XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-23-2018, 05:26 PM   #1
clevemont
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 f97 BG X3Mc

Opinions Wanted! - 2013 X5M Purchase

Wanted to get some input from the community on whether or not this is a reasonable price on a two-owner 2013 Alpine White/Mugello Red X5M with 50K miles. It's priced at $43k (Carmax no-haggle pricing, unfortunately) and I'm considering getting the MaxCare exclusionary warranty for up to 100k/5 years for just under $5k w/$150 deductible. With tax, title, etc. the all-in cost would be ~$52k. I've been looking for a 2013 low mileage example with the adaptive LED headlights for a bit now and they appear to be few and far between. I think my desperation has convinced me that $52k is a reasonable price even though my gut tells me it's on the high side...thoughts on price and whether the warranty is worth it? The fact that I can't negotiate the price down kills me but the warranty gives me some piece of mind. Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

The truck is fully loaded for the most part (I believe). Some highlights:
-Clean Carfax (not that this means much)
-Adaptive LED Headlights
-Extended leather (see pics attached) with carbon fiber trim
-Comfort access
-Soft-Close Doors
-Park Distance Control (with Backup Camera and side view camera)
-Light Package
-Head-up display
-DVD rear entertainment
-Individual Audio System
Attached Images

Last edited by clevemont; 02-23-2018 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 05:52 PM   #2
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
Go with your gut. Nice car, but the price is high.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 06:24 PM   #3
nmgunner
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

I bought the same exact car from Carmax(except mine had black interior) with 37k miles for 52k all in with the same warranty back in September. Adaptive led soft close comfort access active seats etc. Second x5m I have bought from Carmax. I recommend you take it in for a ppi with your Bmw dealer and take the report back to Carmax within the 5 day grace period from purchase. I have them fix everything that Bmw finds and they do. The warranty is great. My sa at bmw says he has never had problems with them and I haven’t either.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 06:34 PM   #4
Kauaian
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 & E70 X5

That is a beautiful color combo! An alternative is finding a lower mileage 2010/11 which seem to be fetching mid 30’s with the same options. You can use the saved funds to swap the head lights. It will require more work but you will save a decent amount. You could also use the saved funds to purchase an extended warranty but be sure to do your homework on the coverages.

I went to my local CarMax where they had a 2011 with 47K Miles. Price was 38k and they wanted to steal my car from me. They wanted top dollar for their vehicle but offered me 1/3 the price of what they were selling a similar vehicle for.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 07:21 PM   #5
clevemont
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmgunner View Post
I bought the same exact car from Carmax(except mine had black interior) with 37k miles for 52k all in with the same warranty back in September. Adaptive led soft close comfort access active seats etc. Second x5m I have bought from Carmax. I recommend you take it in for a ppi with your Bmw dealer and take the report back to Carmax within the 5 day grace period from purchase. I have them fix everything that Bmw finds and they do. The warranty is great. My sa at bmw says he has never had problems with them and I haven’t either.
Thanks nmgunner for the heads up on the PPI. Any tips on negotiating with Carmax, if at all possible? In addition to having them fix the stuff that a PPI might bubble up, I read also that you can have them put on a new set of tires as well even if the price itself is not negotiable.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 07:42 PM   #6
ncm5guy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 5.0 M Sport

I bought my 2010 X5M in 2013 from CarMax (5 years ago) for $54K. It is absolutely fully loaded and I felt like I was stealing it. Seeing this price makes me still agree. I did not negotiate- nor do i think they entertain the concept.

Regardless, I did buy the extended Carmax warranty. It was such a good warranty that my SA at the local dealer also agreed that the price was great/ he'd worked with them a bunch/ and to get it. Needless to say, this warranty paid for itself 10X over. They make you pay a $50 co-pay if you dont take the car to them....mine never went back to carmax again.

DM me if you have any questions.
2002 M5- retired
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 08:55 PM   #7
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Wow, nice find! AW/Mugello Red X5M w/ LED. I can't imagine that many of these were built? There's certain configurations I would probably over-pay for...this is one of them

Without the VIN we can't know it's actual configuration, but I'm sure it's mostly loaded. The only thing I can see it's missing from pics is the Active Ventilated Seat Package, which wasn't available with the Mugello Red interior. With that being said, I'd give up ventilated seats (this one has the multi-contour seats) for that red interior

I'd go for it
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 09:03 PM   #8
nmgunner
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevemont View Post
Thanks nmgunner for the heads up on the PPI. Any tips on negotiating with Carmax, if at all possible? In addition to having them fix the stuff that a PPI might bubble up, I read also that you can have them put on a new set of tires as well even if the price itself is not negotiable.
No negotiating on price. They will push back on the ppi but threaten with a return and they normally agree to fix everything. They normally send it straight to Bmw or might bid it out to the best indie.

