XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-04-2017, 10:20 PM   #111
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdoprey View Post
BMW rep just told me the warranty company requested an estimate for a new motor. Estimate is within a couple of thousand of what i paid for the vehicle.

I wonder if they will total it?
Will be interesting if they total it. Trade in value? Private sale value? Dealer value? Fair market value? Anyone know how that works?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 10:32 PM   #112
Akkunasenbohrer
Rep
Drives: BMW E30/E39/E46/E70

Quote:
BMW rep just told me the warranty company requested an estimate for a new motor. Estimate is within a couple of thousand of what i paid for the vehicle.

I wonder if they will total it?
This was the same story with my X5.

The repair estimate was very near to the value of the car and the warranty company was on the way to deny the request.

At this point BMW granted me a discount on the new motor big enough to get the warranty company back on the road.

In case this will work out for you and they start on the replacement of your monitor ask them to implement the service advisory SI B11 06 14 --- just in case but a good BMW service does not need this reminder.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 02:15 PM   #113
Birdoprey
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 50i M Sport

Just got off the phone with BMW rep. Looks like they are replacing the motor with a brand new unit from BMW, complete with a 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty through BMW.
Appreciate 4
BOOF-M34451.50
Naz241627.50
      08-07-2017, 03:01 PM   #114
beachcomberx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X-5

Excellent outcome!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 03:47 PM   #115
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Just got off the phone with BMW rep. Looks like they are replacing the motor with a brand new unit from BMW, complete with a 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty through BMW.
CONGRATS ! told ya, hard to beat a free 2 year unlimited milage warranty backed by the OEM company !!! can't beat it!

Looks like they came through for you!!!!

Excellent my friend! Hope you get to enjoy the beast to its fullest now that you have a brand new motor!!!!

Hey now it's like you bought it factory fresh and get to to be the first to break it in.

Glad everything turned out for you in the end!
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2017, 04:55 PM   #116
Akkunasenbohrer
Rep

Quote:
Great..

May I suggest something:
There is an official BMW N63 customer care package: SI B11 06 14

According to this CCP these parts have to be replaced:
  • Hot-Film Air mass sensor
  • PIEZO high pressure fuel injectors
  • Engine vacuum Pump
  • Fuel system low pressor sensor/feed lne
  • Fresh air intake turbo seals
  • crankcase ventilation lines (Hoses)

Perhaps you ask your BMW service that they won't re-use these parts from your old motor to be sure that all "suspect" old parts will be replaced with new releases.

According to the CCP the oil change intervall has to be reduced. This is important.

I'll send you the CCP for your information..

good Luck

Last edited by Akkunasenbohrer; 08-07-2017 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: Typos
Appreciate 2
BOOF-M34451.50
      08-07-2017, 08:24 PM   #117
Birdoprey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkunasenbohrer View Post
Great..

May I suggest something:
There is an official BMW N63 customer care package: SI B11 06 14

According to this CCP these parts have to be replaced:
  • Hot-Film Air mass sensor
  • PIEZO high pressure fuel injectors
  • Engine vacuum Pump
  • Fuel system low pressor sensor/feed lne
  • Fresh air intake turbo seals
  • crankcase ventilation lines (Hoses)

Perhaps you ask your BMW service that they won't re-use these parts from your old motor to be sure that all "suspect" old parts will be replaced with new releases.

According to the CCP the oil change intervall has to be reduced. This is important.

I'll send you the CCP for your information..

good Luck
Thanks for the info and the link! I sent it to the BMW rep and asked for to make sure its been done to my X-5, and if it has not been, that it GETS DONE!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 08:31 PM   #118
Birdoprey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
CONGRATS ! told ya, hard to beat a free 2 year unlimited milage warranty backed by the OEM company !!! can't beat it!

Excellent my friend! Hope you get to enjoy the beast to its fullest now that you have a brand new motor!!!!

Hey now it's like you bought it factory fresh and get to to be the first to break it in.

Thank you sir. I'm actually VERY surprised. Rep said the estimate was for over $35,000! He mentioned that BMW typically marks up parts 40%. The Warranty company said they would only pay $500 on top of their cost and pay full labor, taxes. Brought the total to $27,000 and some change. Warranty company said do it.
I guess the warranty company's thought is that if something else happens to the motor BMW will have to deal with it...
Any other option might leave them having to do it all again. I dunno.

BMW rep said it would take them a week to have it ready after they have the motor. He figures a week at most to get the motor. We shall see....

Still at Hurry up and wait, but seeing a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 08:41 PM   #119
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you sir. I'm actually VERY surprised. Rep said the estimate was for over $35,000! He mentioned that BMW typically marks up parts 40%. The Warranty company said they would only pay $500 on top of their cost and pay full labor, taxes. Brought the total to $27,000 and some change. Warranty company said do it.
I guess the warranty company's thought is that if something else happens to the motor BMW will have to deal with it...
Any other option might leave them having to do it all again. I dunno.

BMW rep said it would take them a week to have it ready after they have the motor. He figures a week at most to get the motor. We shall see....

Still at Hurry up and wait, but seeing a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel?
To tell you the truth ! I'd love to buy a used car and get a factory fresh motor out of the deal. Got to look at the bright side. At the end of the day you bought a used car but a brand new OEM engine not a rebuilt POS with inferior parts. I'd call it a big win! Regardless of the little bit of headache. Now you have a good story. And I can sleep well at night knowing I can tell a bad engine when I hear it. Lol....
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 08:44 PM   #120
Akkunasenbohrer
Rep

Quote:
Funny... exact the same numbers as in Germany converted to Euros... 33.000€ was the estimate for my X5 --- too high for the warranty company... what shall I tell, the same story ;-)

But they replace only the engine itself, all secondary parts will be removed from the old engine and installed on the new one...

