XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-08-2015, 02:21 PM   #1
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

X5 ownership Journal - 2012 X5 50i M Sport

Greetings all,
Longtime BMW owner / fan here. Finally got myself a CPO 2012 X5 50i M Sport, Sapphire Black on black.
History: I bought the car of my dreams back in 2001, a cherry e36 M3 coupe. I instantly bonded with the car, enjoyed the heck out of it for years, did several BMW track schools. I was due to replace it (would have bought an e46 M3) when my wife's car (e46 325) got totaled (by an ignorant driver) just 4 days before our wedding. Well the insurance payout got her into a brand new e90 328 sedan, which has been a really good car. However that put my replacement on hold indefinitely.... Then along came the kids. We thought about trading my M3 for an suv/crossover/something, but were able to put it off for 5 years. The 328 held its own well. But, with impending kindergarten for our oldest and lots of kid activities on the horizon, it was time.

I had done research and decided a year or two ago that I was going to have to get an X5. However I had my defaults set on a 35i model. As most of you prob know, once you start shopping your must-have list starts swelling... and we had saved up plenty to pay cash for something nice. My wife and I agree on few things, but we like to get nice things that will last a while.

Anyway I hit this forum up for some info, and a few of you were very helpful (shout out to Jeff!) in resolving some of the confusion I had around some options, and what exactly some of the VIN coding meant. I was pretty set on searching for a CPO model, had to expand my search quite a bit beyond locally to find vehicles I was interested in. In the process I set my sights on the 50i with M Sport.

If I have to be honest, this is more vehicle than I NEEDED. The giant 20" wheels and mega wide tires make me laugh when I look at them. I have an interest in striking a balance between efficiency, performance and driving fun. The 6 cyl with paddles and sport package might have fit the bill just fine. But on the other hand, I kind of had a "hall pass" to get whatever the heck I wanted, so I went for it!

Found this guy at a BMW dealer in Springfield IL. However it was over 10 hrs away, and they wanted quite a bit to ship it. Coincidentally, as I was trying to decide if I should fly out and get it or what, TWO days later my boss asked me to go to St Louis (from Charlotte) on a business trip. I looked at the map and dang it was only 90 miles to the dealer from there! I asked the Dealer if that was close enough to deliver at no charge and they agreed. Bought it "Long Distance" (only viewing pics and lots of scans of the CPO inspection docs). I had to wait 3 more weeks for the trip but ended up flying out on my employer and driving it 750 miles home (even billed my mileage too). Nice way to get to know the vehicle.

Well, here it is!

Name:  My new ride.jpg
Views: 4076
Size:  178.5 KB

Oh wait, I built that for my 5 y.o. to show him what the new car would look like.

This is the full size version:
Name:  X5 rear corner a.jpg
Views: 3577
Size:  247.8 KB

And this is the day I brought it home. I was washing bugs off it and getting the M3 ready for a guy to come look at it. He ended up putting a deposit on it that night and in a week it was gone! Talk about nice timing.

Name:  old new.jpg
Views: 3565
Size:  213.0 KB

I actually felt it inside when the new owner drove the M3 away. 14 years is a long time to own a car. It had done its duty extremely well and spent the last ~4 years mostly in the garage, so it was time to send it to a good home. The new owner will be doing lots of track days with it - yeeha!!

Meanwhile I am still learning the X5. This thing is loaded! I am going to take a break from typing now and put my impressions in the next post.

- Heatmizr / Todd
Charlotte NC
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star

Last edited by heatmizr; 10-23-2021 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2015, 02:34 PM   #2
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Congratulations again Todd, glad it all worked out. It looks great, and for those wondering, this X5 is loaded! Every package, and most of the options available

-Jeff
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2015, 03:15 PM   #3
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

Congrats it looks great...you won't be disappointed it's a fun truck. I actually just sold my E46 M3 today and just like you said...I felt it when the guy took off fish tailing it all the way up my block! Best part is in about 5-6 months if you're anything like me, you will get bored with the 400hp and buy an X5M lol
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2015, 03:22 PM   #4
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks Guys! Wow quick replies.

