XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
TahoeM3
Major
Rep
Drives: F-type R, GTR, X5 50i

Injector replacement 2012 X5 50i

I've had a check engine light pop up this week so I took my X5 in for service. I've had some roughh idle and o have noticed more black soot on the exhaust surrounds. They are telling me that they found the injectors are the problem and are replacing them. Has anyone else had this? Seems kind of odd to me. I have only had this X5 since last March, although it does have 20k miles on it.
Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
och
Banned
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
2012 X5 xDrive50i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2017 X6M  [0.00]
2013 Suzuki Bouleva ...  [0.00]
Black soot is caused by wrong fuel to air ratio, which can be a result of bad injector(s). Are they replacing all injectors? Very unlikely for all injectors to be defective, i'd put my money on bad fuel pump.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
Jesse@MBRP
Entrepreneur
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Lamborghini Huracan EVO

My 50i seems to be suffering from the same symptoms. Keep us posted.
2020 BMW X3M Competition
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
TahoeM3
Major
Rep

Thanks! The story I got is that they are replacing all of the injectors. I'm supposed to get it back tomorrow, so I'll post an update if everything is back to normal.

I also forgot to mention that it takes longer to start up with the engine turning over more times before it starts, and a few times this week I have felt a mild shuddering at idle when it is rough. From that I guess it makes more sense that och is right about the fuel pump.

Also, the black soot is much heavier on the left (driver) side exhaust, and there is a more pronounced gas/exhaust smell that wasn't there before. My symptoms are very similar to this post http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=657057 except without the change in mileage or the gear change surging.
Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...

Last edited by TahoeM3; 02-18-2013 at 09:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
och
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2017 X6M  [0.00]
I bet its the fuel pump.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
mrpcar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Garage List
Check my post history, I've had my injectors replaced twice. First time 2 injectors, and 2nd time they replaced all the injectors. The dealer finally admitted to me that BMW had a bad batch of injectors.

When I first noticed the issue I saw that the bumper surround was getting dark from the exhaust tip, which was a sign of unburn fuel, evidence of drippy injectors. When I took my car to the dealer they thought I was crazy, but with my years of ICE experience I knew exactly what was wrong and told them to check it out. And they were able to pull two misfired codes from the DME, but the check engine light was not on. So they replaced the 2 injectors where the misfire code was showing. Several weeks later the bumper was getting blacken again, and I noticed fumes and smoke on start up, which again leads me to believe the injectors were leaky again. But since they couldn't pull the code they couldn't replace the injectors. Fucking morons! Now days they all depend on a stupid computer to tell them what to do. What happened to real mechanics?

They told me to drive it some more until the check engine light come on and bring it back. So I did drove it more and finally to the point where the engine was not starting properly. It took some very long cranking cycle before it will catch. Which make sense the injectors were leaking and the fuel lines were empty.

I suspected that there were issues with the BMW direct injections injectors, but no one responded after my post. Glad to see that people are experiencing the same issue now.

I think most people are not as sensitive as my butt when it comes to cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
TahoeM3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpcar View Post
Check my post history, I've had my injectors replaced twice. First time 2 injectors, and 2nd time they replaced all the injectors. The dealer finally admitted to me that BMW had a bad batch of injectors.

When I first noticed the issue I saw that the bumper surround was getting dark from the exhaust tip, which was a sign of unburn fuel, evidence of drippy injectors. When I took my car to the dealer they thought I was crazy, but with my years of ICE experience I knew exactly what was wrong and told them to check it out. And they were able to pull two misfired codes from the DME, but the check engine light was not on. So they replaced the 2 injectors where the misfire code was showing. Several weeks later the bumper was getting blacken again, and I noticed fumes and smoke on start up, which again leads me to believe the injectors were leaky again. But since they couldn't pull the code they couldn't replace the injectors. Fucking morons! Now days they all depend on a stupid computer to tell them what to do. What happened to real mechanics?

They told me to drive it some more until the check engine light come on and bring it back. So I did drove it more and finally to the point where the engine was not starting properly. It took some very long cranking cycle before it will catch. Which make sense the injectors were leaking and the fuel lines were empty.

