XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-15-2015, 06:08 PM   #1
B///MWGuy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
Should I keep my e70 3.0 2009 X5 or sell?

Hi, I've been driving this baby for 5 year.

I still love the design and performance is okay for my general use.
Comfort is superb and I love the fact that my friends & family love driving with me.

However, this car is becoming old. I've driven just over 80k miles now and few maintenance such as: New Tires (all four), new brake pad, very very slight oil leak, etc are due within half a year (i believe).

I am looking at the new 2017 C class coupe, but I'm concerned with buying something completely new. So I want to wait a year or so after it's release.

However, by that time, I would probably be selling the car right after paying all the maintenance cost... I don't think that'd raise the resale value.

Another problem is that my car is at 80k miles. I drive a lot and if I decide to drive more for a year or more, I think I can reach 100k quickly. I think this could also severely bring down the value..

When it comes to buying/selling car, I can't think rationally as I don't have much experience.

Can anyone give me a suggestion?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 07:55 PM   #2
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

The maintenance you mentioned is what any car with that mileage will eventually experience and frankly not that expensive. Just from reading your post it sounds like you really like the vehicle and your only reason for selling would be to avoid costs down the road. That being said if costs are the issue, a new car wont be the solution all things considered. I think you could easily buy yourself 20-30k miles for $2-3k in maintenance costs based on what is mentioned above and replacing all the pads and rotors ($500). The rest for tires and anything that may come up. If you consider buying new, you'd have the cost of a monthly payment, down payment, ins costs, etc not to mention depreciation hit over a few years. Those costs would surely exceed those of the above mentioned maintenance costs. My vote is keep more money in your pocket, invest it, save it......and keep the X5. 100k on a BMW is nothing if maintained well and you could very well go past that with little troubles.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 10:12 PM   #3
B///MWGuy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by socale39 View Post
The maintenance you mentioned is what any car with that mileage will eventually experience and frankly not that expensive. Just from reading your post it sounds like you really like the vehicle and your only reason for selling would be to avoid costs down the road. That being said if costs are the issue, a new car wont be the solution all things considered. I think you could easily buy yourself 20-30k miles for $2-3k in maintenance costs based on what is mentioned above and replacing all the pads and rotors ($500). The rest for tires and anything that may come up. If you consider buying new, you'd have the cost of a monthly payment, down payment, ins costs, etc not to mention depreciation hit over a few years. Those costs would surely exceed those of the above mentioned maintenance costs. My vote is keep more money in your pocket, invest it, save it......and keep the X5. 100k on a BMW is nothing if maintained well and you could very well go past that with little troubles.
Thank you for the suggestion! But would going over 100k mile and losing resale value and costly maintenance such as transmission, four tires and other major maintenance be worth it..?

I dont have a family of my own yet, so I want to experience driving a coupe. Thats why I want to switch.. If I am eventually going to sell my car soon(in 1 or 2year?), would selling it early be a better choice?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 01:00 AM   #4
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

Well if you are looking to get into a coupe sooner than later, of course selling earlier will yield a better selling price. The things that will hurt your resale or ability to sell quickly will be the issues mentioned above, more so the leak as the cost is really unknown unless diagnosed. This might create hesitation with potential buyers. Long story short, if you don't have any real practical use for all the space the X5 offers and a coupe suits your needs, do it. But stay away from brand new purchases. Buy a low mileage CPO and save thousands.
Appreciate 0