Ok, so. This vehicle has 27k miles, CPO'd through Feb 2018, and IT IS SO CLEAN! Practically still new. It has the following packages:
Active / Vented Seats
Cold Weather
M Sport
Premium
Premium Sound
Technology
20" double spokes (333)
Soft close doors
3rd row seat
Lane Departure
Rear Seat Entertainment
BMW Apps

First off, one of the reasons I liked X5s is that they are NOT TOO BIG. But it is still a major adjustment to what I am used to driving. It takes me 3 times longer to park, as I am being so careful. Additionally, all the rear and side camera functions and PDC tones are a lot to absorb at first. I'm getting better

This thing is Solid. Everything from the doors, tailgate to the rear entertainment screen is weighty and operates firmly and with a solid THUNK. It's also over a TON heavier than my M3 !! (Is it quicker to 60? Makes my mind melt)

The susp is WAY more stiff than I expected, as my research here indicated that the M Sport susp was the normal susp. Did I get this wrong? I'd be suprised if all X5's felt this firm. Possibly I am feeling the 20" run-flats? I wonder if 18-19" wheel packages feel less firm. I don't recall my friend's non- M Sport with the standard 18's feeling this firm. But, in addition to some harshness on initial sharp bumps, this thing barely leans at ALL in the turns. Again, I didn't think the non- Adaptive Drive susp would be quite this stout. Is it due solely to the air susp this has (this is a third row car)? If so it is pretty miraculous, and begs the question why you would need to spend (a lot) more for anything further. (disclaimer - I've never driven the Adaptive Drive)

The power. I had driven my buddy's twin turbo 8 so knew what to expect. If this vehicle weighed less, the power would feel much more brutal. As it is, the extra heft mutes it slightly when getting on the gas suddenly, but it moves out with authority - like a jet taking off - and the nicely civilized but burbly exhaust is just right for me. Kudos to the 8-sp tranny too, not sure they needed it with the endless torque on tap here but it probably gives it more fuel economy.
In normal driving I find that it rarely revs much above the 2k rpm mark, as I am putting a little more effort into driving it smoothly than I expected. The funky off-throttle turbo drag and stiff susp are combining to lengthen my adjustment period, as this is not a daily driver for me yet until this fall due to school schedules.

I have to express my amazement that such a heavy vehicle can be made to handle like this. The steering is pretty heavy, though.

Since I got the vibrating wheel with Lane Departure, I did not get the steering wheel paddles that I kind of wanted. Apparently they can't fit both in the wheel due to wiring limitations. So far I am not missing them! Really not much need for them, and I can still shift manually with the lever. I have only dabbled briefly with Sport and Manual modes, more to come. I did notice that the shift lever shifts gears in Manual mode with much less resistance than our 328 lever.

And the Lane Departure itself is actually pretty useful, more so than I expected. The vibration is subtle, not too annoying, but I did disable it on a stretch of twisty highway when I wanted to hug the lines more. It vibrates if you even get close to the lane lines.

I did try the active seat on the long drive home, its less massage and more alternating where your weight sits on your butt. I liked it enough, I'll use it on long trips. I played with the seat ventilation, I could detect it but it should prove much more valuable this summer when it gets hot & muggy.

I've heard so many folks ragging on the sound system. I am fairly discriminating, and this premium sound system is pretty damn good, by far the best OE system I have heard. It did take me a few hours of listening and tweaking, but it is sounding great to me. I ended up setting the EQ all flat, except the lowest 100hz setting, that is sitting at -1 to lessen the overwhelming low end thump this thing has. On the treble and bass settings I am running about +4 treble and IIRC flat on the bass.
I got a call from SiriusXM and got 3 free month trial, which I upgraded to 8 months total for $30 with tax. Good deal and I love satellite radio, I've never had it and its great. Already have 5 favorite channels.

Taking The Boss (that's my name for the X5, not my wife) to Hilton Head beach tomorrow for a week of vacation, so looking forward to getting some more quality time with it. And my family too I guess
Kids are psyched about the rear entertainment system for the 4 hr ride down!

