XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
Portlinggi
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 x35i E70N 2011 (RHD)

Help with new E70 Hi Fi speaker system upgrade

Hi. I just got my X5 i35x E70 (LCI) 2011 model about a month ago. It comes with the Hi Fi speaker system (S676A) consisting of 12 speakers, woofers and tweeters. It sound so bad that I badly want to upgrade my audio system. I am not an audiophile and I just want a cool decent sound system upgrade to go with my bimmer. And i dont want risk losing my BMW warranty.

So after a long cross forum research and learning from experts like Technic, VP Electricity, Holston of BSW, Ctuna and others, I have purchased the following :

1) A complete set of BSW Stage 1 Audio upgrade for BMW X5 07+ (E70) consisting of 7 tweeters and 7 speakers. (The mistake I did was instead of getting a 5 tweeters and 5 speakers Hi Fi version, I got myself the Logic7 / Harman Kardon version which is meant for the Top Hi Fi Amplifier.

2) A pair of EarthQuake Sound SWS-8X 8" 4-Ohm 300 Watt Shallow Woofer.

I need help with with the following questions. I believe many others will benefit from these feedback.

a) Can my BSW Logic7 / Harman Kardon version speakers work with BMW X5 Hi Fi amplifier unit? Any harnesses or safe retrofit out there? Or can I replace the Hi Fi Amplifier to BMW original Top Hi Fi Amplifier?

b) if I can't use my BSW on my existing system then what PnP aftermarket speakers and tweeters can i get? Or buy a new set of BSW Hi Fi version set? (i wonder if BSW can exchange them with my logic7 BSW set?) or can i get *a Gladen Audio direct fit BMW 200 series. (from Germany)? Or?

c) if i cant use BMW original Top Hi Fi Amplifier, what PnP aftermarket amplifier can i fit in my car? How many amplifier should I get to power my new after market 12 pieces of speakers, tweeters and EQ woofer? One or two? What make and model?

d) Do I need to get a processor like the JBL MS-8? Or something else? Can MS 8 work as a standalone amplifier?

e) How can I get a complete set of PnP wire harness/es to install all my speakers, woofers, tweeters, amplifiers and processor?

f) I am going to get an audio shop to install all this in my X5 but can I get some help to me what goes where and how to do the complete installation?*

g) if I can fit in an original BMW Top Hi Fi amplifier instead the intended aftermarket amplifier/s can i still add in the MS-8?

So please advise. I need it badly.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast, very very fast...

Before doing anything I'd let the system break in. Just like the rest of the car it needs to too. I'd also try playing around with the equalizer. I am an audiophile and a sound and recording guy and with some tweaking I have mine sounding great. Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
Purgatory
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 xDrive 5.0

+1 - I just bought a 2011 X5 with the base audio system, and it is just awful, I can hardly stand it. I love the vehicle in every other way, but I am looking for a way to upgrade. I'm really hoping that there are some answers out there as I have researched the forum thoroughly and haven't really found a good answer.

As an additional question, is it possible to add additional speakers to the base audio system (ie. a center channel speaker in the dash or a sub woofer in the trunk or under seat?). I am hoping for the cleanest solution so as to keep everything appear stock.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
Portlinggi
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLed79 View Post
Before doing anything I'd let the system break in. Just like the rest of the car it needs to too. I'd also try playing around with the equalizer. I am an audiophile and a sound and recording guy and with some tweaking I have mine sounding great. Just a thought.
Thanks JLed79. Yeah. Should do that. But mine has no equalizer. I guess equalizer is only trown in for Top Hi Fi sound system and Individual Sound systems only. How I wish I had it on my CIC. Finding out from the local BMW office whether I can replace my Hi Fi Amp with Top Hi Fi amp on Hi Fi wiring harness. Then I can get my CIC retrofitted to work the equaliser.

I know that if Top Hi Fi sound system runs on fiber optic cables than it would not be possible cause my Hi Fi sound system runs on copper (i guess, but definately not on fiber optic cables that connect to the MOST harness) They will get back to me by next Monday. Will keep posting.

If anyone can add their knowledge on this matter, I welcome.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
Portlinggi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purgatory View Post
+1 - I just bought a 2011 X5 with the base audio system, and it is just awful, I can hardly stand it. I love the vehicle in every other way, but I am looking for a way to upgrade. I'm really hoping that there are some answers out there as I have researched the forum thoroughly and haven't really found a good answer.