As far as tires it really depends on you relationship with the sales person. I bought six different vehicles through the same sales guy and palmed the service guy a fifty. They replaced my tires but it’s all dependent.

After the initial 30 days where they are obligated to fix things, I now take it directly to my sa at the bmw dealer. It costs $50 more on the copay but usually is much quicker and you might score a loaner as well. Love your interior color. I had an e39 m5 with black and red two tone.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 09:03 PM   #9
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Awesome looking color combo. It does have just about everything you want to look for in an E70 X5M, but I'd pass on it personally. Think about the other vehicles that you could buy for $54k. There are MY2015 X5Ms (F85) selling for low $60k's with 50k miles...just an example, but I'm really just saying that it's big money for an older car.

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 09:13 PM   #10
nmgunner
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
Awesome looking color combo. It does have just about everything you want to look for in an E70 X5M, but I'd pass on it personally. Think about the other vehicles that you could buy for $54k. There are MY2015 X5Ms (F85) selling for low $60k's with 50k miles...just an example, but I'm really just saying that it's big money for an older car.
It’s spendy but you are buying it knowing that anything that is broken will be fixed by them and a great warranty for a low price. I paid 3800 for 5 year 100k miles with a 100 dollar deductible. It covers basically everything. My first x5m bought through Carmax had 9000 dollars of repairs based off of the ppi covered by Carmax. And that was in the first 30 days of ownership lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 09:44 PM   #11
ncm5guy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 5.0 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Wow, nice find! AW/Mugello Red X5M w/ LED. I can't imagine that many of these were built? There's certain configurations I would probably over-pay for...this is one of them

Without the VIN we can't know it's actual configuration, but I'm sure it's mostly loaded. The only thing I can see it's missing from pics is the Active Ventilated Seat Package, which wasn't available with the Mugello Red interior. With that being said, I'd give up ventilated seats (this one has the multi-contour seats) for that red interior

I'd go for it
Agree- Active Vent seats are basically worthless. I even have massaging driver seat- maybe used it 4 times in 5 years.

Red is not my fav interior- but I bet it pops with the White exterior. After you install an AVIN head until- this thing will be beauty on the inside.....

Keep us posted if you pull the trigger...
2002 M5- retired
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 11:13 PM   #12
clevemont
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmgunner View Post
It’s spendy but you are buying it knowing that anything that is broken will be fixed by them and a great warranty for a low price. I paid 3800 for 5 year 100k miles with a 100 dollar deductible. It covers basically everything. My first x5m bought through Carmax had 9000 dollars of repairs based off of the ppi covered by Carmax. And that was in the first 30 days of ownership lol.
Thanks everyone for the input. Really appreciating everyone’s thoughts. Not sure if Carmax changed their Maxcare plans but they offered me $50 and $150 deductibles ($50 less if I repairs are done by Carmax). Based on what I’m reading here, it seems like most people with Maxcare have gone with the smallest deductible, although the 100k/5 year warranty is priced at $5,800 at the lowest deductible...I’m curious how they price their warranties because it seems like the pricing may have gone up.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 11:32 PM   #13
clevemont
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncm5guy View Post
Agree- Active Vent seats are basically worthless. I even have massaging driver seat- maybe used it 4 times in 5 years.

Red is not my fav interior- but I bet it pops with the White exterior. After you install an AVIN head until- this thing will be beauty on the inside.....