Lots more to get familiar with so I don't feel like I am fumbling with the finer points, like programming the shortcut buttons, defaults for all the features, etc. And then do it all over again to set my wife's preferences... I think she is scared to drive it. She squealed the first time riding in it, as the seat "hugged" her, as she put it. I am not actually even sure what it did!

Oh I guess I should mention that since I picked up The Boss, I've been hearing a decent clunk in the front left susp area just when initiating a slow right turn. I am at the dealer right now, they can hear it too. And though they can't visibly see an issue, they are thinking tie rod end, but they have a Service Bulletin that tells them to change out the wheel bearing in this scenario. So I am setting up a return appt to have those done under warranty in a week or so. They assured me its safe to drive meanwhile.
e90 328i - sold

Last edited by heatmizr; 10-23-2021 at 07:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 07:31 PM   #5
sburke91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i

Congrats! I had an E36M3 in the same color (but sedan) from 2000-2003. It still amazes me that my 50i is faster than my M3 was.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 10:21 PM   #6
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Nice looking car! Congrats.

Couple of things:

1. did you investigate and look into the N63 engine campaign? If not, get it done! If the car has an original battery, get it changed.

2. Do a search on "e70 X5 m sport stone chips" ... Lots and lots of dissatisfied owners out there. Surprised that you haven't noticed paint chips on your rear wheel extensions from your long journey back. Dealer will repaint under a special goodwill allowance, but the problem will never go away ... 3M invisible stone guard may be a solution.

3. Too bad you didn't try out Adaptive Drive. You wouldn't be objecting to the stiff suspension with the Self Leveling feature you have because of 3rd row... Without question the best kept secret in these beasts!

4. The "funky off-throttle turbo drag" is probably a function of the N63 engine campaign needing to be done, or you may have to re-learn (reprogram) the transmission to your driving style.

Keep us updated ... They're fun trucks, but not without their quirks here and there.
      05-08-2015, 10:57 PM   #7
canonguy12
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 35i

Great looking car.. mind telling us how much you paid for it?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 09:02 PM   #8
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Congrats on the purchase. Very clean indeed, looks like it was well taken care of. Now comes the full detail!

My best friend bought a '14 Q7 S-Line last week and I drove it home from Houston. Although I prefer the way the vehicle looks, I have to say my 2011 X5 drives better. I really cannot complain about the E70, and although it's starting to look a bit dated, whenever I see my wife drive off in it, I always look at it until it leaves the street. Looks so good from the back with those massive tires...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 10:49 PM   #9
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR4 | L405 SC SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et
Looks so good from the back with those massive tires...
+1

Congrats OP - nice pick up. Curious to hear your thoughts on the MPG. From the previous vehicles you mentioned owning, um yeah well I was a bit surprised what I get in my 50i. It's all worth it- just a bit surprising.

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #10
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post

2. Do a search on "e70 X5 m sport stone chips" ... Lots and lots of dissatisfied owners out there. Surprised that you haven't noticed paint chips on your rear wheel extensions from your long journey back. Dealer will repaint under a special goodwill allowance, but the problem will never go away ... 3M invisible stone guard may be a solution

Do NOT hesitate to address this. I thought I had time, no big rush to do it. Nope, got the sandblasting before the winter was up - within 3-4K miles of purchasing it. I haven't reached out to the dealer yet, but I would have rather done the 3M protectant and avoided the issue altogether.
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2015, 12:46 PM   #11
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys!
Some answers to your Q's, a question back and an updated Clunk Status...

To PAX5: Yes the N63 campaign was done by the IL dealer I bought from, right before or after the prev owner traded it in. I have paperwork showing all work done and what was replaced (a decent list but not timing chain).
I assume the battery is original (it was NOT replaced for CPO certification). I will replace at first hint of erratic behavior (familiar with this with 2 other beemers).

I searched on "e70 stone chips..." and found nothing but this thread http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1107869
Is there another more relevant thread? Are you referring to the wheel well / fender extensions - specifically the *inside* of them?

Can you clarify what you mean by #3? Do you mean I should be happy with the air susp I have, or I missed out on the Adaptive Drive? Honestly it was such a rare option that I never saw one equipped how I needed that had AD.

