XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

05-29-2018, 10:10 AM   #1
rambino
M Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 / X6M

ESS Tune Review for E71 X6M / E70 X5M

So I just bought a E71 X6M that came with an uknown tune. Its power was random and often unresponsive and seemed over boosted. I have downpipes and mufflers and intake filters so I decided to reflash it to stock and then put on a new tune by ESS Engineering.

Their software engineer tuned my F13 M6 and did an incredible job, so I was looking forward to trying it on the X6M.

Heres my impressions..

- They conservatively tune within the limits of the transmission and engine and I believe take more precautions than anyone else working with the engines safety system settings.

- Personality: There is a certain finesse and natural Oem style of delivery in its performance.. the tunes feel as if they came that way from the factory..incredibly powerful yet manageable and predictable.

- The style of the tune is consistent between cars and its a very big and familiar welcome home.

- Power is monstrous and I started using the paddles again its so much more fun now.. the turbos wake up enough that you can play with the torque..

- ESS has some magical smoothing to the engine and exhaust. The power is strong yet not stressful and the exhaust has a nice pur now instead of random burble. It screams on throttle and snarls with pops and aggression when you let off the gas. The turbos spool much sooner to pedal input and there is more modulation to the power.

Im really happy overall with this tune.. Ill see if I can get some dyno runs in the future.. driving wise its a wicked and scary fast machine that def took care of what I was looking for in a tune.

Cheers

Last edited by rambino; 05-29-2018 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 10:42 PM   #2
CompFtenn
Rep
Drives: M3

I appreciate the review. There just doesn’t seem to be much info. or options out there for the E71 M. Keep us posted with Dyno results when you get a chance. Take care
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2018, 11:53 AM   #3
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Reads like an advertisement.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 06:25 PM   #4
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
Reads like an advertisement.
Bullet points gave it away? Or nifty journalistic skillz? There should be a fine print disclaimer regarding not being a paid advertisement...
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 07:20 AM   #5
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
Bullet points gave it away? Or nifty journalistic skillz? There should be a fine print disclaimer regarding not being a paid advertisement...
Like I said, reads like an advertisement. I see you're sold though... so job well done. Carry on then.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 10:21 AM   #6
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Yes, I'm all in
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 07:13 PM   #7
rambino
M Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 / X6M

If you look at my post history, I have no affiliations or reasons to advertise for anyone. I just am a big fan of ESS and the consistency of my experience between cars so I wanted to share in detail all the reasons why.. im sure there are many other good tunes out there as well, but there is not a lot of info, so I tried to be as detailed as possible on this one.

Eitherway, if your looking for a tune, I hope my review helps in your decision..