ...so that is a good preference for me.
Appreciate 0