On the low speed turbo drag, after more seat time (and seat time in a loaner 320i) it seems that its partly the turbo drag and partly the odd transmission behavior to not like to coast at very low speeds. It seems to be very "connected" when off-throttle in, say, a parking lot, very similar to driving a manual in first gear. Lots of engine drag. Not like how most auto trans decouple and coast. Just a personality trait I guess. Is there a way to initialize the tranny programming so it adapts to me better? or just wait a while?

Canonguy - I got a bit knocked off the asking price and paid $49.5k. Not cheap but I have to say this car is immaculate. I knew going in I needed CPO due to buying long distance and this would cost a bit more. I also factored in the low miles, the 4 brand new tires they installed and that the N63 campaign was done.

Moabite - hah yeah on the mpg... This is our second vehicle and my commute is 3 miles, so I have been trying to justify the low efficiency in my head. But - I beat the stated EPA mpg of 20 hwy by a full 1mpg on my trip home with it. And I was not dallying on the highway. I am running at a total combined 19.1mpg since I first sat in it (but that is with 2 big highway trips; it will fall steadily now I am sure).

Clunk Update...
After returning from vacation I brought it into the dealer to address the clunk in left front. They replaced a lower control arm, and it must not have solved it because they eventually found that the left front axle / nut thread interface was stripped(!). They mentioned that the engine must have come out for the N63 campaign work (really?) and the axle would have been removed at that time, and re-installed. The axle nut, once tightened, was then over-tightened stripping the final threads, so the nut had a bit of play on there.
I'm trying to find images of this so I can understand how that could create the solid clunking I was hearing, but they seem certain this is the cause. It's getting a new axle today, hopefully will get it back tonight or tomorrow. It will be easy to tell if its fixed as the clunk was very consistent when initiating right turns.
Once I get all the details on the final repair, I am considering calling the dealer I bought it from to let them know they F'd up. I can't imagine how much torque it would have taken to strip it. And this wasn't the easiest issue to diagnose.
I welcome any thoughts around this.
e90 328i - sold
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 12:48 PM   #12
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i

The few miles I drove the car, felt like a different car. Car was MUCH smoother, shifts were spot on and no lag with turbos but then all coolant sprayed everywhere. Hopefully car is done. I bought the car 2 weeks ago and drove it for 10min total
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 01:08 PM   #13
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatmizr View Post
I searched on "e70 stone chips..." and found nothing but this thread http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1107869
Is there another more relevant thread? Are you referring to the wheel well / fender extensions - specifically the *inside* of them?
Correct, the M Sports are known for paint damage/rock chips on the rear wheels arches and even the lower portion of the back door due to the wide wheels/tires and no running boards. Definitely not a reason to not get an M Sport.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 01:55 PM   #14
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburke91 View Post
Congrats! I had an E36M3 in the same color (but sedan) from 2000-2003. It still amazes me that my 50i is faster than my M3 was.
Is it faster really? Wow, it doesn't feel like it, but I have only stomped on it a couple times.
Actually while doing my cardio in the gym I did the rough math around this in my head, and it has similar hp-per-lb as the e36 M3, but a slightly higher torque-per-lb.
e36 M3: .077 hp/lb .069 tq/lb
e70 X5: .074 hp/lb .081 tq/lb
In any case, they're both fast! Now if it would corner like that M3... mmmmmm...
e90 328i - sold
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 02:00 PM   #15
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Correct, the M Sports are known for paint damage/rock chips on the rear wheels arches and even the lower portion of the back door due to the wide wheels/tires and no running boards. Definitely not a reason to not get an M Sport.
Hi Jeff,
So the *inside* painted lip of the rear arches (from the rear tire kickup),
and the outer lower body in front of the rear wheel which flares out quite a bit (from front wheel kickup)?
Is there a specific kit for these areas on our model? I know 3M makes good products.
e90 328i - sold
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 02:51 PM   #16
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi Jeff,
So the *inside* painted lip of the rear arches (from the rear tire kickup),
and the outer lower body in front of the rear wheel which flares out quite a bit (from front wheel kickup)?
Is there a specific kit for these areas on our model? I know 3M makes good products.
Hey Todd...referring to the areas below in orange. So not really the inside of the wheel arch, but the outside facing portion.

