E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > White oil residue in coolant expansion tank

04-18-2024, 08:41 AM   #1
Eddie_EM
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

White oil residue in coolant expansion tank

Hello guys, I was checking for coolant level on my N46 and I was surprised to find traces of oil in coolant. I know that is as a result of oil mixing with coolant either in the Engine or the two oil coolers. I wanted to know if there's a way to check any of the two coolers if they are bad before I replace the bad one
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 12:03 PM   #2
BalanBro
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335I

I'm not familiar with that engine, but I know on the straight 6 engines, the most common cause is the oil filter housing gasket. Both coolant and oil pass through that gasket, so when it fails, mixing will occur.
Appreciate 1
Sgop335648.00
      04-18-2024, 03:22 PM   #3
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalanBro View Post
I'm not familiar with that engine, but I know on the straight 6 engines, the most common cause is the oil filter housing gasket. Both coolant and oil pass through that gasket, so when it fails, mixing will occur.
This here is the most likely cause.

This isn't an occasional might happen to you thing. This spot WILL fail and will happen to everyone. If it hasn't been addressed already.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2024, 06:42 AM   #4
Eddie_EM
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride View Post
This here is the most likely cause.

This isn't an occasional might happen to you thing. This spot WILL fail and will happen to everyone. If it hasn't been addressed already.
I found some coolant droplets 💦 from eng.oil return line from cooler. The engine oil cooler gasket is intact. An suspecting my oil cooler is damaged. Now I know where to start from. Am happy it's not the trans oil cooler that is damaged. Am I correct to rule that my engine oil cooler is faulty since the 2 coolers only have one thing in common and that is the coolant. It's present in engine oil.
Appreciate 0