XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-14-2018, 12:11 AM   #89
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

Another catch can option is IAG... I ran theirs on my STi... They aren’t the cheapest, but they work very very well.
https://www.iagperformance.com/IAG-C...g-eng-7251.htm
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 07:20 AM   #90
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

Update:
I installed and air compressor 3/8 air line filter from HD.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-...-205331927-_-N
I came across some people removing the 5 micron filter for an oil catch can setup, but I kept mine in. I epoxy the drain on the bottom to ensure oil doesn't leak out. After running this setup for a few weeks, I noticed it captured oil in the reservoir. However oil was was still pooling in the upper check valve area.

My plan is to get another separator from HD and just double up on the filtration. I'm throwing in the towel on this project.
Appreciate 1
TTV8M121.00
      06-14-2018, 11:06 PM   #91
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

In for pics :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 07:53 AM   #92
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

the air compressor filter was ok...I still had oil pooling in the upper check-valve. Since the Z3M is under repairs, I decided to try the catch can for that setup.

It is an oem cyclone separator for an e39 M5 (S62). For the Z3M, it will be pulling vacuum from the exhaust. The oil that gets separated from the cyclone will be drained to a port going to the oil pan.

Since the X5M doesn't have a dipstick port going to the oil pain, I modified an oil analysis container to collect the oil.
(sorry the first two pics should be rotated)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 03:22 PM   #93
pdxpeter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M50, 1991 E30 vert

Bumping this back up. I was replacing my vent tubes and the center cross over tube check valve broke. I used a .5" ID vacuum tube to connect the sides but am now getting a 002d2e along with rough idle. A couple pages back it was mentioned to use an aftermarket check valve; anything special I should look for or will any old PCV valve work?

NM, any old PCV valve will work as long as its hooked up correctly.

Last edited by pdxpeter; 11-14-2018 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 08:24 PM   #94
stable_46
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

Been searching over a week for the details on my S63 PCV system. This is exactly what I needed. Thanks Travis
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 09:55 AM   #95
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I pulled the catch-can reservoir and here's the oil gathered after 6k miles. The reservoir is the canister given from blackstone labs for oil analysis.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 11:34 AM   #96
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

Bumping up for updates... sophisticated redneck, do you have anything to weigh in on as far as replacing the check valve tree?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 06:07 AM   #97
stable_46
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

X5M catch can continued

Hopefully not too late to revive this thread.

I finally got around to installing the passenger side system and like so many others have seen very little collection. With the system open and engine running I noticed little or no vacuum generated by the port leading to the intake snout. Question that I did not see answered in this thread is why BMW set up the DS so different than the PS? There is significant vacuum/flow on the DS with the dual porting to the intake manifolds and almost zero on the PS. Anyone know why they did this?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 03:11 PM   #98
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
Bumping up for updates... sophisticated redneck, do you have anything to weigh in on as far as replacing the check valve tree?
Sorry been so busy with life and work I missed this post. Yes you can replace the entire check valve and change the spring tension to the proper -8 to-10 psi it should have. The valve is adjustable. I'll post some pics later today
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 03:15 PM   #99
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stable_46 View Post
Hopefully not too late to revive this thread.

I finally got around to installing the passenger side system and like so many others have seen very little collection. With the system open and engine running I noticed little or no vacuum generated by the port leading to the intake snout. Question that I did not see answered in this thread is why BMW set up the DS so different than the PS? There is significant vacuum/flow on the DS with the dual porting to the intake manifolds and almost zero on the PS. Anyone know why they did this?
I don't know why BMW designed thier check valve to only have -.6 psi stock. I've got 30 thousand miles running between -5 and -10psi. Mine was undrivable at the stock CCV pressure and smoked so bad, burned a quart every 300 miles. I'm now at 138,000 miles and while increasing the CC vacuum doesn't put it back to as good as it would be with valve seals, I am within spec of burning a quart every 1300-1500 miles and only time I see smoke is a breif puff when stuck at a standstill for minutes. I consider that pretty normal for a performance engine with 140k and I drive this piss out of mine,put almost 40k on in one year. But as brilliant as BMW engineers are, they are not perfect and lack some common sense... Like making a reverse flow engine with ZERO airflow in the engine compartment and covering it with an engine cover to bake and ruin all your plastic bits and coke up your turbo oil return lines....or maybe they did that on purpose..#replacementpart$$$$$

