XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-26-2020, 10:24 PM   #1
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW x5m | 2001 BMW 540i m

S63TU M5 Exhaust Note For a X5m S63

How do you achieve the better, deeper, exhaust note like in the F10 m5 ?

Is it the exhaust manifold ?

I'm starting to get tired of the s63 sporty v8 sound.
I want a much more deeper tone.

Has anyone done a TU exhaust manifold swap keeping the S63 X5m smaller turbos ?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 11:04 AM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsniperr View Post

In my experience, adding an x-pipe adds a much deeper tone to just about any engine, I remember it doing this back in the 90's to an old chevy 350 I stuffed in a 320i and my friends Mustangs and Firebirds all the way to now (Just added an X-pipe and race resonators to my X5).

I love how mine sounds now, it has a much deeper tone to it. I thought was decent stock, then added downpipes and it made it sound "out of tune and kind of cheap" if that makes sense, just didn't sound right at certain RPM. I then added the X-pipe and race resonators and this completely changed the sound.

The M has different headers and muffler from the 50i but the effect should be very similar. It is louder but only when you step on it, otherwise at cruise there is just a very mild low rumble in the background which is perfect for a performance SUV IMHO. The effect should be even more pronounced on an M with the exhaust flaps open. Cold start is quite loud however but that is mainly due to downpipes.

Here are a few clips:

Revving from Idle: https://soundcloud.com/project-n63/b.../s-Xqryt3Ij9oU

Drive By: https://soundcloud.com/project-n63/b.../s-ULu9mQdpe4e

Cold Start: https://soundcloud.com/project-n63/b.../s-ANJ39IanIVS
Attached Images

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 07-27-2020 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 12:50 AM   #3
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Holy car I can hear your turbos on cold start!

That sounds really good.

I strongly believe the main difference in sound for me will be from adding an X pipe, and a different exhaust manifold. The X5m s63 just has a different exhaust manifold and turbo then the s63tu. I want to know if anyone has found a way to keep stock turbos of s63 and use the s63tu manifold with some type of adapter or clamp. I know the turbo housings are slightly different
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 12:56 AM   #4
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Quote:

In my experience, adding an x-pipe adds a much deeper tone to just about any engine, I remember it doing this back in the 90's to an old chevy 350 I stuffed in a 320i and my friends Mustangs and Firebirds all the way to now (Just added an X-pipe and race resonators to my X5).

I love how mine sounds now, it has a much deeper tone to it. I thought was decent stock, then added downpipes and it made it sound "out of tune and kind of cheap" if that makes sense, just didn't sound right at certain RPM. I then added the X-pipe and race resonators and this completely changed the sound.

The M has different headers and muffler from the 50i but the effect should be very similar. It is louder but only when you step on it, otherwise at cruise there is just a very mild low rumble in the background which is perfect for a performance SUV IMHO. The effect should be even more pronounced on an M with the exhaust flaps open. Cold start is quite loud however but that is mainly due to downpipes.

Here are a few clips:

Revving from Idle: https://soundcloud.com/project-n63/b.../s-Xqryt3Ij9oU

Drive By: https://soundcloud.com/project-n63/b.../s-ULu9mQdpe4e

Cold Start: https://soundcloud.com/project-n63/b.../s-ANJ39IanIVS

Also what brand x pipe and race resonators are you using ?

I'd love to get my car to sound like yours.
I'm 100% positive it's the manifold that needs to be changed as well to get that deep v8 Tone 😫
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 01:26 AM   #5
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

I just got VRSF Downpipes and dropping them off for ceramic coating today. They should make a good difference to the sound. This car is so muted.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 01:45 AM   #6
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
I just got VRSF Downpipes and dropping them off for ceramic coating today. They should make a good difference to the sound. This car is so muted.

I have the the same downpipes.

You'll see how sick it sounds. Pulls so much harder plus the spools.

But as time goes on the sound is out of "tune" it almost sounds too "nasty" and doesn't sound like a true v8 more like a raspy rotary at certain rev and peddle positions.

That's why I am in the search for a decent setup for exhaust.

I want to keep the spools.

