XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-10-2009, 10:40 PM   #1
artrosis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 ///M

Perforated Leather Questions

Are perforated leather seats not as good or strong because of the holes?

What are your thoughts and opinions on the regular leather seats vs the perforated seats offered in the X6?

I would like to know if you think perforated seats are more susceptible to wear and tear and how good they look compared to the full leather seats after a few years.

Would you recommend getting perforated seats over the regular leather seats if money is not a problem?

Im not including alcantara, im just simply talking about Leather vs Perforated Leather.

The Perforated leather seats come with the active ventilated seat package but Im starting to think maybe they wont look good after a couple years. Please share some nightmare pics if any and your thoughts on this topic. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 08:59 AM   #2
artrosis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Anyone? I need some insight on this please...

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
Rac10000
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman S

I think they'll look fine as long as you take care of them. But that goes for any leather seat. Also, they shouldn't be susceptible to additional wear and tear ... the holes are tiny!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
artrosis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rac10000 View Post
I think they'll look fine as long as you take care of them. But that goes for any leather seat. Also, they shouldn't be susceptible to additional wear and tear ... the holes are tiny!
Thanks for the input. I was just concerned about the life of them not being sealed up like regular leather seats. I figured that having tiny holes would make them more susceptible to dirt and water entering the holes and making mold or mildew in the seat itself.

In addition, I was cocerned with the fact that the holes may lead to premature wear and tear as in they might wear out faster not being completely connected.

Any other input would be appreciated, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

If your seats wear out during the course of your warranty period. That would be considered pre-mature wear and should be covered under warranty. In the past, I have had shift knobs, steering wheel covers even buttons on the dash replaced under warranty. I would ask your SA and see what he says.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #6
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

perforated leathers

Quote:
Originally Posted by artrosis View Post
Anyone? I need some insight on this please...

I've had perforated leather seats in my MB 126 S class for 240,000 km & where the seats get the most wear? On the seat & back pads closest to the door, that's the initial sitting down & slide in/rub action giving the most wear. the center portion of the seat where there's perforation has not much wear just more shine.
Mind u, i use zymol leather cleaner & leather creme to maintain & don't wear pants with metal rivets/buttons.
So it depends on the quality of the leather in the first place, location of the peforations & how you get in & out of your seat, what u wear & how u maintain.
If ur located in hot tropical climate comfort outweighs the worries.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
sariggs1
Scott R.
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 xDrive 50I

Garage List
2012 X6 50I  [0.00]
2006 Volvo XC90 V8  [0.00]
2001 996 Turbo  [0.00]
I'm not a fan becuase the cleaner / moisturizer gets in the holes. I just never feel like they are clean enough. Never had them long enough to see wear. I opted out on my X6.
Black Sapphire Metallic with Saddle Brown Nevada Leather, Comfort Access keyless entry, Running boards, Rear-View Camera, Dark Bamboo wood trim, HUD, HD Radio, Satellite Radio, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Rear Climate Package, Sport Package, Euro Black Kidney Grill, Euro Side Markers, Black Double Spoke 215 Wheels...
Appreciate 0