I suspected that there were issues with the BMW direct injections injectors, but no one responded after my post. Glad to see that people are experiencing the same issue now.

I think most people are not as sensitive as my butt when it comes to cars.
Yeah I guess it is the injectors after all. Your post plus this...http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...33260...pretty much clinches it. Hopefully I wil get it back today.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
mrpcar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeM3 View Post
Yeah I guess it is the injectors after all. Your post plus this...http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...33260...pretty much clinches it. Hopefully I wil get it back today.
Just read the story. Same BS, no code no fix. What happened to automotive mechanics now days, it's so obvious there is a problem, why wait until things get worst and more things to go bad before fixing them?

Well, I did asked the dealer why. Their response was if there is no code thrown BMW will not honor the repair and cover the cost of the warranty repair. So the culprit... BMW
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
och
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2017 X6M  [0.00]
How common is this problem? I sure hope I don't run into this problem!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #10
mrpcar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by och View Post
How common is this problem? I sure hope I don't run into this problem!
It is more common than people think. An easy way to tell is to see if the bumper area is blacken around the exhaust tip area.

Of course if you have a black car it's impossible to tell, but on white cars it is very obvious. I have seen this at least on 3-4 X5M around my area. It is not normal, after my injectors was replaced the bumper have remained clean no blacken area at all.

FWIW, when I had the issue the car drove quit fine, no stalling or MPG issues. However the car did felt under powered. It wasn't quit noticeable until after the new injectors were installed.

But the key point is that the dealer finally admitted to me that BMW had a batch of bad injectors.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #11
TahoeM3
Major
Rep

Got my X5 back with new injectors and plugs. Everything seems back to normal...no rough idle, no long cranking, no black soot, and no check engine light. Power and gas mileage seem about the same...although it was no slouch before, being faster than a new S5 coupe off the line to around 80 when I let up, and door-to-door even with a Mustang GT 5.0 on a 40-100 roll.

While I was at the dealership, I drove an X5M and a new M5 (awesome, btw) and I can say the difference between the 3 is pretty subtle. I know the 50i is slower, but it's not a big difference...the difference among them is much less noticeable than the difference between any of them and my GTR, for comparison.

Whatever the case, all seems back to normal. For anyone else having these problems, it's definitely the injectors.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #12
v8888vx6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6 50i 2009

So I was told they changing mine injectors with the updated, cause it was done twice already in 2011 and 2012 and they still causing some errors
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #13
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey X5M

Does anyone know what the labor involved in replacing all of the injectors and plugs is? Curious to know what BMW takes as a hit for these bad injectors.
      03-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #14
mrpcar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It's not worth it for BMW to clean them, I would assume there would not be too many places that can ultrasonically clean and properly test them due to the high pressure required for the direction injection injectors.

The direct injection injectors are a major pain in the butt to replace them. I took my engine cover off just to get an idea, oh boy definitely a job I am not interested to do. Each injectors have it's own high pressure fitting fuel line which getting to them will be a major PITA!

BMW better figure out the injector problem soon, or else it's going to cost them an arm and a leg.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #15
chrisnyc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 50i

Interesting.. When i got my blk 2011 50i cpo, the exhaust tips were flat black; i thought that someone simply blackened the tips.. Later on i discovered that furher down the pipe is chrome/silver; i've tried to remove the black "frosting" using sort of chemicals but it was unsuccessful
Now that i'm reading this thread the pitch black exhaust tips(that i was finally able to sand and repaint black lol) could have been caused by the fuel mixture that is too rich.. So far i have no error codes or check engine light.. I have also purchased my truck @park ave and reading the stories above does not make me feel confident even servicing with them...
Aren't there an injector cleaners like bg44k that could unclog the injectors?
      03-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #16
mrpcar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnyc View Post
Interesting.. When i got my blk 2011 50i cpo, the exhaust tips were flat black; i thought that someone simply blackened the tips.. Later on i discovered that furher down the pipe is chrome/silver; i've tried to remove the black "frosting" using sort of chemicals but it was unsuccessful
Now that i'm reading this thread the pitch black exhaust tips(that i was finally able to sand and repaint black lol) could have been caused by the fuel mixture that is too rich.. So far i have no error codes or check engine light.. I have also purchased my truck park ave and reading the stories above does not make me feel confident even servicing with them...
Aren't there an injector cleaners like bg44k that could unclog the injectors?
My exhaust tips were always black, as long as the bumper area surrounding the exhaust tip is not black then you are fine.