Keep us posted if you pull the trigger...
Just researched the AVIN head units. I hadn’t even considered any internal mods, but the AVIN screens look awesome!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 12:03 AM   #14
Mstatus45
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

you don't see this color combo every day definitely more exclusive, you get what you pay for I guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 08:41 AM   #15
argento
Captain
Rep

I was looking last March and carmax had a 2013 with 24k miles priced at $53k no-haggle. I strongly considered it, but I hesitated and it didn't last but a couple days on the market. I ended up picking up the same vehicle from a bmw dealer with 15k miles and a new set of RFT Bridgestones for the same price. I had to call and commit, unseen, within hours of the posting to snag it. I thought it was a reasonable price, or at least I was willing to pay that. In a few years it should be still be low miles (DD, 8k/year)if I want to move to an F85...with that in mind the lower miles were worth it to me. $0.02.
      02-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #16
Performancedieselpros
Banned
Rep
Drives: X6 m

When I bought my wife's X6 M I knew I wanted a first generation. Lucked out and found a powerdome 2014 that was a 1 owner original lease to purchase car that had all records kept and was pristine. I bought it knowing it would be getting modified, and didn't even hesitate to buy it even with having 70k on the clock and had it inspected prepurchase prior and it's flawless.

With an aftermarket 3yr/42k top to bottom warranty tt&l and all with new RFTs I paid only 40k for a car that stickered for 113k in 2014.

That's a price worth it in my opinion, especially knowing this car will see 500 mile a month tops.

Stick with the 2013/2014 as the early year flaws got worked out.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 11:10 AM   #17
clevemont
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks again everyone for the input. Just to give those who are curious an update, I went to look at the x5m yesterday and was so hoping to get there and be like, "This is it. It's perfect." Sadly, the exterior was not as pristine as I was hoping it would be. I don't think the car was garaged much because a lot of the plastic black panels had either greyed (the pseudo running boards definitely had faded) or had tons of swirl marks. The front bumper had a lot of rock chips which looked like they had been covered with whiteout (not kidding) which was not the same shade as the Alpine White. The interior was in better shape than the outside, but there were a couple spots where the leather had torn a little. I assume the previous owner was a woman because the top layer of the leather on the steering wheel was almost missing most likely due to constant scuffing from rings.

All those things add up to a difficult decision because I'm pretty OCD about my cars and was spoiled by the 2012 e92 M3 that I got last year that was so well taken care of by the previous owner.

Anyways, if anyone is in the market for one, I'd be happy to answer any questions about the one here at the LAX Carmax while I myself mull over the decision.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 12:56 PM   #18
argento
Captain
Rep

There are loads of them to buy out there...don't settle on one that doesn't have exactly what (or is in the condition) you want...when you're gaga about dropping that much $$ down, then you've found the right one.
      02-26-2018, 01:03 PM   #19
clevemont
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
There are loads of them to buy out there...don't settle on one that doesn't have exactly what (or is in the condition) you want...when you're gaga about dropping that much $$ down, then you've found the right one.
Where are the loads of 2013 X5Ms?!?!

I've been looking for a couple months now and the supply is pretty low for a 2013 with LEDs. I might just have to settle on a 2012 w/o the LED lights. I've scoured the threads, autotrader, cars.com, truecar, cargurus, as well as craigslist for the western half of the US and there really isn't much out there at the moment. I guess patience is key here!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 01:52 PM   #20
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevemont View Post
Where are the loads of 2013 X5Ms?!?!

I've been looking for a couple months now and the supply is pretty low for a 2013 with LEDs. I might just have to settle on a 2012 w/o the LED lights. I've scoured the threads, autotrader, cars.com, truecar, cargurus, as well as craigslist for the western half of the US and there really isn't much out there at the moment. I guess patience is key here!
Since your visited the CarMax in the LAX area, did you go look at the 2013 in Hawthorne? It has all options except the spare tire. Miles are kinda high tho... https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=164396240
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 02:00 PM   #21
clevemont
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
Since your visited the CarMax in the LAX area, did you go look at the 2013 in Hawthorne? It has all options except the spare tire. Miles are kinda high tho...
I did. That M was not in great shape. First, they needed to jump the car to start it and it had a host of error messages. There was noticeable wear and tear on the outside and the interior was not in much better shape. Tons of scratches on the brushed metal trim. The leather was not taken care of and very dirty. The M button actually got stuck after I pushed it and wouldn't release so there was that for the next driver, lol. Not an issue with the car, but the 2 pack a day cigarette breath of the salesperson in the passenger seat also didn't help with the overall test drive experience. I would tell anyone looking to pass on this one.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 02:18 PM   #22
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Wow, pics can be deceiving. Don't know what your budget is, but jandref321 had a suggestion about the F85's with higher mileage still under factory warranty. If not, we'll tryin' help find you a E70 M. But it takes a lot of patience!
Appreciate 0