XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-04-2018, 06:40 PM   #23
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hofzer View Post
Stupid question. How in the heck do these evil connectors come apart?
Slide the white portion back. Then, squeeze the white portion down while pulling back the whole assembly do disconnect. I often have to do gently using pliers.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 06:42 PM   #24
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Question, maybe stupid one: Why mount the pump and container in the back?
If you open up passenger side front wheel well, you'd be surprised how much empty space there is that could easily fit that tank.
Edit: I see you are deleted. The container can be placed where Passive DEF tank is (passenger front wheel well, next to headlight), since you'd likely remove the DEF tank anyway.

Last edited by serge1; 02-05-2018 at 12:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
TTV8M118.00
      02-05-2018, 01:01 PM   #25
Hofzer
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge1 View Post
Question, maybe stupid one: Why mount the pump and container in the back?
If you open up passenger side front wheel well, you'd be surprised how much empty space there is that could easily fit that tank.
Edit: I see you are deleted. The container can be placed where Passive DEF tank is (passenger front wheel well, next to headlight), since you'd likely remove the DEF tank anyway.
I am not deleted. That is a different user.

Still, I'm afraid that it is your question that is good and my answer that is stupid: I didn't see a better option. I emailed with Snow Performance and verified that they recommended that the pump be below the tank (gravity feed/prime). I looked at the engine bay and didn't see obvious options. The back gave me room and an accessible place to mount the reservoir.

Also, I didn't find many (if any) examples of folks putting meth injection on X5d's. Hopefully the good and bad of my attempts are educational to the next person. Based on what you said, if I was to start again, I would seriously look at tapping the existing windshield washer fluid reservoir and mounting the pump in the wheel well. Hindsight....
      02-05-2018, 01:02 PM   #26
Hofzer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge1 View Post
Slide the white portion back. Then, squeeze the white portion down while pulling back the whole assembly do disconnect. I often have to do gently using pliers.
Thanks!
      02-06-2018, 07:07 PM   #27
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
I am not deleted. That is a different user.
Ah, you're right, it was photo by user 'Deftronix` showing EGR delete pipe along the same meth pump as you have.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 07:10 PM   #28
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Also, I didn't find many (if any) examples of folks putting meth injection on X5d's.
Correct, all examples I see are from 335ds. Thanks for going through this - I will likely use lessons you learn for mine. Appreciated
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #29
Hofzer
Rep

I took everything over the finish line this weekend.

It was a tight fit getting the charge air line ("CAL") out. I removed the brace in front. The top release for the CAL was easy. The bottom did not want to budge. Once I managed to "release" the bottom, I took the whole wire clip with me.

I scouted out a clear position for the nozzels, and then tried to image, as best I could, their path as I snaked the CAL out the top. I decided the best position for the vacuum/boost sensor tap and nozzles as on the inside, parallel with the belt.

I put some wadding along the CAL and taped in into position, using the throttle body connection as a reference. I knew as long as I was drilling 90 degrees from that opening, I would be good.

Drilling and tapping the plastic CAL was cake. I did so with my shop vac nozzel in the CAL. I then sprayed out the CAL and rammed some wadding through it with a rod. No plastic shaving for my diesel.

Snow sent plenty of line so I installed about 6' of that before re-installing the CAL. I wish the low profile 90 elbows were lower profile, but so be it.
Attached Images

02-12-2018, 10:16 AM   #30
Hofzer
Rep

Reinstall wasn't horrible. based on the substance on the CAL joints when I removed it, I used Vaseline as my "anti-friction agent."

The rubber line for the vacuum/boost sensor tore as I snaked the CAL into position. I had to run and buy longer line anyway, in order to rout it as I wanted.

You can see the nozzles ended up exactly where I wanted them. The top nozzle (which you can.t see) is very close to a protrusion on the fan housing, so I would put that a little lower if I was doing it again.

Getting the bottom of the CAL clipped into the IC was a bit of a pain. The first time I did it, I stepped on the pedal and heard a hiss. Sure enough, it popped out. I re-reinstalled and everything was well.

