XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

08-31-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Exclamation Low Battery recurrent warning sign

Just wanted to know if anyone has had this issue before.
My car has visited the dealer a couple of times due to a warning sign of low battery, the car starts perfect but the warning keeps going on. They even change under warranty the turbo fans assuming the problem was there, but not.
If I stop the engine but leave the radio on, in less than 2 minutes, the car will pop up the warning sign and will cut all electric system, even the steering wheel retracts like when you close your car.
Here's a picture of the waring shown in my iDrive screen
Any help will be appreciated !
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
LANDLORD
Turbo Engines are Fun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6M Monte Carlo Blue

I think I would want a new battery.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LANDLORD View Post
I think I would want a new battery.
They say that was the first thing they checked, and the battery was OK......then I got a software upgrade twice and no change, I will push for a new battery....
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
Mean_M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
They say that was the first thing they checked, and the battery was OK......then I got a software upgrade twice and no change, I will push for a new battery....
doesnt matter what they say, its either the battery or the sensors.....
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
x5lover7777
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 x5m

it happened to me long time ago, dealer told me i had too many short trip. but they replace new battery
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #6
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5lover7777 View Post
it happened to me long time ago, dealer told me i had too many short trip. but they replace new battery
Maybe I have the same issue, I drive 12 minutes to work, then 4 hours parked, another 12 minutes to have lunch 2 hours parked, another 12 minutes to work, and another 5 hours parked, and finally the last 12 minutes, thats my routine Mon-Fri , on weekends not much difference, and if it rains, I use my wifes Q7

Monday will be at the dealer for a test with a new battery, hope that will be the end of the story
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 12:08 AM   #7
zaha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X6M

Had the same issue.
BMW told me it's because of how little I drive the car. Some weeks I will drive 100km max. They said they would not replace the battery. I brought it in and they did a full charge and I bought a trickle charger which I used once or twice.

I do not believe it is the driving habit causing the error; especially in my car. I only had these messages pop up only in the winter. It gets pretty cold up here in Canada and from what I have heard from others, the battery does not fully charge when the temperature is -15C and below. Ever since the snow melted I have not seen this error and I have been driving just as little on a regular basis.

Hope you find a solution. Seeing that you are from Costa Rica, I doubt it is the freezing cold causing your problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 11:05 PM   #8
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaha View Post
Had the same issue.
BMW told me it's because of how little I drive the car. Some weeks I will drive 100km max. They said they would not replace the battery. I brought it in and they did a full charge and I bought a trickle charger which I used once or twice.

I do not believe it is the driving habit causing the error; especially in my car. I only had these messages pop up only in the winter. It gets pretty cold up here in Canada and from what I have heard from others, the battery does not fully charge when the temperature is -15C and below. Ever since the snow melted I have not seen this error and I have been driving just as little on a regular basis.

Hope you find a solution. Seeing that you are from Costa Rica, I doubt it is the freezing cold causing your problem.
Thanks, be sure low temp is not an issue down here......
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 03:12 AM   #9
Scouse
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6 35d X-drive

I had the same problem about 3 months ago, BMW came and collected the car and took it for me to do some checks on it

At the end of the day they couldnt find a fault and so they replaced the battery for me, I havent had a days problem since, so i would definitely say its the battery, and im also in a warm climate as im in South Africa
      09-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #10
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Got a new battery under warranty, so far, no warnings......
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #11
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey X5M

I had the same issue, and it turned out to be the IBS (?) battery cable. No issues since.
      04-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #12
MaX6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydetectors09 View Post
Among all the detecting activities, gold detecting is the most interesting one. It can not only relax both our mind and body, but also give us a big fortune if we are lucky enough. Next time when you feel bored, you can pick up a metal detector for gold and have a try.
I had a gold dector a few years ago.. Although it did work very well I decided to divorce her anyway...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #13
pha_roah
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6 35i

I had the same issue, took it to the dealer, they said I wasn't driving the car enough and as a result, the batter doesn't charge more than 30%, and refused to change the battery even though the car is under warranty.

Advice to anyone who gets this issue and doesn't drive the car every day: Before taking the car to the dealer to complain, make sure you drive the car a lot for about 30 days because they will print a log of the length of the trips you did in the prior 30 days, and if they think it's not a lot, will tell you that it's not covered under warranty because of your "driving profile"... go figure.
Appreciate 0