XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-14-2016, 05:25 AM   #1
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

X5 Headlight Restoration

I have been searching and reading tons of reviews on restoring headlights back to a showroom condition, there are many different brands of headlight restoration kits but I wanted to see if anyone here can recommend a top quality kit they've tried? My X5's headlights look to be deeply pitted with lots of swirl marks all over the lenses...I'll take some pics later to show you what I'm dealing with

Last edited by Cattivo; 07-14-2016 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 01:12 PM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo
I have been searching and reading tons of reviews on restoring headlights back to a showroom condition, there are many different brands of headlight restoration kits but I wanted to see if anyone here can recommend a top quality kit they've tried? My X5's headlights look to be deeply pitted with lots of swirl marks all over the lenses...I'll take some pics later to show you what I'm dealing with
I used the 3M kit and sanded the shit out of it so their are perfect again, no distortion but you have to keep moving the disk, then coat it with opti-coat for lenses and it will look like brand new and be protected from UV and won't turn yellow.

Or you can buy just new lenses off eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172195734773
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 02:31 PM   #3
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
I used the 3M kit and sanded the shit out of it so their are perfect again, no distortion but you have to keep moving the disk, then coat it with opti-coat for lenses and it will look like brand new and be protected.

Or you can buy just new lenses of eBay for 300 bucks
How long ago did you refinish your lenses? has it held up? There's no way I'm paying $300 for new lenses I'm just trying to find the best bang for my buck

Almost every headlight restoration kit I found is fairly inexpensive, I found lots of good reviews on the Sylvania headlight restoration kit

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/s...S0jRoCc13w_wcB

It's for my wifes X5, her commute consists of 90% highway driving to and from work so I'm sure being on the highway that much you're more prone to bugs, rocks etc. I may have the headlights wrapped after they're repaired
      07-14-2016, 02:43 PM   #4
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I used the 3M kit and sanded the shit out of it so their are perfect again, no distortion but you have to keep moving the disk, then coat it with opti-coat for lenses and it will look like brand new and be protected.

Or you can buy just new lenses of eBay for 300 bucks
How long ago did you refinish your lenses? has it held up? There's no way I'm paying $300 for new lenses I'm just trying to find the best bang for my buck

Almost every headlight restoration kit I found is fairly inexpensive, I found lots of good reviews on the Sylvania headlight restoration kit

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/s...S0jRoCc13w_wcB

It's for my wifes X5, her commute consists of 90% highway driving to and from work so I'm sure being on the highway that much you're more prone to bugs, rocks etc. I may have the headlights wrapped after they're repaired
All headlights have a coating from the manufacture as the plastic is not UV stable, headlights are a softer plastic than that of your tail lights so they are impact resistant against rocks and stuff but unfortunately they need to be coated, tail lights don't need to be impact resistant so they are of a different plastic and does not need coating as that plastic is UV stable.

Since you will me sanding off all the defects ( highly suggest removing the headlight by the way) you will be removing all of the UV protection off the headlight and the plastic will fade and discolor with time, they supply wax that you need to coat every few days depending on washes and such to keep the UV protection applied. Big pain in the ass.

I used opticoat for lenses which was 60 bucks and it's lasted for years, still clear as day. It adds that protective film on the PC that you sanded away.

Take your time as it will take time. The 3M kit was the best I've used.

The kit you are showing isn't worth a hill of beans as you will need power drill. Doing it by hand is pure nonsense and will take you days. And a new arm!

Just get the 3M kit it really works.

Their are two versions, one is 300 dollars for the kit the other is 15 to 20 dollars just get the cheaper one, it does 1 pair of headlights and works wonderfully, The sand paper does clog so you may need two.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2016, 04:05 PM   #5
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

Quote:
All headlights have a coating from the manufacture as the plastic is not UV stable, headlights are a softer plastic than that of your tail lights so they are impact resistant against rocks and stuff but unfortunately they need to be coated, tail lights don't need to be impact resistant so they are of a different plastic and does not need coating as that plastic is UV stable.

Since you will me sanding off all the defects ( highly suggest removing the headlight by the way) you will be removing all of the UV protection off the headlight and the plastic will fade and discolor with time, they supply wax that you need to coat every few days depending on washes and such to keep the UV protection applied. Big pain in the ass.

I used opticoat for lenses which was 60 bucks and it's lasted for years, still clear as day. It adds that protective film on the PC that you sanded away.

Take your time as it will take time. The 3M kit was the best I've used.

The kit you are showing isn't worth a hill of beans as you will need power drill. Doing it by hand is pure nonsense and will take you days. And a new arm!

Just get the 3M kit it really works.

Their are two versions, one is 300 dollars for the kit the other is 15 to 20 dollars just get the cheaper one, it does 1 pair of headlights and works wonderfully, The sand paper does clog so you may need two.
Thanks, I appreciate all your feedback since I have never attempted this before, I'll take a ride after work to get the 3M kit tomorrow and weather permitting I'll give it a try
      07-14-2016, 04:29 PM   #6
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I've used the 3M kit many times (never on my BMWs though) and it works REALLY well.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2016, 06:10 PM   #7
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I've used the 3M kit many times (never on my BMWs though) and it works REALLY well.
Did it require using a drill or did you do it by hand?
      07-14-2016, 06:40 PM   #8
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo View Post
Did it require using a drill or did you do it by hand?
It'll require a drill.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 04:55 AM   #9
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It'll require a drill.
I picked up the 3M restoration kit and some 3000 grit sand paper as well which wasn't included for an even smoother finish, now all I need is for the weather to get out of the 90's and the humidity to drop!
      07-15-2016, 07:58 AM   #10
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I picked up the 3M restoration kit and some 3000 grit sand paper as well which wasn't included for an even smoother finish, now all I need is for the weather to get out of the 90's and the humidity to drop!
Being in Texas, that would mean I'd have to do it in the middle of the night!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 08:32 AM   #11
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
I have had bad luck with those kits. I might not be doing it hard enough or my headlights might of been in bad shape. I had my detailer do it for me. He has done a bunch of them and I put on a coat of opti-coat on the headlights. If you are not comfortable doing it, I would find a detailer.