I jumped in here and ordered replacement on a few parts which limited life time because the labor part is the same whether they use the old parts or new ones. This parts I had to pay of course.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 08:47 PM   #121
Birdoprey
Private
Rep

Quote:
To tell you the truth ! I'd love to buy a used car and get a factory fresh motor out of the deal. Got to look at the bright side. At the end of the day you bought a used car but a brand new OEM engine not a rebuilt POS with inferior parts. I'd call it a big win! Regardless of the little bit of headache. Now you have a good story. And I can sleep well at night knowing I can tell a bad engine when I hear it. Lol....

Ha! Me too! When i first heard it i thought "rod". Was beginning to doubt myself after a bit though. Seeing the metal in the bottom end(especially the long skinny curved shapes) told me definite issues with rod/main bearings at the least.
Still wondering why. I've heard many an engine start out with a very light tap that over time ended in something similar to this. Something must have failed in the oiling system to go south so fast.
Hopefully thats all behind me now though. Just have to worry about the transmission and the transfer case now i guess...oh, and those expensive tires! I'll probably be going with non-run flat tires when the need to replace tires arises. Guess i should measure the circumference of the tires to make sure they are all within 1%(i think thats the number) so i don't chunk the transfer case
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 08:53 PM   #122
Birdoprey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Funny... exact the same numbers as in Germany converted to Euros... 33.000€ was the estimate for my X5 --- too high for the warranty company... what shall I tell, the same story ;-)

But they replace only the engine itself, all secondary parts will be removed from the old engine and installed on the new one...

I jumped in here and ordered replacement on a few parts which limited life time because the labor part is the same whether they use the old parts or new ones. This parts I had to pay of course.
I know they are probably just replacing the 'long block'. All bolt-on parts will be reused. My only real concern with that is the turbos. Of course, i'm not as familiar with the BMW V-8 as i am with others. What other parts did you replace?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 08:55 PM   #123
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

That's awesome news OP! I'm glad it worked out for you

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 08:59 PM   #124
Birdoprey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
That's awesome news OP! I'm glad it worked out for you

Thank you sir! And me too! I had planed to find a lawyer today and setup an appointment to go over my situation this week. Glad the BMW rep called!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 09:04 PM   #125
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I don't really want to pat myself on the back (but I will anyway) but I did give you your first "appreciate". So perhaps I am your lucky rabbits foot? I do however have a related question to the title. Will there be any pings on your title? Like lemon or anything like that? I'm sure this will show up on the Carfax but thats really neither here nor there. Maybe someone more familiar can chime in on the title question.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2017, 09:18 PM   #126
Birdoprey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
I don't really want to pat myself on the back (but I will anyway) but I did give you your first "appreciate". So perhaps I am your lucky rabbits foot? I do however have a related question to the title. Will there be any pings on your title? Like lemon or anything like that? I'm sure this will show up on the Carfax but thats really neither here nor there. Maybe someone more familiar can chime in on the title question.
Yes you did! And thank you sir! Sorry, i try to keep up with posts but hate back tracking much as i seem to get too much info and jumble it all together.

As far as the title, i have no idea. I would not think anything should "ping" it unless it was totaled or considered salvage. I'm sure carfax should show something, but i would not consider this as a bad thing. If i saw "motor replaced" on carfax, i would not think less of it.
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      08-08-2017, 11:28 AM   #127
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Quote:
Great outcome and reward for patience!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 12:28 PM   #128
beachcomberx5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I know they are probably just replacing the 'long block'. All bolt-on parts will be reused. My only real concern with that is the turbos. Of course, i'm not as familiar with the BMW V-8 as i am with others. What other parts did you replace?
There are two areas of concern with the turbos. One is the turbo coolant lines and they can leak over time. BMW charges $2k to replace these but there is a DIY fix for these that is dirt cheap. The second are the turbo wastegates. There is a bushing that the wastegate arm enters into turbo. The bushing wears out causing the wastegate to not function properly. The only fix is to replace turbo because replacing the bushing is not easy. The turbos cost $2500 each plus install.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 12:30 PM   #129
beachcomberx5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomberx5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

There are two areas of concern with the turbos. One is the turbo coolant lines and they can leak over time. BMW charges $2k to replace these but there is a DIY fix for these that is dirt cheap. The second are the turbo wastegates. There is a bushing that the wastegate arm enters into turbo. The bushing wears out causing the wastegate to not function properly. The only fix is to replace turbo because replacing the bushing is not easy. The turbos cost $2500 each plus install.
You will here the wastegate issue as a rattle in engine on deceleration mainly when in enclosed areas like a parking garage.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 03:42 PM   #130
Birdoprey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Guess I need to look into the DIY coolant line fix. Surely there are other options than replacing the turbos? Should a shop that rebuilds turbos be able to replace the bushing?

Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 03:44 PM   #131
Birdoprey
Private
Rep

Quote:
You will here the wastegate issue as a rattle in engine on deceleration mainly when in enclosed areas like a parking garage.
Will be listening for it...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 03:45 PM   #132
Birdoprey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyBuzzard View Post
Great outcome and reward for patience!
Hoping so!
Appreciate 0