XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-14-2017, 05:48 PM   #1
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Update!

Got the wheel on and absolutely love it! The scroll wheel works great and I can custom make it work as a volume knob and the + & - work as next track or swap it so the scroll wheel works as next track and so on.

The cruise control now works from the steering wheel vs the lever so I will be removing the lever and filing the hole. One less lever will be nice.

Working with car systems on making a custom software to use the M1 and M2 buttons for heat and whatever else that comes to mind as well as getting the paddles to work.

All in all very happy and updates the interior Nicely !

Also a big plus was getting rid of the recalled airbag as it be 2+ years to get a new one and not wanting to drive around with a shrapnel grenade in front of me.

Well starting a new project, and not wanting to wait 2 years for a air bag recall so I decided on adapting this wheel to the e70. It will have full functionality and cruise control will also work from the wheel so I can get rid of that unergonomic stalk behind the wheel. Also will have vibration control for heat, will vibrate once for on and twice for off.
The roller wheels for music and such will work soooooooo much better and also pair better with the NBT EVO system as well. As well as having a safe airbag.

Should look pretty sick when all completed. Will also compliment the round features in the interior better. I think for the most part the steering wheel in my X5 is one of the things that date the interior the most.

I would also like to thank motive mods and car systems for making the tech possible to do this swap.
Motive mods do the shift paddles and car systems make the module for the steering wheel controls.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
bandwagn231.00
cncmastr1568.50
Nexo13.00
TTV8M113.50
      07-14-2017, 06:15 PM   #2
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

haha! now this is a project!

Let us know your lessons learned and additional parts. Are you going to try to get it fully functioning before NBT install?

It's a shame that even if I did this on my D, the paddle shifters would not work for my car.
      07-14-2017, 06:27 PM   #3
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
haha! now this is a project!

Let us know your lessons learned and additional parts. Are you going to try to get it fully functioning before NBT install?

It's a shame that even if I did this on my D, the paddle shifters would not work for my car.
You can get the paddles working actually !

The NBT evo is already installed.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 06:36 PM   #4
F06msportmia
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Well starting a new project, adapting this wheel to the e70. It will have full functionality and cruise control will also work from the wheel so I can get rid of that unergonomic stalk behind the wheel. Also will have vibration control for heat, will vibrate once for on and twice for off.
The roller wheels for music and such will work soooooooo much better and also pair better with the NBT EVO system as well.

Should look pretty sick when all completed. Will also compliment the round features in the interior better. I think for the most part the steering wheel in my X5 is one of the things that date the interior the most.
Nice project!

I think it's plug and play... at least the steering wheel is, not sure about the controls.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 06:38 PM   #5
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Nope I can get the paddles working actually !

what X5 model do you have?
      07-14-2017, 06:48 PM   #6
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Quote:
Nope I can get the paddles working actually !

what X5 model do you have?
Just the 35i premium, The rout I'm going is not cheap however it's about 400 just to get the paddles working but it's possible.

The wheel is the same shaft but theirs a few modifications that need to be made and the module needed for the buttons to work will run about $200.

The wheel is up to you, this was a brand new wheels fully loaded with airbag so it wasn't cheap.

It's got to be from an f10 however as the splines are the same as it used the same shaft.

The prices range from 500 to 2k so theirs a lot of room for variance. Seems most of the mods for this vehicle is in the range of 1500 to 2k lately lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 06:39 AM   #7
Kakalika
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d M Sport

Subscribed!!
      07-15-2017, 06:44 AM   #8
Lunker325
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M / 991.2 C4S

Very interesting, looking forward to the progress and updates. I've done heated steering wheel retrofits in my previous e39 M5 and my current e90 M3. Not cheap, but easier than it seems and always worth it!
      07-15-2017, 07:17 AM   #9
bmwf17
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw e series

It is possible, but need very acurate work, because its safety !
Attached Images

Last edited by bmwf17; 07-15-2017 at 07:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 07:26 AM   #10
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwf17 View Post
It is possible, but need very acurate work, because its safety !
Yep ! In fact it was two years out before I get the airbag recall so this way I override the airbag recall with this new airbag. So no more worries of shrapnel in the face.

The wires on the airbag are the same so that's a direct plug and play as is the wheel, the only tuff part is re wiring the pins so that the proper functions work with the new buttons.

