XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-25-2015, 11:44 PM   #1
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Changing Kidneys

Odd title but I believe the front ovals are called kidneys - if not sorry. New to BMW as I am a recent MBZ convert.

Have the carbon fiber x5 and thinking of changing them out to the matte black instead of the nickel color. Seems to me the matte black on carbon black would look a bit better/meaner. have not seen a carbon option for them.

Is this hard to do?

thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 07:43 AM   #2
omgboost
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Yes, they are called kidney grilles. Open the hood, get a flathead screwdriver or use your fingers to push the approximately 5 clips on each kidney on the inside of the hood and pull them out from the outside of the hood. I think there are three clips on the bottom on one on each side. Try not to push too hard that you break the clips.

GL
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 10:13 AM   #3
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgboost View Post
Yes, they are called kidney grilles. Open the hood, get a flathead screwdriver or use your fingers to push the approximately 5 clips on each kidney on the inside of the hood and pull them out from the outside of the hood. I think there are three clips on the bottom on one on each side. Try not to push too hard that you break the clips.

GL
Thank you. I think I can handle that - just need to find the black replacements.
Appreciate 0