A leaky injector may not set off a CEL, however it may have several misfire codes stored. It takes a lot of failure and issues to set off the CEL. But the misfire code is still store in the DME, the dealer can read that.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 06:56 AM   #17
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey X5M

I had the black soot on the rear of my M last summer and brought it in, but since there were no codes stored, they said....sorry, but did do an update, which seemed to clear up the black soot issue. A month or so ago, it would misfire upon start up occasionally, so I was getting a little suspicious. Well, after I had a few paint touch ups done at the BMW body shop, the CEL came on when they started it. They took it to the dealer and sure enough-injectors left a code. They replaced them all including the plugs under an SID.-I have the number on the repair order in the truck so if anyone needs it, I'll post it later today. Nice to know it wasn't cheap and they had to pay for it!
      05-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #18
5seriesHB
In The Game!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 535 Msprt/12 X5 5.0 Msprt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeM3 View Post
I've had a check engine light pop up this week so I took my X5 in for service. I've had some roughh idle and o have noticed more black soot on the exhaust surrounds. They are telling me that they found the injectors are the problem and are replacing them. Has anyone else had this? Seems kind of odd to me. I have only had this X5 since last March, although it does have 20k miles on it.
did these issues start happening after the DINAN install.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 07:12 AM   #19
mrpcar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well, several month after the dealer replaced the injectors the bumper is starting to get dark again and I can really feel a drastic reduction in performance.

I think BMW have a serious issue on their hands with these direct injection injectors. Anyone knows a higher up contact information from BMW? I don't want to waste my time with the dealers, I want to speak to someone who is in charge. I have a good theory why this is happening to all the injectors, and would like to share this information.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #20
5seriesHB
In The Game!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 535 Msprt/12 X5 5.0 Msprt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpcar View Post
Well, several month after the dealer replaced the injectors the bumper is starting to get dark again and I can really feel a drastic reduction in performance.

I think BMW have a serious issue on their hands with these direct injection injectors. Anyone knows a higher up contact information from BMW? I don't want to waste my time with the dealers, I want to speak to someone who is in charge. I have a good theory why this is happening to all the injectors, and would like to share this information.
Personally I think your on the right track keeping your complaints directed towards BMWusa! The dealer will take your car back 100 times and attempt to fix it, because they get money everytime from BMWusa. I personally had a car repurchased from MB a few yrs back. If I were you I would start the process of asking for the car to be repurchased. If the car has been in enough times and u also state that you and your family are in fear for your safety there is good chance your car will be bought back.
I would not waste my time trying to educate BMW on possible scenarios or theories as to why this problem keeps occurring!
Get ur money and go by a new car.
If they repurchase the car, depending when these issues started happening it could financially be worth your while
If u ever want to talk further PM me
Cheers
Rob
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #21
V8M3Bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E70 X5 XDrive50i

I am having this issue as well. I had a CEL and reduced power a few thousand miles ago, got one injector replaced. Here we are now and black soot is a mess on the drivers side, it has a rough start on occasion and when I park in the garage it stinks of fuel out of the exhaust. Oh and the left side smokes like a diesel on acceleration. I want to take it back in but I'm hesitant without a CEL. Mileage and power seem to not be affected. Last tank I averaged 19mpg which tied for my all time best tank.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #22
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 BSM X5///MC

Yep, very common problem for the N63. BMW has had multiple part number revisions trying to sort out the problem, but no dice yet. On the 550i, 650i, 750i, and X5 50i, it's the same issue... this engine is plagued.

After having my 50i in the shop for 3 months with the injectors being replaced multiple times, the DME replaced, and the fuel pump replaced, I dumped the continually misfiring POS and got an X5M.
Appreciate 0