I'll have a write up when completed. Still waiting on some parts.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 07:41 AM   #11
bmwf17
Registered
Rep

New steering wheel airbag has only 1 stage.Old E70 steering wheel has 2 stage airbag.
You need to code Airbag module for that and connect only 2 wires.(old steering wheel airbag has 4 wires)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 07:42 AM   #12
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
New steering wheel airbag has only 1 stage.Old E70 steering wheel has 2 stage airbag.
You need to code Airbag module for that and connect only 2 wires.(old steering wheel has 4 wires)
Correct a euro airbag has one stage, this has a two stage installed as I already checked! When purchased I made sure it had the correct airbag to work so no problems their. Theirs two connections on the back of it.

When I started getting parts I wanted this to be a no coding needed retrofit.

If I wanted to use the same airbag that my e70 already has I could have just bought the airbag cover and swapped the airbag but I didn't want the bad recalled airbag.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 07:46 AM   #13
bmwf17
Registered
Rep

oh! I am from europe, so dont know if new F10-F15 steering wheel airbag can have 2 stages too.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 07:51 AM   #14
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
oh! I am from europe, so dont know if new airbag can have 2 stages too.
No biggie just different regulations for different countries. Don't know if it's any safer or not but want it to be right for the country it resides in.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 01:55 AM   #15
bmwf17
Registered
Rep

I can upload more foto about steering wheel change if someone interesting
I did it 2 years ago.Only not installed heating option,because not buy new steering wheel cassete (ribbon).Have angry wife - not let to live in garage )))
Paddles after modification works too.
My engine is 3.5 sd 2008 preLCI.
Believe me the drive feeling is super! The new steering wheel leather is soft and very emotional

Last edited by bmwf17; 07-16-2017 at 02:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 06:57 AM   #16
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did it 2 years ago.Only not installed heating option,because not buy new steering wheel cassete (ribbon).Have angry wife - not let to live in garage )))
Believe me the drive feeling is super! The new steering wheel leather is soft and very emotional
Sure anything to help get the message out to people the better. More the merrier! .
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 11:58 AM   #17
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
This, the same in every country

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 01:15 PM   #18
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
Quote:
This, the same in every country
So true
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #19
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
congrats on getting this done finally
I knew it was in works for a while but as many other things
This is also on my list to do eventually!
Good call on brand new Air Bag, I'm sure it wasn't cheap!
Not sure I understand why you got the M version of the wheel as you already had regular version from f10, those M buttons wont do anything on 35i unless they reused for other purpose?
Me on other hand I will must have the M version having an M.
If I recall correctly from the installation instructions on that Lithuanian site that sells the adapter it will require some kind of drilling
Is that still the case?

Once again, congrats brother!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 08:51 AM   #20
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
congrats on getting this done finally
I knew it was in works for a while but as many other things
This is also on my list to do eventually!
Good call on brand new Air Bag, I'm sure it wasn't cheap!
Not sure I understand why you got the M version of the wheel as you already had regular version from f10, those M buttons wont do anything on 35i unless they reused for other purpose?
Me on other hand I will must have the M version having an M.
If I recall correctly from the installation instructions on that Lithuanian site that sells the adapter it will require some kind of drilling
Is that still the case?

Once again, congrats brother!
Thanks man!!

The M version was just because the price was the same as the other version and liked the look better, both f10 styles where M wheels this one was just the newest style, I'm making an M sport out of mine as it where, and not trying to make an M clone just making it my own and not getting caught up in the whole M stuff doesn't belong on a non M car, having owned many BMW's now I'm sooooo over the whole M not an M thing just love modding . It will never where an M badge on the deck lid so no posing their hell it isn't wearing any badge their anyhow . However that 135is I had a bit ago had so many Factory M badges you'll drown in them! Lol.

The M buttons are up for grabs and will be used for extra features I can program in, like the heated wheel option. For example the M1 button will be used for heat and the steering wheel will vibrate once for on and twice for off. And will have an extra button to program whatever else. Trust me if I'm spending what I'm spending on these small mods I'm making sure I get the most out of them ! Don't want any useless buttons anywhere. Having the M buttons also made the best sense as their kind of generic anyway so that way the button i program with a different function won't look like a auto cruise button and be confusing. So to me the M1 and M2 stands for "MULTIFUNCTION - 1" and "Multifunction 2".

The drilling is to make the little flap so that it will click off your turn signal. Instead of drilling and using a screw I'm actually forming a metal flap so it will look identical to the flap that's their.
It will serve the same purpose as the screw just executed differently.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 09:05 AM   #21
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
^ that's sounds great looking forward for final result