XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
richmondbimmer
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 M3

Configuring the X5

Hi there. I am working on my 2013 X5 35i configuration and need some opinions.

-Any opinions on the cold weather package? 80% of the time there will only be 2 passengers and a child in a booster so I'm not sure if we will use rear heated seats much. We don't carry ski equipment. Is the heated steering wheel that great as well as the headlight washers?

-Any input on soft close automatic doors?

-Is the premium sound system worth the cost?

Thanks
      12-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
SkipSauls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35d

Garage List
I have a 3 year old in a car seat who is the rear-seat occupant 95% of the time, so I don't miss the rear seat heaters much. The heated steering wheel, however, is awesome, and it means not having go wear gloves on cold mornings to drive. The headlight washers are nice when there is lots of crud on the road, for example road salts, but I wouldn't consider them essential in the part of Colorado that I'm in.

I don't have the soft close doors, and I don't think they were available on my '11, but they seem like a nice option. I'd spend my money on other options, but to each his own.

I think the premium sound is worth it, even if the "true audiophiles" don't think that much of it. The regular sound system is okay for talk radio, but I find the music to be a lot less dynamic than on the premium system.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
Devimik
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 35i Sports Activity

I am not a "true" audiophile, but do love music. I think the premium sound system is worth it along with the cold weather package and soft close doors.

The heated steering wheel is awesome as are heated seats. The nice thing about the soft close doors is you never have that issue of driving down the road realizing one of the rear doors isn't fully shut. Great for kids too since they don't have to slam the doors. We also got the ventilated seats and that is very nice in the summer. Got the technology package too and the heads-up display is cool, but not necessary. Here's a pic of mine- we love it:

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
sunnygps
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d

I would ship the cold pkg and look into active drive, specially if you will have a child in the rear seats. I got this option in my 2012 and love it as it makes the ride and cornering much more comfortable.

Also, look into multi-contour seats. I have the technology package and I think it is not worth the money. HUD by itself maybe.

One option I did not get and should have us the active steering. Would have been a nice addition to the active drive.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
Devimik
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygps View Post
I would ship the cold pkg and look into active drive, specially if you will have a child in the rear seats. I got this option in my 2012 and love it as it makes the ride and cornering much more comfortable.

Also, look into multi-contour seats. I have the technology package and I think it is not worth the money. HUD by itself maybe.

One option I did not get and should have us the active steering. Would have been a nice addition to the active drive.

Hope this helps.
I think you mean adaptive drive? I've never gone for that because, to me, the X5 already handles and corners excellently without the Adaptive Drive or Active Steering. I'd rather use that $5050.00 on other things in the car, but that is only my opinion. Perhaps I should try one with these two options to see the difference. Hard to imagine the handling being much better than it is without these options though.

I think the side view cameras are potentially useful if crossing busy streets to turn left when obstructions block your view - also coming out of parking garages too. I agree on the multi-contoured seats.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

The cold weather package is totally worth it. It's nice to have warm seats and steering wheel even on a nice spring morning.

No need for soft closed doors, just one more thing to break. Although, BMW's soft-closed doors are bullet proof.

Hi-fi sound is worth every penny. One more thing, make sure you get the sport transmission package, it's worth $500.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
richmondbimmer
Rep

Thanks for the input everyone! One more thing...the convenience package for some reason includes chrome trim.. not crazy about chrome around windows but do like the sheen in the grill that they include in the package. Is there a way to get the convenience pkg and delete the chrome trim from around the windows?
      12-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
Devimik
Private
United_States
Rep

I'm not sure if you can get it without the chrome line trim on the Premium, but I do know that on the Sport Activity model, the convenience package doesn't have the chrome line trim and it also has the anthracite headliner, which looks better than the lighter colors, I think.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #9
5seriesHB
In The Game!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 535 Msprt/12 X5 5.0 Msprt

soft close r a must
have them for 1 week now and my kids have not waken up once in the car. everytime before it was a nightmare getting in and out w the stupid gong going off that the door was ejar! duh i know it is cause i didn't close it.
geez BMW
lol
u get the picture
just get them
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #10
richmondbimmer
Rep

Configuration almost complete:

X5 35i premium
Sapphire black metallic with cinnamon leather vs Deep sea blue with oyster
Convenience (includes soft close)
Technology
Cold weather
Premium sound
Running boards
Multi contour seats
BMW apps

