XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

01-30-2014, 12:05 PM   #1
RedG
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6, G35

Is this noise normal at 80mph and above?

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum I bought an X6 and I noticed there is a terrible flapping noise coming from the sunroof at above 80mph, not only the noise but my ears feels like they are gonna pop. I had at 325i before and it never make this noise, also have been in plenty of other cars and they do not make this noise at the speeds mentioned.

I took it to the dealer, and they replaced the black piece that goes up. It made no difference. So I took it back and told them to replace the leg springs that make the black piece go up. Well the tech inspected the car and comes back to say this:
"This is a high vehicle and it is like that by design which he can not change, and that I am not suppose to drive with the sunroof opened at above 70mph", "That he test drove the vehicle to legal speed 70mph and it did not make any noise"

The videos below are of the flapping noise I'm talking about.

Is this normal for all you other X6 owners out there?

Thanks
Jose

Video 1

Video 2

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey X5M

If you crack a window, it relieves the air pressure within the cabin and eliminates this. Its a pain, but if I have my sunroof open, I usually have my windows open as well, just because I like the airflow, not because of the noise.
      01-31-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
RedG
United_States
Rep

Thanks spaceballs for the feedback, so I take it this is normal noise on the X6 and X5; and I just have to crack the window.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 11:46 AM   #4
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
On the X5, you don't get it unless you put the sunroof all the way back, after the first detente.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateX5M View Post
On the X5, you don't get it unless you put the sunroof all the way back, after the first detente.
That seems to be the key. If its all the way back, seems to create a vacuum within the cabin that then gets over-pressurized by the air flowing into it. The motion of the air trying to escape and air trying to get in creates the buffeting (sp?).
      01-31-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
That seems to be the key. If its all the way back, seems to create a vacuum within the cabin that then gets over-pressurized by the air flowing into it. The motion of the air trying to escape and air trying to get in creates the buffeting (sp?).
Yup - I think that's why they have the first detente. Don't know if it works the same in the X6 though - different size cabin and roof shape, presumably a different size sunroof also.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 03:39 PM   #7
RedG
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys I will try it later on today to the first detente, at least it looks like I might not be the only one which makes me feel a little better and maybe the tech was right after all.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 05:27 PM   #8
RedG
United_States
Rep

Just tried it to the first detente and it still does the same, you can hear the noise from the black deflector piece bouncing up an down.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 07:18 AM   #9
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep

If it wasn't so cold out, I would check mine to see at what point the noise starts. Maybe someone from a warmer spot of the country could try to figure out what speed it starts.
      02-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #10
RedG
United_States
Rep

^+1 that would be awesome if other members can share their experience to see if indeed is a design issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 02:02 AM   #11
Polow
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW x6 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedG View Post
^+1 that would be awesome if other members can share their experience to see if indeed is a design issue.
same issue!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 05:29 PM   #12
RedG
United_States
Rep

Hi guys, I'm happy to report the issue has been solved. They replaced the sunroof deflector with some other one that has more tension on the springs. When you touch it you can instantly feel that it is at least 3 times stronger.
I drove the truck at higher speeds than 80mph and had no issues.

Here is what I did?
After I originally took the truck in for the problem and they didn't solve it, I made sure I answered the survey email they send as a follow up which I sent to corporate too.

*Days after the guy responsible for the mechanics at the dealer called me and ask me about the issue. I told him what his mechanic had told me and that this was a ridiculous answer and it was not acceptable.
*He ask me to come by the dealer so we can together test drive the truck, I did, and he noticed the problem saying it didn't seen to be usual. He told me he would test drive another X6 and get back to me. I told him I would test drive another also at another dealer and if indeed it was like that by design I had no other choice but to close my mouth, but if it wasn't that I don't think it was right and they should fix the problem. He gladly agreed being very helpful.
*Days later he called me and told me he test drove one and that definitely the noise mine was making was not normal, he asked me to come back again to the dealer so the Original tech that had said it was by design can see the issue. I did, the tech took a test drive with me and this time agreed that it was not normal.
They contacted it BMW engineering and got the part to fix it after a couple of weeks, the same tech replaced it, and now I can enjoy my lovely sunroof how it should be.

So if you having the same issue, don't take no for an answer and take it to corporate if you have to.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0