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 02-21-2019 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 12:37 PM   #100
Dave00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5M

M5James did you ever change your setup or find a can with 2 inlets/ 1 outlet for the connection? Just curious on recc's for a setup as I have a 13' with very low miles and I'm thinking about doing this now to help keep that oil off the valves. My wife has a DI motor in her Chevy Traverse and I just walnut blasted her valves after 100K on the clock and I was amazed at how bad they were. Don't want to have to go down that road in the X5M in a few years. Any suggestions from any of you guys would be greatly appreciated as I also want to mount the can or cans where I can maintain the stock engine cover as I like the look.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 02:59 PM   #101
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post
I pulled the catch-can reservoir and here's the oil gathered after 6k miles. The reservoir is the canister given from blackstone labs for oil analysis.
Doesn't seem like much....barely 50ml?

Did your setup catch everything or did you still see some passing thru the flap/valve?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 10:43 AM   #102
hyeprofile
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 M (E70)

BTW aligoodn did a mid-life overhall of his S63 on his X5M, and he blocked off both intake manifold CCV pipes. See his thread for pics and discussion

Pic from one of his blocked off intake manifold CCV connectors:

Pic of it installed on his X5M:

Sophisticated Redneck is actually suggesting that these remain connected to avoid rough idling issues, but he's recommeding that "if you want to go all out, add adjustable vacuum valves and tune it to -8psi at Idle, it makes a big difference in off-idle throttle response and torque and will act as a two way valve to block pressure during boost."
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 12:07 PM   #103
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyeprofile View Post
Thanks. I was hoping that with the engine in the car the intake manifolds could be popped off enough to sneak a walnut blaster and shop vac in there. Guess not.

BTW how are those blocked off intake CCV ports working out? Any issues with rough idling? I'm thinking that Sophisticated Redneck 's suggestion to add a pressure-adjustable check valve (set at ~-8psi) from both intake CCV ports and running it into the catch can might not be a bad idea. Worse case I could always adjust that check valve to almost entirely closed, and just back it off if I get rough idling issues.
Blocking them should'nt cause rough idle on the M as it doesn't use MAF sensors, the n63 that remains to be seen if it will as this is something that might have been allocated for on the airflow maps.

The key here is to try to get some negative back pressure into the crankcase. We can't go much over -8psi as air will start being pulled through the front main seal (sounds just like a slipping belt) which is a shame as there hidden horse power gains there. Not to mention less oil running down your valve stems means less carbon buildup and less oil dilution from crank case gases over time. Even at -5 to -8psi the effect on oil burning with engines that have worn valve stem seals is dramatic.

Trade off is you must have a proper catch can to filter the oil out of the air, oil has a dramatic effect on lowering octane, not so much a concern on stock engines, but slap on a tune that pushes the boost and it can become a real issue. Catch cans with built in sintered bronze micro-filters work the best.

Now that I am running a tune and soon a jb4 also, I want to take the CCV system to the next level. I will be installing Bernoulli tubes in the exhaust and completely blocking off the lower and upper intake ports to the CCV system.

I have no idea if this will work, there is very limited info on Bernoulli tubes on turbo charged cars with mufflers a s how much vacuum they can pull. Also how this will effect the air/file maps since I have the n63 as I mentioned before. There is only one way to find out...

If It pulls vacuum even with the exhaust flaps closed and doesn't make the exhaust smell any more unbearable with the downpipes then it already is, then this would be an excellent choice as it would greatly simplify the CCV system, especially on the M

Basically you will have the valve cover line run to a CCV can (don't want that oil in your exhaust pipes) then to the Bernoulli tubes (also called header evac systems) which incorporate a one way check valve) and that's it. Everything else is blocked off, no more combust gases or oil mist in the intake stream.

I have the kit and lines already to make the conversion, going to weld the tubes to exhaust clamps, this way you need to only crawl under truck and drill a hole in each pipe and install the tubes, no welding underneath. I have a vacuum gauge mounted inside the cab to monitor crank case vacuum. If it works I'll weld up some more sets for those interested. Installing this weekend and will post results. I'll do some draggy runs too see if any performance benefit not having combustion gasses in the intake and having vacuum in the crankcase....again assuming it works at all.