Just torn on the color combo.
      12-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #11
5seriesHB
In The Game!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondbimmer View Post
Configuration almost complete:

X5 35i premium
Sapphire black metallic with cinnamon leather vs Deep sea blue with oyster
Convenience (includes soft close)
Technology
Cold weather
Premium sound
Running boards
Multi contour seats
BMW apps

Just torn on the color combo.
Deep blue is amazing color
I would have gotten that if I could have found one already built
Rare color
Personally I didn't need the tech package
Have it on my 535 ad other than the HUD and front view cameras "which I think r useless"
I do have the top view and rear cameras
Obviously a must
Good luck
Rob
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #12
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

I opted not to get the cold weather package, personally I can't stand the headlight washers, they spray all over the front end of your car and use up all the washer fluid.

I'd strongly recommend getting adaptive drive though, makes a huge difference when driving the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #13
TYMAH123
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 SAV

One thing nobody has mentioned yet is the space saving spare. Totally worth 150 even if you will never change out of run flats. I regret not getting it...
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #14
CMH75
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondbimmer
Hi there. I am working on my 2013 X5 35i configuration and need some opinions.

-Any opinions on the cold weather package? 80% of the time there will only be 2 passengers and a child in a booster so I'm not sure if we will use rear heated seats much. We don't carry ski equipment. Is the heated steering wheel that great as well as the headlight washers?

-Any input on soft close automatic doors?

-Is the premium sound system worth the cost?

Thanks
Premium sound is a must ... I miss not having it EVERY TIME I'm in my X5 (and I'm angry with BMW for making such a poor base system on a $60K+ vehicle).

As for the heated steering wheel, it is nice, but not something I would miss too much (especially if you park in a garage or usually wear gloves in the winter). I find I use it only for 5-10 minutes because there's only 1 temp setting.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 01:07 AM   #15
5seriesHB
In The Game!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
I opted not to get the cold weather package, personally I can't stand the headlight washers, they spray all over the front end of your car and use up all the washer fluid.

I'd strongly recommend getting adaptive drive though, makes a huge difference when driving the car.
i so agree!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #16
village8
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 x5m

I'm going to say go with the premium sound. Shopping around for my X5 I tested out the non-premium and it was a decent setup, but it lacked in fullness. In extreme cases (an audiophile test CD) the non-premium had holes in the sound it could produce.

If you're always having the 3 of you in it regular should be okay with the regular as you won't be turning it up at all. If you go on long solo drives get the premium. If you enjoy music but don't have a listening environment at home get the premium.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 09:06 AM   #17
wsybert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Vert

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post

-I drove my mom's X5 without Adaptive drive, then mine with right after. Night and day. However, if you never experienced it, you don't know what you are missing. It really is a major difference in handling.
-Heated steering wheel is overrated. I do use the heated seats.
-Hate the headlight washers.
-Wish mine had power liftgate. Never thought I would like that, but always find myself walking to car with an armful of something.
-Running boards look good, but, the car isn't tall enought to need them. You'll be stepping over them and getting pants dirty.
-Blue and oyster would look awesome. I'm partial to black though.
My 0.02. Good luck.

Bill
1999 528iT 5sp manual (new addition)
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #18
younghno50
AlpineWhiteE70SAV
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35i SAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondbimmer View Post
Thanks for the input everyone! One more thing...the convenience package for some reason includes chrome trim.. not crazy about chrome around windows but do like the sheen in the grill that they include in the package. Is there a way to get the convenience pkg and delete the chrome trim from around the windows?

You gotta step up to the Sports Activity model to get the gloss black window trim and the black headliner

HUD is an absolute MUST. if you're using the nav system the HUD tells you when to turn without looking down and over. Speed display on the windshield is an awesome option, IMO. my steering wheel is adjusted low so i cannot see how fast i'm driving b/w 50-80.

Soft close doors i have heard mixed reviews on before i ordered mines. i hear is loud and really not a big deal that's worth the money.

if you're in a region where its gets cold in the winter, cold weather package is a must with that heated steering wheel. it's just awesome innovation.

i ordered just the HUD and not the technology package because i could care less about more cameras and more electrical things that will go wrong in the long term.
2013 E70 35i Sports Activity. Alpine White, Sand Beige leather, Dark bamboo wood trim, Convenience, CWP, Running Boards, HUD, 20" wheels, PCD 101 experience 3/15/13 Greer, SC. Gone but never forgotten: 2004 E46 ///M3 Cabriolet.
Appreciate 0