XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
retusn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Performance Center Delivery

Got home last night after doing the performance center delivery. It is an experience I would do again in a heartbeat.
The day started out with the trip to the performance center. After a good orientation of the different safety features of the BMW line and an introduction of the driving instructors we were off to the track. I picked up the X5M and there were two others picking up their M5's. The three of us went over to the track and started to get familiar with the handling of our cars. It was a short road circuit and gave us the feeling of how well the vehicles handled, braked and accelerated. We next went over to the skid pad, polished concrete watered down. We used the M5's for the skid pad. With DSC off, M mode and then on. What a difference the three modes are. I can fully understand when they say if you take off DSC you will more than likely wreck. We all had a chance to spin out the M5's and then the instructor took us for a run power sliding around the skid pad. Awesome experience.
We next did the ABS braking run. Taking stop from 40, 45 and 50 while steering.
From there they cleared the whole track and set up a full run for hot laps with the instructors in the M5's. Great run and makes you appreciate the power for the M5.
We split up to two groups. Our group took some X5 and X3's over a little off road coarse and then over to the plant for a tour. Very good tour and pretty amazing how they assemble the X3's.
On our way back to the performance center we did another off road trip, through 22 inches of water, like crossing a pond, then raising once side up to show the X drive capabilities. Next was up a hill and stopping at the top with the Right rear in the air about 20 degrees. Pretty cool photo opportunity.
Next we did another hill climb and down a nice rocky road. We turned on the Hill Descent Control and demonstrated how it holds the vehicle to 7 MPH on its own coming down a hill off road. Impressive little feature.
We then headed back over to the Center for some lunch.
After lunch I did the delivery on the X5M. Very informative and professional. The day wrapped up around 1:30 after delivery and I hit the road coming home. 8.5 hours later I got home. I average about 17.6 MPG on the highway for the trip home.
At the center,

A little skid pad action:

Climbing the hill:

Up in the air:

Overall a great day. I wonder how the driving school would be?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
BeamerandBimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S63tu

Great fun!

I love that place. I've never done PCD. I just lack the patience. I have been to the Performance Center for two motorcycle classes, a one day M class with my local BMWCCA chapter another one day M class(free with my M5) and a two day car control class while my daughter was doing the teen version.

Going back in the spring with my son.
Past BMWs;'22M850 Conv, '19 SG M5(ED 5/19),14 Ionic Silver i3, '16 S1000XR, '16 Azurite Black M5, '07 G650X-Challenge, '10 R1200GSA, '15 Mineral Gray M4, '14 S1000R,'10 Alpine White 135ia M-Sport, '13 Carbon Black X5 50i, '10 Carbon Black M5, '07 Graphite K1200GT, '08 335ia, '05 545i, '04 R1150R, '03.5 M3 Cabrio, '00 540ia, '97 M3 sedan, '97 540ia
Appreciate 0