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 09-05-2020 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 11:59 AM   #104
clueless69
Rep
Drives: BMW E28 528i BMW X5M

hi all. new member of bmw 2012 x5m have more then year made only 4000 miles do only on sundays now started driving daily weather get colder engine light come up.under the hood noticed sucking air one of the ccv driver side hoses made temporary fix the passenger side show more fresh oil signs and sucking noise.how bad is for the engine drive like this.i dont like use a car with temporary fixes .car have over 90k miles.after temporary fix light disappear but on the normal engine temperature sometimes its like misfire at light stop.sry english is not my native language.thanks all for input.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 12:36 PM   #105
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clueless69 View Post
hi all. new member of bmw 2012 x5m have more then year made only 4000 miles do only on sundays now started driving daily weather get colder engine light come up.under the hood noticed sucking air one of the ccv driver side hoses made temporary fix the passenger side show more fresh oil signs and sucking noise.how bad is for the engine drive like this.i dont like use a car with temporary fixes .car have over 90k miles.after temporary fix light disappear but on the normal engine temperature sometimes its like misfire at light stop.sry english is not my native language.thanks all for input.

Get it fixed asap. It's not good for that to be open like that, even a little bit.

Will cause contamination.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 01:45 PM   #106
clueless69
Rep
Drives: BMW E28 528i BMW X5M

im 6th owner so who knows how many owners before was driven like this ,but thanks for fast input!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 10:03 PM   #107
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clueless69 View Post
im 6th owner so who knows how many owners before was driven like this ,but thanks for fast input!
Forgot to mention, call BMW because there is a recall for these vent pipes.

https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1254928

You can likely get this fixed for free.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2022, 10:06 PM   #108
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep
Drives: G12 B7,F02 750li,E70 X5M,E46M3

Feedback on an old X5M catch can

doing a restoration on an older X5M, 2013, 80k miles, see if i can get her in excellent shape.

what if i went with this..
https://ngrperformance.com/shop/5394bk/

Put the two outlets of the can to the valve covers, and 2 outputs to the checkvalves, with a closed system. Wouldn't it balance the vacuum and collect all oil this way or do you think that this would cause rough idle?

I know there are check valves on the tree, do you think this would cause issues?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
TTV8M121.00
      10-21-2023, 10:42 PM   #109
TTV8M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 AMG GLE53, '10 X6M

Garage List
2023 AMG GLE53  [0.00]
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2008 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyStyle View Post
doing a restoration on an older X5M, 2013, 80k miles, see if i can get her in excellent shape.

what if i went with this..
https://ngrperformance.com/shop/5394bk/

Put the two outlets of the can to the valve covers, and 2 outputs to the checkvalves, with a closed system. Wouldn't it balance the vacuum and collect all oil this way or do you think that this would cause rough idle?

I know there are check valves on the tree, do you think this would cause issues?
How'd it go on the 2013 x5m? Did you try the 4 port cc?
      10-22-2023, 10:10 PM   #110
TTV8M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 AMG GLE53, '10 X6M

Garage List
2023 AMG GLE53  [0.00]
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2008 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Now that I am running a tune and soon a jb4 also, I want to take the CCV system to the next level. I will be installing Bernoulli tubes in the exhaust and completely blocking off the lower and upper intake ports to the CCV system.

I have no idea if this will work, there is very limited info on Bernoulli tubes on turbo charged cars with mufflers a s how much vacuum they can pull. Also how this will effect the air/file maps since I have the n63 as I mentioned before. There is only one way to find out...

If It pulls vacuum even with the exhaust flaps closed and doesn't make the exhaust smell any more unbearable with the downpipes then it already is, then this would be an excellent choice as it would greatly simplify the CCV system, especially on the M

Basically you will have the valve cover line run to a CCV can (don't want that oil in your exhaust pipes) then to the Bernoulli tubes (also called header evac systems) which incorporate a one way check valve) and that's it. Everything else is blocked off, no more combust gases or oil mist in the intake stream.

Follow up to this, i see the Moroso kit may be the saving grace to vent the PCV plumbing to the exhaust DP instead of to the intake manifold.

Moroso 25900 Crankcase Evacuation System

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000COS8KS
(just the nipples)

Heres evac system explained in plain english. (guy is funny, lol)

Ill be purchasing these and let you know my results in a few weeks/month as i gotta find a guy to weld the nipples to the DP.

i thought about getting these amazon O2 sensor adapters but not sure. im 50/50........

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J69G4YN