XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-16-2018, 06:32 PM   #243
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
I ended up buying WiFi usb modem from Amazon for $40 put it on my AT&T plan for $20 extra a month but now every time I turn on my car I'm pretty much on the internet right away.
So no more reaching for my phone etc.,
I know there are other options such as FreedomPop where you can get independent sim etc., in my case I found it easer just to add it to my existing account.

I hope this helps!
You also have an option of using tasker to enable tethering once it connects to your car BT.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 10:26 AM   #244
fantaxp7
Rep
Drives: 2014 xDrive50i Msport

Hello,

Could someone help me on how to route the usb cables to the glove box and aux to the center arm rest?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 11:01 AM   #245
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantaxp7 View Post
Hello,

Could someone help me on how to route the usb cables to the glove box and aux to the center arm rest?

Thanks

Consider this option...

The square panel (with lighter, aux, usb) pops out, you just have to pry from the top edge out. I used a triangle file to start the cutouts on the square panel, then finished with a small rounded file. Note, there is some overlapping edged trim behind that square panel. You have a choice to cut deeper into the square panel or cut into the square panel AND the edged trim behind the square panel. In the image, I did the latter.

ALSO, the avin USB cable given enough slack to comfortably mount the monitor, only reaches to the point shown. I purchased a 1m USB extension and the slack can be easily stowed under the shifter assembly. The shifter assembly only has 4 bolts holding it down and lifts out VERY easily (assumes you already removed shifter cover trim). From under the shifter assembly, there is open access to armrest console area in the picture.

Good luck.

Jeremy

Last edited by argento; 02-19-2018 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 08:01 AM   #246
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
My overall impression of the system is very positive. Everything works perfectly for me so far.

Now i want to add a backup camera and a dash cam. Any suggestions?

Also, where is the SD card slot? Cant find that lol.

I found that setting the AUX volume in the OEM OS to 1 notch below center and the AVIN media volume to 70 yielded nearly perfect sound. When I had the OEM AUX vol set to 100% and the same with the AVIN the sound was horrid and tinny.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 08:27 AM   #247
fantaxp7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
Consider this option...

The square panel (with lighter, aux, usb) pops out, you just have to pry from the top edge out. I used a triangle file to start the cutouts on the square panel, then finished with a small rounded file. Note, there is some overlapping edged trim behind that square panel. You have a choice to cut deeper into the square panel or cut into the square panel AND the edged trim behind the square panel. In the image, I did the latter.

ALSO, the avin USB cable given enough slack to comfortably mount the monitor, only reaches to the point shown. I purchased a 1m USB extension and the slack can be easily stowed under the shifter assembly. The shifter assembly only has 4 bolts holding it down and lifts out VERY easily (assumes you already removed shifter cover trim). From under the shifter assembly, there is open access to armrest console area in the picture.

Good luck.

Jeremy
Thanks!

This got me going and I was able to put everything back into place. Much appreciated.

Unfortunately I did something stupid that I thought was smart.

Looks nice and clean...however I did not look behind where I pulled that piece out to see the piece of plastic in the empty space preventing me from putting it back. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #248
argento
Captain
Rep

What if you deleted your lighter and put the USB's there? Looks good! AND I'm jealous of that easy access hole you made for the aux cable...it's screaming for a grommet :-)
      02-20-2018, 09:54 AM   #249
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenEye View Post
My overall impression of the system is very positive. Everything works perfectly for me so far.

Now i want to add a backup camera and a dash cam. Any suggestions?

Also, where is the SD card slot? Cant find that lol.

I found that setting the AUX volume in the OEM OS to 1 notch below center and the AVIN media volume to 70 yielded nearly perfect sound. When I had the OEM AUX vol set to 100% and the same with the AVIN the sound was horrid and tinny.
SD slot is virtually inaccessible on the left side gap between monitor and dash.

Thanks for the aux setting info...can't wait to try that!
      02-20-2018, 10:13 AM   #250
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
SD slot is virtually inaccessible on the left side gap between monitor and dash.

Thanks for the aux setting info...can't wait to try that!
Yea, i was pretty upset when i heard all the feedback on the line but then I noticed the clipping and i was like, damn this is unusable. I figured the gain was too sensitive and causing the sound to become one dimensional pretty much just all mids. Adjusted the volumes/sensitivity and bang, sounds great now.

I did have a quick charger plugged into the lighter in the armrest which i disconnected before adjusting the volume/sensitivity but that didn't seem to make a difference. Ill plug it back in today to ensure it was not impacting the sound.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 01:14 PM   #251
fantaxp7
Rep

Quote:
What if you deleted your lighter and put the USB's there? Looks good! AND I'm jealous of that easy access hole you made for the aux cable...it's screaming for a grommet :-)
Haha thanks, yes indeed it needs a grommet.

