XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
tsifox
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5

2009 X5 E70 Issue with PDC and Camera

On my 2009 X5 3.0 I get a rear camera malfunction error on the screen eventhough the camera is working fine.

Also,the whole PDC system has stopped showing the green/yellow/red areas and last time I was at the dealer he said one of the rear sensors was damaged.

They quoted me $500 at the time to replace the one sensor which I thought was ridiculous so I declined.

One of the rear sensors doesn't do the faint clicking sound so I assume that's the bad one.

My question now is,if I replace the sensor will the system reset itself automatically?
Second,if it's indeed the sensor,why would it tell me rear camera malfunction on the screen?Could this mean there may be something wrong with it too eventhough it shows me the rear view?

Update:
I purchased a sensor and installed it but still no clicking..I even installed one of the good sensors to make sure the one I purchased wasn't defective too but still nothing.
The wiring looks ok.I checked the module and it looks good too(reset the connections).
The last thing I tried was remove and reinstall the fuses for PDC..

Any ideas?

Last edited by tsifox; 02-21-2012 at 08:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
realast8
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster and 2012 750i

i have a 2008 4.8 and am having the same issue. i reset the error code and for about 10 seconds, all my sensors were working like normal. This was tested by walking around the vehicle and hearing the pdc beeps. After that it all stopped working except for the camera.
i cant assume that the sensors are malfunctioning but rather the main module as all eight sensors do not work.
I will get the part number and have it replaced shortly. i will update you on the results.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
BMW_Diesel_Owner
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d

One of the rear PDC sensors in my 2009 BMW X5 constantly whines while I am backing up, so I presume it needs to get replaced. The part is about $20 a piece, and I can order it in. However, I need help with how to replace it. Is this something that I can easily pull off by going under the bumper?

I would appreciate your help!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #4
ivanfuzz
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8

I have a 2008 with the exact same issue. Screen always states PDC Malfunction, the rear camera works, but none of the sensors are working.

I've tried listening for the clicks, as other posts have stated, but I have the 4.8 so when I turn the car on, all I hear is the exhaust note out back. How loud are these clicks and do you need to have the car running to test them?
Appreciate 0