XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
petfred
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6M

Question New Owner - lowered and very stiff ride , normal?

Hi everyone,

First of all, very nice to join this forum and I found it very informative and everyones posts help me build out my X6M.

With that said, I have a 2011 X6M and had the H&R springs installed.. Lowered as low as it would go. I am running on OEM 20's with winter tires.

Driving on the highway is fine, but as soon as I get to any bumpy roads and especially in San Francisco with non smooth roads I find the ride to be very very harsh.

The front is fine but the rear is very stiff and makes a lot of noise and a little clunking going on back there. Is this normal for this type of SUV?

I have owned Porsche Cayennes GTS and Turbos in the past and slammed them and the ride was not as stiff as what I'm currently experience.

So my question is " is this normal? or could it be a bad install?

Thank you!
Fred

Past: (google them PETSHRK / PETFROG / PETVADR / PETMAKO / PETRYNO / PETZBRA /
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
danielsanftw
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 2011 Xdrive 35i

Did you drvie the car before you put the springs on? The BMWs, specially the X6 has "exceptional stiffness" on its suspension system. It seems normal to me. The 35i I have is also very bumpy. It feels like riding a road bike on the dirt road. I'am planning get ride of the run flat tires after the current sets are due.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by petfred View Post
Hi everyone,

First of all, very nice to join this forum and I found it very informative and everyones posts help me build out my X6M.

With that said, I have a 2011 X6M and had the H&R springs installed.. Lowered as low as it would go. I am running on OEM 20's with winter tires.

Driving on the highway is fine, but as soon as I get to any bumpy roads and especially in San Francisco with non smooth roads I find the ride to be very very harsh.

The front is fine but the rear is very stiff and makes a lot of noise and a little clunking going on back there. Is this normal for this type of SUV?

I have owned Porsche Cayennes GTS and Turbos in the past and slammed them and the ride was not as stiff as what I'm currently experience.

So my question is " is this normal? or could it be a bad install?

Thank you!
Fred
Fred

Clunking isn't normal. Even lowered. It could be something is moving around back there from an improperly installed spring set, or it could be that the springs are clunking against eachother under full load. Some people find it useful to use some PVC tubing to fit between the narrowest part of the spring coils to help alleviate some of that issue.

Clunking could also be indicative of a bushing failure. Whatever it is, something is moving around that shouldn't be.

The ride is going to be a little harsher if you just did springs and not shocks (Tough sledding with the X6M) because the OEM shocks are designed to handle the ride height and spring rates of the stock Springs. You may find it better upgrading to a Coilover setup which have shocks that are better suited to the lowered springs, and you won't find yourself bottoming out the suspension as much.

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
raypeter
Private
Rep
Drives: x6m

if you have the air suspension, which i think is standard in the M,(the rear has links not springs) they have set the back to low, i had the same problem, get them to lift the rear about 10mm(by adjusting the links) and the ride will go back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
petfred
Rep

thanks, guys very informative!! I will notify my shop and have them investigate..

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
titanle
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 Activehybrid

I had the rears adjusted 3 times while i was at the shop so it would sit just right. the ride is somewhat harsher but its not a major change. Mind you I only have 1/1.2 drop.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
petfred
Rep

Thanks everyone, based on this feedback and another thread I am replacing the H&R springs and going with the KW Coilover setup

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
SLee724
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E71

When installing the rears you MUST DISCONNECT THE BATTERY. After installing the rear reconnect the battery and the system will acknowledge the new ride height.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

H&R would be the first thing to go.
If you still have some issue, check your tires to see if it's RFT or not.
I used to have non-runflats then changed back to OEM run flats and noticed a lot different in the softness of the ride esp. on the bumps.

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
petfred
Rep

Thanks again guys! Installing on Monday and will let my shop know what you guys stated.

I think I have a good grasp on what to do after reading this thread below
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...=540140&page=2

Appreciate 0