XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

10-16-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

Can the rear view camera be used for forward driving too?

I know it's very useful for backing up. But can it be used as a double for the rear view mirror (the central one)?

I mean, since the rear view camera is already paid for, and is needed for less than ten% of the time spent in the car, can it be used all the time?! The rear window is what it is, but additional gadgets can be used to compensate that.

I know there are already concepts, and maybe some cars, with video mirrors, but is the BMW camera tweakable for permanent use?

Just asking. .don't shoot me Deda.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

I think it is possible.

Currently the cam is tied to PDC and a speed limit.

If they separated the cam from speed limiting and PDC, it could stay on all the time.
      10-17-2008, 03:03 AM   #3
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by akraptor View Post
I know it's very useful for backing up. But can it be used as a double for the rear view mirror (the central one)?

I mean, since the rear view camera is already paid for, and is needed for less than ten% of the time spent in the car, can it be used all the time?! The rear window is what it is, but additional gadgets can be used to compensate that.

I know there are already concepts, and maybe some cars, with video mirrors, but is the BMW camera tweakable for permanent use?

Just asking. .don't shoot me Deda.
ha ha..you made me laught with your last sentence!

I dont know if it is possibile,maybe the only reason is security..same as tv function.it is only allowed when you park your car.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 04:11 AM   #4
branko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d, X6 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
I think it is possible.

Currently the cam is tied to PDC and a speed limit.

If they separated the cam from speed limiting and PDC, it could stay on all the time.
No problems, Akraptor, you can drive continuously with the camera on, just stay below 20 km/h (around 15 mph).

In Romania an X6 is definitely going to attract a lot of people's attention, so just show off your new car
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

My motorhome has a rear-view camera that I leave on all the time and use as a supplementary mirror. For some bizarre reason that I can't fathom, in many states and Canadian provinces this is illegal!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 11:45 PM   #6
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

chuck, work on it. It may work. Then, as Palbay also wishes maybe we can add an infrared camera on the front, and get the Night Vision that BMW only wants for. .hmmz. .Series 7?!?

Why the hell BMW doesn't put as standard on X6 the Night Vision with an object detection sensor (based on a laser beam, I guess) and the electronic automated braking system (from the cruise control with brake assist) , when a collision is imminent!!! Is this technology so expensive?!? Kids nowadays have access to all these computer games packed with space age gizmos, but in real life we still have to rely only on our senses, when driving at night.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2008, 02:35 AM   #7
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

Quote:
chuck, work on it. It may work. Then, as Palbay also wishes maybe we can add an infrared camera on the front, and get the Night Vision that BMW only wants for. .hmmz. .Series 7?!?

Why the hell BMW doesn't put as standard on X6 the Night Vision with an object detection sensor (based on a laser beam, I guess) and the electronic automated braking system (from the cruise control with brake assist) , when a collision is imminent!!! Is this technology so expensive?!? Kids nowadays have access to all these computer games packed with space age gizmos, but in real life we still have to rely only on our senses, when driving at night.
Very true!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2008, 09:23 AM   #8
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:

The X6's run about $65-$75k. With the other options folks want like night visions, lane departure, etc. the truck would be $75k-$85k. I think BMW realizes most won't go that high for these other options but would for an M, diesel or Hybrid version. My guess is that is where they are focusing their efforts.

Even the 6 series was left in the cold with a lot of options despite its high price tag.
      10-18-2008, 10:51 AM   #9
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

well,that make sense,but i will be much satisfyed if they were left me choice to choose should or should not i go for mentioned options...but now it is irelevant,because my car goes in producion in week 44!
Appreciate 0