Appreciate 2
      07-15-2016, 12:38 PM   #12
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I forgot you live in Texas...I'll stop complaining about the heat now lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
I have had bad luck with those kits. I might not be doing it hard enough or my headlights might of been in bad shape. I had my detailer do it for me. He has done a bunch of them and I put on a coat of opti-coat on the headlights. If you are not comfortable doing it, I would find a detailer.

I feel comfortable doing it myself, I'm just worried about over sanding the plastic lenses
      07-15-2016, 01:36 PM   #13
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I forgot you live in Texas...I'll stop complaining about the heat now lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post

I feel comfortable doing it myself, I'm just worried about over sanding the plastic lenses
Don't worry to much, just sand till your imperfections are gone, just need to use what's in the kit and 0 sand marks will be present, you need to buff just as much as sanding so take your time, just with the kit and nothing else I was able to achieve 100 percent like new appearance. I will post pics later of my mini headlight.

No and I mean no swirls or scratches present.

Just takes time and a little courage.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 02:46 PM   #14
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

I've done this on several of my cars but instead of using a kit I have an assortment of wet sanding paper and various cuts of paint polish I use. The concept is the same but as others have stated, take your time. If you rush it, the results will look as such. When I get around to detailing the exterior of my I plan to tackle this and then add Expel protection film.

Some pics of my M5 headlights:

Appreciate 1
      07-15-2016, 04:27 PM   #15
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by socale39 View Post
I've done this on several of my cars but instead of using a kit I have an assortment of wet sanding paper and various cuts of paint polish I use. The concept is the same but as others have stated, take your time. If you rush it, the results will look as such. When I get around to detailing the exterior of my I plan to tackle this and then add Expel protection film.

Some pics of my M5 headlights:

What grid sand paper did you start and end with? WOW is there a lens on that last pic? that came out great
      07-15-2016, 05:29 PM   #16
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here is a quick shot of the Mini Cooper headlights, they have over 200k miles on them and are over 10 years old, and where very pitted and hazy and yellow before the restoration.

These where done over 3 years ago. Haven't touched them since.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-16-2016, 05:44 AM   #17
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here is a quick shot of the Mini Cooper headlights, they have over 200k miles on them and are over 10 years old, and where very pitted and hazy and yellow before the restoration.

Headlights came out great! one of my concerns was that once you start wet sanding the plastic lenses it would be an every year thing. After seeing these results I'm ready to give this a shot

I've been detailing my cars, my parents cars from a very young age so I feel this shouldn't be a very difficult DIY. I'll post up some before and after pics when I get a chance to do this...thanks guys
      07-16-2016, 08:22 AM   #18
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Headlights came out great! one of my concerns was that once you start wet sanding the plastic lenses it would be an every year thing. After seeing these results I'm ready to give this a shot

I've been detailing my cars, my parents cars from a very young age so I feel this shouldn't be a very difficult DIY. I'll post up some before and after pics when I get a chance to do this...thanks guys
Just remember to put the opticoat for headlight lenses on the PC or it will yellow fast when exposed to the sunlight. Also don't use any chemical that would strip wax off the car as it will attack the PC and you'll have to start over, I would recommend to put the opticoat on right after polishing. And not use the wax they give you.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 08:47 AM   #19
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Quote:
Just remember to put the opticoat for headlight lenses...
Could you point to the exact product you've used? I get a list with mixed reviews when Google.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #20
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles
Quote:
Just remember to put the opticoat for headlight lenses...
Could you point to the exact product you've used? I get a list with mixed reviews when Google.
https://www.amazon.com/OPT-OPT-OLC10.../dp/B00GULJCUM

Your always going to get high and low feedback with stuff that's not always easy to do, depends on operator and skill. Make sure you put enough of it on, if you put to thin a layer it will not work and your lights will yellow, put on the right amount and it's a long lasting barrier. Now how much you wash and clean will take a toll, since my mini is driven maybe a few times a year it will last many many years as it's been 3 already and they still are great, now if you are a perpetual washer it will remove coating in time, just like over washed cars, every time you take your car to a "grind a wash" it removes small amount of clear coat as the brushes polish your ride. So you should keep it and just apply it at your own discretion or when you feel you need to. But whatever the plan it's better than wax which you would have to really reapply after every wash.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 07:42 PM   #21
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

Quote:
What grid sand paper did you start and end with? WOW is there a lens on that last pic? that came out great
I started with 800 and ended with 3000. It's very time consuming but the results are worth it. Those headlights had 90k+ on them and they looked new when I put them back on. I also used a combination of Meguiars high cut compounds and clear plastic cleaner/polish.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2016, 09:04 PM   #22
DIY_Nation_TH
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X5 4.8I

Headlight Restoration E70

Here is my DIY that I did. It saves a lot of money.

DIY_Nation_TH
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-u...O40J6wl1hzOVdw

Last edited by DIY_Nation_TH; 10-30-2016 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: Better Viewing
Appreciate 0