Deleting the lighter is an option. I still need to either patch up the hole or get a whole new one.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 02:10 PM   #252
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantaxp7 View Post
Haha thanks, yes indeed it needs a grommet.

Deleting the lighter is an option. I still need to either patch up the hole or get a whole new one.
Lighter is good if you want to grab a quick charge adapter.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 02:20 PM   #253
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:

My AVIN Media Volume max is 40. I purchased mine in early Jan, assuming yours is more recent, I wonder if this is the volume fix?
      02-20-2018, 02:35 PM   #254
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
My AVIN Media Volume max is 40. I purchased mine in early Jan, assuming yours is more recent, I wonder if this is the volume fix?
hmm maybe i misremember, ill check when i get home but im almost sure it was 0-80.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 07:57 AM   #255
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardR0404 View Post
When my model x is here i have more than what you have lol. if you are happy with these 2008 technology then good for you.
Oh my. Oh my.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 12:26 PM   #256
DJLoky06
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 E70

Mic anyone?

I've just installed Avin in my X5 E70. The installation went smooth once I learned that I need to move my optical cables to the new connector manually.

I have a question about the Mic. There is a cable at the back of the device that is labeled 'mic'. I assume there is no internal mic in the device anymore but I have to hook up clip-on-mic of some sort?

Can anyone confirm?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #257
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLoky06 View Post
I've just installed Avin in my X5 E70. The installation went smooth once I learned that I need to move my optical cables to the new connector manually.

I have a question about the Mic. There is a cable at the back of the device that is labeled 'mic'. I assume there is no internal mic in the device anymore but I have to hook up clip-on-mic of some sort?

Can anyone confirm?
In an earlier post boneca mentioned the small pin hole on the left side of the monitor is the mic...
      02-22-2018, 12:53 PM   #258
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLoky06 View Post

Can anyone confirm?
+1

Voice input says there is no device. I bought a mic that i was goint to install on the input. Weirdly the phone works fine over bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 12:55 PM   #259
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
hmm maybe i misremember, ill check when i get home but im almost sure it was 0-80.
Was it 0-80 on your unit? or 0-40?
      02-23-2018, 12:13 AM   #260
k5james
Rep
Drives: Looking for 35d/335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsnake View Post
here is a competitor version of android unit with 2Gb of RAM and better CPU
https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/NaviT...OrigTitle=true
Anyone tried this upgraded version yet? For the same price you might as well get the better processor and more ram even if it's only slight upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 12:25 AM   #261
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

That UI is available by downloading a different launcher mentioned on the XDA Developers thread and none of the seats, air quality, etc stuff actually works for our vehicles. As for it's upgrades, anyone can say anything, so until someone is ready to be the guinea pig while also hoping things work out buying through Alibaba (I've never done it before), I'm fine with how mine handles based on my needs from it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 12:36 AM   #262
k5james
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
That UI is available by downloading a different launcher mentioned on the XDA Developers thread and none of the seats, air quality, etc stuff actually works for our vehicles. As for it's upgrades, anyone can say anything, so until someone is ready to be the guinea pig while also hoping things work out buying through Alibaba (I've never done it before), I'm fine with how mine handles based on my needs from it.
I've purchased from Alibaba before but nothing at this price point. Just some cheap blue tooth speakers. You're probably right. I just need it to be able to run Netflix and a few other media streaming apks.

These are the radio based options my vehicle has...

S3AHABackup camera and Top View
S609ANavigation system Professional
S615AExpanded BMW Online Information
S620AVoice control
S639APreparation f mobile phone cpl. USA/CDN
S645ABMW US Radio
S655ASatellite tuner
S676AHiFi speaker system
S697AArea-Code 1 for DVD
S6AAABMW TeleServices
S6ABAControl for Teleservices
S6FLAUSB/Audio interface
S6NFAMusic interface for Smartphone
S6NRAApps
S6UHATraffic Information
S6VCAControl for Combox

Besides a GPS splitter and upgraded Aux cable are there any other "must get" items I should order?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 01:36 AM   #263
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Don't get me wrong, I'd appreciate more performance, but at the same time I don't feel this unit is lacking. I don't know what kind of buyer protections Alibaba offers. I'm sure between here and XDA, you'd get all the support you need with either unit you choose to buy.

I use Netflix or Showbox (makes Netflix almost useless) often while having Waze running in the background. While I can have PIP video running via SD card movies and Waze at the same time so I can have both visible, the unit doesn't have multi window unless it's rooted and a custom app is installed. I'd love to be able to have it look like the stock CIC where I can have a movie going on the left 3/4 of the screen and then navi on the right 1/4 of the screen, but I haven't rooted yet...yet.

I think those two items should just about cover it. GPS splitter from AVIN then aux cable from wherever you find the best price. Upgrading the aux is something I need to do as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 01:38 AM   #264
k5james
Rep

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm going to have my ride apart doing the stereo I might as well do this while I'm at it.
Appreciate 0