I want to deeper the tone more of a throaty v8

I wouldn't mean doing a x pipe and race resonator setup like Castles but I think the manifold is needed for the s63 to truly achieve the v8 sound I'm looking for
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2020, 01:54 AM   #7
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:

But as time goes on the sound is out of "tune" it almost sounds too "nasty" and doesn't sound like a true v8 more like a raspy rotary at certain rev and peddle positions.

I wouldn't mean doing a x pipe and race resonator setup like Castles but I think the manifold is needed for the s63 to truly achieve the v8 sound I'm looking for
If it really turns out to be as you describe in the future, i'll just get an exhaust system with resonated X Pipe or just the resonated Xpipe
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 04:45 AM   #8
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Also what brand x pipe and race resonators are you using ?

I'd love to get my car to sound like yours.
I'm 100% positive it's the manifold that needs to be changed as well to get that deep v8 Tone 😫
Thanks, I really love it and I am going to make my own cut-outs on it something like your M has, It should sounds even better.

Here are links to them both, don't let the price fool you on the resonators, the build quality is excellent.

links to the resonators and X-pipe used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072C6FD5H and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BJZ7FTC )
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 05:04 AM   #9
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

This is EXACTLY what happened to mine! When I did the downpipes, it sounded like crap at certain RPM's, out of tune and a weird nasty resonance that drove me nuts! I finally had enough and took down the entire exhaust system with the goal not to stop until I had it it fixed.

My first thing was to nuke the resonators, replacing with just straight sections of pipe, and just install the X-pipe. HUGE mistake, sounded like crap without any resonators.

I then installed the race resonators and in combination with the x-pipe it gave it a near perfect sound IMHO, I wish it were just a bit louder but that is where the cut-outs will come in. Since you have an M, I bet in M mode it will sound even better with the flaps open.

My theory on why the N63/S63 sound "off" with downpipes is due to the resonators BMW uses, both the 50i and M use the same exhaust from the manifolds back to the mufflers. See the pic below and you can see the different sized resonators uses on the stock exhaust, I believe BMW did this to tune the cars exhaust note but when downpipes are added, it changes the resonance characteristics and we get strange resonances/rasp that make it sound out of tune at certain RPM and will slowly drive you nuts. Adding two same sized resonators along with the X-pipe puts everything back in sync.

So I highly recommend you install the race resonators with the X-pipe at the same time. It's only around 100 dollars in parts and any exhaust shop can install them.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 07-28-2020 at 05:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 05:08 AM   #10
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

This is EXACTLY what happened to mine! When I did the downpipes, it sounded like crap at certain RPM's, out of tune and a weird nasty resonance that drove me nuts! I finally had enough and took down the entire exhaust system with the goal not to stop until I had it it fixed.

My first thing was to nuke the resonators, replacing with just straight sections of pipe, and just install the X-pipe. HUGE mistake, sounded like crap without any resonators.

I then installed the race resonators and in combination with the x-pipe it gave it a near perfect sound, I wish it were just a bit louder but that is where the cut-outs will come in. Since you have an M, I bet in M mode it will sound even better with the flaps open.

My theory on why the N63/S63 sound "off" with downpipes is due to the resonators BMW uses, both the 50i and M use the same exhaust from the manifolds back to the mufflers. See the pic below and you can see the different sized resonators, I believe BMW did this to tune the cars exhaust note but when downpipes are added, it changes the resonance characteristics and we get strange resonances/rasp that make it sound out of tune at certain RPM and will slowly drive you nuts.

So I highly recommend you install the race resonators with the X-pipe at the same time. It's only around 100 dollars in parts and any exhaust shop can install them.

Where can I get the x pipe and race resanators?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 05:15 AM   #11
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I put links above but here they are at Amazon: links to the Resonators and X-pipe used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072C6FD5H and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BJZ7FTC )

Dont let the price fool you, excellent quality on both. BTW, for some reason the polished resonator is cheaper then the plain one I have so might want to get it instead.

I swear it feels faster now too but might be all in my head, will get some draggy times soon to see what it if any difference it made.

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 07-28-2020 at 05:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 05:25 AM   #12
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:
I put links above but here they are at Amazon: links to the Resonators and X-pipe used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072C6FD5H and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BJZ7FTC )

Dont let the price fool you, excellent quality on both. BTW, for some reason the polished resonator is cheaper then the plain one I have so might want to get it instead.

