XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-01-2019, 05:21 PM   #1
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M

X5M parking brake failed 3 times. Now dealer wants $1600 more!?

I had my parking brake fail back in December of last year. Bizarre symptoms included a loud screeching noise, followed by a loud bang. This would randomly occur, starting about 2 weeks before it finally died. This would occur when I clicked the unlock button on the key fob, and it wouldn't do it all the time, just whenever it felt like. Got it back a few days later from the dealer, fixed under warranty. A $2500 job, lol. 4 months later, exactly the same thing, so I questioned the dealer on their use of aftermarket parts, they said they only use OEM. So, fixed again, then now, a few months ago happened again. So took it in last week, on Monday. They've had it for almost 2 weeks now, and finally they call and say you need to replace all the rear rotors and pads to BMW OEM specs, as there was after market pads / rotors put on a few years ago.

Do you think this could actually be true, or just another cash grab. It's $1600 for just new rotors and pads, and wear sensor for the back. And, they said they wouldn't warranty it for any longer unless I cough up the $1600.

I'm thinking that it's just a stab in the dark on their part, so at worst, they get another $1600 as they've had it in the shop 3 times and only charged me once. So, probably even if I replace the rear brakes, 4 months later, it will do it again. It seems like an electrical fault, like something is sending way too much current to the parking brake unit, causing it to die, as the screaching and loud bang happens only when I unlock the car with the remote, not when I actually unlock the parking brakes by touching the button.

Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 08:53 PM   #2
BigHunk
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M , iX , S1000XR

So let me cut your suffering, had similar issue with Bmw north shore and Brian Jessel.
They did some warranty work on suspension, couple weeks after,there was some clonking noise.Went back they couldn't find what's wrong.
Got recommendation for Nixon automotive, went there, setup appointment, they found right away what was it, Bmw dealership didn't retorque to proper specs or at all.That was just one of many thing wrong with "authorized services"

Save yourself of unnecessary hassle, time and money.

https://nixonautomotive.com/
      11-01-2019, 09:13 PM   #3
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
This is precisely why I DIY as much as possible. They don’t give a 5hit about doing things right, such as proper torque values.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2019, 02:50 PM   #4
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHunk View Post
So let me cut your suffering, had similar issue with Bmw north shore and Brian Jessel.
They did some warranty work on suspension, couple weeks after,there was some clonking noise.Went back they couldn't find what's wrong.
Got recommendation for Nixon automotive, went there, setup appointment, they found right away what was it, Bmw dealership didn't retorque to proper specs or at all.That was just one of many thing wrong with "authorized services"

Save yourself of unnecessary hassle, time and money.

https://nixonautomotive.com/
OK, thanks man, will do, so I guess that's a NO on new rear pads/rotors? They look in great shape to me. I was going to go to Nixon last year, but they had more than a 2 week waiting period, now I know why.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 03:07 PM   #5
Molez93
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M, 2001 740i

Unless you went with something truly unusual for rotors and pads, there's almost zero chance it's the cause of your issue. Can't speak to parking brake problems as I've not had any across the 5 E70s I've owned. However, none have experienced issues with aftermarket pads/rotors for the 2 where I had such installed.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 11:30 PM   #6
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molez93 View Post
Unless you went with something truly unusual for rotors and pads, there's almost zero chance it's the cause of your issue. Can't speak to parking brake problems as I've not had any across the 5 E70s I've owned. However, none have experienced issues with aftermarket pads/rotors for the 2 where I had such installed.
Yeah, makes perfect sense. Basically, there's no way they would cause an issue unless they were actually the wrong size, like an inch smaller or something. After market pads/rotors would still be exactly identical to OEM in dimensions, just weight and material would probably be different.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 02:22 PM   #7
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Sounds like they do not know what is going on either, and so just making a "safe" guess that all parts involved need to be OE and in spec. Like eliminating potential problem causes... in the hopes that the issue does not re-occur.
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0