XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-09-2017, 06:57 PM   #1
Revnato
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12' X5M

Oil in coolant

Hey guys, well after having some coolant lines replaced (the ones feeding the turbos) after installing my new pure turbos, I've discovered some oil in the coolant reservoir

I had the coolant lines replaced because I could smell burning coolant coming from the engine and low coolant issues. Very distinct smell. After they were replaced it fixed both the smell issue and the low coolant level issue.

However, when I opened the coolant reservoir this morning I noticed a drop of oil floating on the surface and very slight glimmer of oil on the surface as well. Its not even close to the thick gooey consistency you find with a blown head oil leakage, but still has me worried

Decided to take it to BMW next week to have them diagnose it. Any other ideas on what could be wrong? My mechanic who installed my Pure turbos thinks it might be something to do with the water pump or seal. He recommends doing a coolant flush and replacing the water pump/lines.

Also worth noting, the car isn't overheating at all. Thats another reason why he doesn't think its something with the head because he said I'd be overheating all the time and the coolant would look super gooey.

Anyways... any input is appreciated. Keeping my fingers crossed at this point
Pure Stage 2 Turbos / JB4 / BPM tuned / Catless DPs / PTP Turbo Blanket / RK Intkakes / Eisnemann Sport / M Performance lip / IND Blackout / KWV3 Coilovers / MV Forged ML10 / Pirelli Pzeros / LED Headlights
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 08:15 AM   #2
1Bad540
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Many Bmws

had this on my e60 535i and it turned out to be the oil cooler gasket. cheap easy fix and never came back.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 10:03 AM   #3
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 09:12 PM   #4
Revnato
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12' X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bad540 View Post
had this on my e60 535i and it turned out to be the oil cooler gasket. cheap easy fix and never came back.
Thanks for the input I'm gonna pass this info on to my mechanic. Really hoping its an easy fix like this
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Fingers crossed!
Thanks James appreciate it brotha
Pure Stage 2 Turbos / JB4 / BPM tuned / Catless DPs / PTP Turbo Blanket / RK Intkakes / Eisnemann Sport / M Performance lip / IND Blackout / KWV3 Coilovers / MV Forged ML10 / Pirelli Pzeros / LED Headlights
Appreciate 0