There's many different films out there...Xpel seems to be the most popular right now but 3M would work too.

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 04:02 PM   #17
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i

I am getting my car full wrapped by xpel as my shop in Sterling is certified now
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 07:55 PM   #18
sburke91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i

Quote:
Is it faster really? Wow, it doesn't feel like it, but I have only stomped on it a couple times.
Actually while doing my cardio in the gym I did the rough math around this in my head, and it has similar hp-per-lb as the e36 M3, but a slightly higher torque-per-lb.
e36 M3: .077 hp/lb .069 tq/lb
e70 X5: .074 hp/lb .081 tq/lb
In any case, they're both fast! Now if it would corner like that M3... mmmmmm...
The bulk of the 50i and the 8-speed auto trans masks how fast it's actually accelerating.

My absolute best 0-60 in my '98 E36M3 sedan was in the 5.2-5.3 second range, which so still pretty damn good for only 240HP.

My 2011 X5 50i w/ Velos tune regularly sees 4.7-4.9's, and I think there's a 4.5 in it, if I can figure out the optimal shift timing.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 06:26 PM   #19
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Final Clunk update.
Picked it up at dealer today. They replaced the LF axle under warranty, also checked out nearly everything in the chassis. Truck drives nice, no clunks, and all is right with the world again...
Seems that although the timing chain was not replaced for the N63 CCP back in Feb at the original dealer, they did have to replace the timing chain cover due to a leak. So the engine DID have to come out of the vehicle, and this was when the axle was damaged upon reinstall.
e90 328i - sold
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 12:15 AM   #20
goodmaj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Hey Todd...referring to the areas below in orange. So not really the inside of the wheel arch, but the outside facing portion.

There's many different films out there...Xpel seems to be the most popular right now but 3M would work too.

+1. This is an awesome, extremely accurate map and yes, we're not making this up. I had to get the rear doors/rockers/wheel arches resprayed and all colored areas are now covered with Xpel. I too am surprised nothing happened on the way back to NC.

OP, curious about your experience with Isringhausen. I've checked their cars while on various hunts and they have always seemed super pricey. Given you were hunting at least half of the country away, why did you go with them? Good on you they agreed to meet you here in STL.
      05-23-2015, 05:24 PM   #21
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep

I think you are right, they are kind of pricey. I had a very set list of a few Must-Have options, and I only saw one other car that fit, in Tampa, and I called the first day it hit the BMW CPO site and that shop had already taken a deposit on it.
I saw this one and discussed it with Isringhausen, and liked the fact it was a single-owner car and the prev owner was a 73 y.o. architect who was a loyal BMW fan, and had bought many vehicles from Isringhausen over the years.
Most importantly, it was the lowest mileage vehicle I'd seen out there. It is insane how many 2012-13 models had 40-50k miles on them, and I wasn't interested in a car with that kind of mileage.

So I did not seek to make a deal with that particular dealer; it could have been anywhere. Once I was sure I wanted THIS vehicle, I made a deal to secure it that I was comfortable with. I saw very few vehicles that matched my list, and was willing to spend what I did to get this particular one. I may have been able to get similar for less money eventually, but I was ready and I'm happy!

As far as the buying process, I am quite happy with the experience they gave me. I read on Yelp some issues with their service area, but others also rated the sales side of the business well.

BTW what is the significance of the diff colors in that pic?
e90 328i - sold
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 07:53 PM   #22
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BTW what is the significance of the diff colors in that pic?
The brighter the orange, the more prominent the rock chips. Yellow is lesser, and green lessor yet. The fact this isn't obvious to you is good Todd, you probably don't have an issue!

My vehicle is just fine, no significant rock chips in these areas. Furthermore, there's a guy who parks next to me at my local Park & Ride, he has a 2011 xDrive35i Carbon Black M Sport, and he has no rock chipping either. I have no idea on his mileage, but I know it's a 2011 because of the head lights, so his X has been on the road for 4+ years. This is mostly a non-issue…sure I bet some owners have some chipping here but it's not a huge deal IMO.

Last edited by jiggz; 05-23-2015 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 0