I swear it feels faster now too but might be all in my head, will get some draggy times soon to see what it if any difference it made.
Awesome idea and explanation. I would love to follow in your footsteps. Could you kindly post pics of your exhaust resonators and X pipe installed? Also what size and length resonators are we supposed to buy for the X5M.

The X pipe im sure its the 3", right?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 05:31 AM   #13
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I put links above but here they are at Amazon: links to the resonators and X-pipe used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072C6FD5H and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BJZ7FTC )

dont let the price fool you, excellent quality on both. BTW, for some reason the polished resonator is cheaper then the plain one I have lol so might want to get it instead.

I'm guessing 2 resonators and 1 x pipe correct ?

What diameter ? 3 or 4"?

What length resonators ?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 05:39 AM   #14
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Awesome idea and explanation. I would love to follow in your footsteps. Could you kindly post pics of your exhaust resonators and X pipe installed? Also what size and length resonators are we supposed to buy for the X5M.

The X pipe im sure its the 3", right?
Thanks and sure thing, pics all below showing when I installed the X-pipe and resonator delete, then adding in race resonators as I mentioned before without them it sounded like garbage. Grab the 3" X-pipe, the actual size of the N63/S63 pipes are 2.75" but they dont make a x-pipe that size that is easy to find but its not an issue, the pipes can be enlarged to fit by any exhaust shop or you can get a pipe expander like I did if you decide to do the work yourself. I built a jig to hold the exhaust system as you can see in the pics below as I don't much care for welding above my head while I am under the car.

Get the 3 x 16" resonators.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 07-28-2020 at 05:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 05:51 AM   #15
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

What diameter ? 3 or 4"?

What length resonators ?
2 resonators and grab 3" diameter on both and 16" length. 3" x-pipe too. If you do the work yourself, get an exhaust pipe expander tool as actual pipe size in the M is 2.75 inch but hard to find that size resonators and x-pipe so 3" inch is best choice, if you take to exhaust shop they will already the expander to do the work.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 08:16 AM   #16
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep

Awesome thanks for the info. I'll see how it goes with the DPs and then order these parts of I don't like the sound.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 11:35 AM   #17
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

What diameter ? 3 or 4"?

What length resonators ?
2 resonators and grab 3" diameter on both and 16" length. 3" x-pipe too. If you do the work yourself, get an exhaust pipe expander tool as actual pipe size in the M is 2.75 inch but hard to find that size resonators and x-pipe so 3" inch is best choice, if you take to exhaust shop they will already the expander to do the work.

Thanks bro, just ordered mine up. Will be here on Thursday I'll let you know what I think
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 05:47 PM   #18
frankenm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12' X5M, 99 M3

Having upgraded to the TU turbos on a completely stock exhaust system it sounds basically like the f85 exhaust ... there is a more defined sound now especially noticeable when up shifting and down shifting and under heavy throttle.

I added an X-pipe and exhaust custom made for the f85 and it just made it better.

Your chargepipe also plays a huge role in exhaust note ... when I used my custom setup there was a lighter sound to the exhaust that was very noticeable
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 05:50 PM   #19
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenm View Post
Having upgraded to the TU turbos on a completely stock exhaust system it sounds basically like the f85 exhaust ... there is a more defined sound now especially noticeable when up shifting and down shifting and under heavy throttle.

I added an X-pipe and exhaust custom made for the f85 and it just made it better.

Your chargepipe also plays a huge role in exhaust note ... when I used my custom setup there was a lighter sound to the exhaust that was very noticeable
These are great points.

I will have to install the x pipes and res to see how I end up liking it.

I'd love to have a f85 sounding e70
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 01:16 PM   #20
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Pipes are here. Looking to get them installed in the next 24 hours.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-31-2020, 05:40 PM   #21
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:
Pipes are here. Looking to get them installed in the next 24 hours.
Looking forward to videos
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 03:44 PM   #22
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

X pipes and race res are now in. I thought I already had some race resonators but the ones I saw were stock on the car. So I'm happy we got these new race resonators installed.

got some carbon fiber tips installed as well.

Car is still on the rack, will get some videos posted here soon!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0