Pics are from the bottom up, obviously. You can see the pulleys/belt for reference.
Attached Images

02-12-2018, 10:20 AM   #31
Hofzer
Rep

It started getting dark (and close to other obligations) as I was finishing up, so I routed items quickly. I was careful installing the line clips not to drill or screw into the heat exchange below.

I left some slack to allow me to go back and tidy things up a bit. I think I must have left the lens in manual focus, which I used when crawling under for the pictures you see above, but you get the idea.
Attached Images

02-12-2018, 10:31 AM   #32
Hofzer
Rep

My test drive was brief and follows a surprise 4" of snow, so I can't really comment on performance.

My main nozzle is the Snow #3 175 ml/min; and my power or stage 2 nozzle is the Snow #6 625 ml/min. This is based on Snow's recommendation. If I get motivated I may swap the #3 for the included #5 nozzle. I do like that the #3 nozzle allows me to start injecting at low psi. Keeping the water flowing and encapsulating the carbon is priority number 1, not added performance (or so I keep telling myself).

After no hint of quench at my initial settings, I moved to starting stage 1 at 6 psi, maxing out at 17 psi, with the power nozzle kicking in at 19 psi. Still no hint of quench.

The vehicle goes to the dealer today to fix the tailgate (apparently both lifters are bad and not covered by the CPO, thanks BMW).

Once it warms up ill do some comparisons and follow up. As you might have noticed in these pics, I also have a CPA Chiptuning chip. I have a dashcommand App and OBDII reader. I'll do some stock/Chip/Meth/Meth+chip comparisons and let you know what I think. The app readings mean nothing, but I can set it to time 1/4 or 1/8, with intervals, starting with when I stomp the accelerator.
      06-13-2019, 11:58 AM   #33
cd66312
Registered
Rep
Drives: e70 x5d, a208 CLK320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftronix View Post
I have a torqbyte controller and will be installing soon. Reason for the delay being I'm trying to figure out a plan to re-purpose the passive def tank (almost 4.5gal capacity)for the reservoir, much more efficient use of space and already paid for it in the cost of the car. Have to create a block between the active and passive systems then tap into it somewhere else for a feed line. Will be nice filling it up under the hood instead of trying not to spill anything in the cargo area.

You think about doing an EGR race pipe instead of modifying your charge pipe? EGR delete is also another critical piece to reducing CBU, gives you two npt ports also. I will be putting another MAP sensor in the extra port (ahead of the nozzle).
Deftronix I know I'm pulling up a dead thread here, but really wanted to know if you ended up getting this working with the passive tank, I'm getting ready to install my kit (devilsown dvc30) that has been laying around my garage for a while and really wanted to go this route but haven't found anyone else who has done it. I'm between this and using the windshield wiper fluid resevoir, as I really don't want to add a tank to the trunk, love keeping the car as stock looking as possible inside and out, makes it more fun when I get to pull on someone.

Also using a single 640mil/min injector as I have a EGR race pipe that is already pre-threaded for fitment of a single injector. Any reason why people seem to use 2 small injectors instead of a single larger one?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 03:08 PM   #34
Juno01
Enlisted Member
Rep

The passive tank is under the car in the vicinity of the left passenger. The active tank is under the passenger side headlight/wheel well area.

I'm setup to use the active tank. I basically gutted it and routed the lines to the passive tank area where I put the pump (passive tank is gone). I have everything ready to wire up and finish but just haven't had time. I'll also be tapping into the race pipe for the nozzle. I will be using a 500cc/min nozzle.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 12:17 PM   #35
sykocis
Registered
Rep
Drives: E70 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd66312 View Post
Deftronix

Also using a single 640mil/min injector as I have a EGR race pipe that is already pre-threaded for fitment of a single injector. Any reason why people seem to use 2 small injectors instead of a single larger one?
Sorry to reawaken this thread. Just wondering if you ever go this setup? I just ordered the Torqbyte Controller, LCD, and I/O. After reading Hofser's posts,
I'm wondering if I bit off more than I can chew. I see Deftronix added a MAP sensor but, I have no idea where on the 35d with this system.
Appreciate 1
TTV8M118.00