As an additional question, is it possible to add additional speakers to the base audio system (ie. a center channel speaker in the dash or a sub woofer in the trunk or under seat?). I am hoping for the cleanest solution so as to keep everything appear stock.
Yeah. Same here. Love that vehicle. If your is base system, it's one rung lower than mine. So you have 6 speakers, right. Must be terrible for a bimmer. Well, the documents I found always began with Hi Fi system. But I believe you don't have an amplifier in your X5, right? The sound is fed straight from the Head Unit. So logically you could not add more speakers. But many experts states that the best system to do a clean upgrade is sound system as yours.

Its very interesting that there is no clear solution for a decent audio system upgrade on the forum. If some of our experts could just travel thru this post I believe many will benefit.

There are some ideas on E70 audio upgrade here and there cross forum, but it's hard to make any sense when you put them together.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30

Garage List
Here is an upgrade solution that worked on my X5 and I am very happy with the sound that's being produced:
Old: BMW HI-FI Amp with 5 speakers (5 tweeters + 5 mid-ranges) + 2 subs
New:
- 2 McIntosh Power Amps (6 channel 50w each)
- 1 Audison bit one sound processor
- 2 EarthQuake Sound SWS-8X 8" 2-Ohm 300 Watt Shallow Woofers (under fr. seats)
- 1 Focal 8" Sub-woofer 600w (in trunk area, built box)
- 7 Hertz 100's Mid-range speakers
- 7 Hertz HT-25 Tweeters

All connected directly to the BMW CCC head unit (which I am planning to replace with CIC in a few months)

Amazing improvement over the original BMW System. Barely any fitting adjustments needed to be done.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
schaeffs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorbmwx5
Here is an upgrade solution that worked on my X5 and I am very happy with the sound that's being produced:
Old: BMW HI-FI Amp with 5 speakers (5 tweeters + 5 mid-ranges) + 2 subs
New:
- 2 McIntosh Power Amps (6 channel 50w each)
- 1 Audison bit one sound processor
- 2 EarthQuake Sound SWS-8X 8" 2-Ohm 300 Watt Shallow Woofers (under fr. seats)
- 1 Focal 8" Sub-woofer 600w (in trunk area, built box)
- 7 Hertz 100's Mid-range speakers
- 7 Hertz HT-25 Tweeters

All connected directly to the BMW CCC head unit (which I am planning to replace with CIC in a few months)

Amazing improvement over the original BMW System. Barely any fitting adjustments needed to be done.
This is great advice Igor - thanks. Am assuming you went from base spec to this?

What would an approx cost be for this set-up?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 07:12 PM   #8
kiran.dll
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5D 2011

BMW AUDIO X5 D 2011. Base stereo to anything better

I love the X5 but the audio system in the suv is a base audio and it sucks.
I dont think there is amp in the suv.
How do I check.
My SUV is a CPO. How do I upgrade without any issues with warranty etc....
Please help. Am clueless.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 07:23 PM   #9
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran.dll View Post
I love the X5 but the audio system in the suv is a base audio and it sucks.
I dont think there is amp in the suv.
How do I check.
My SUV is a CPO. How do I upgrade without any issues with warranty etc....
Please help. Am clueless.
I think CPO is equal to a "gold," warranty, which doesn't cover nav/radio anyways. A platinum warranty covers the radio/nav system.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 09:42 PM   #10
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Interesting thread, and I agree the base audio is awful for a 60K+ vehicle.

I'm looking to buy an X5 and have listened to both the standard audio (S676A) and the upgraded (S677A) Hi-Fi sound system, and the difference is quickly noticeable, to the point I would not consider one that didn't have the upgraded audio. Dealer killer.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 06:20 AM   #11
x5joe2013
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 50i

I swapped out my hifi speakers with BAV Sound ones about 3 months ago. Definitely improve the total crap that was previously the hifi system. They are much clearer and clean at high volume.

Now I'm considering a JL stealth box sub install or a combo of switching out the under seat woofers + adding an amp to power them.

I'd rather do the stealthbox l, but I'm concerned of unnecessary rattling of the trim pieces.

Any thoughts on the better way to go?

Joe
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 11:13 PM   #12
props23
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5M

I know this thread is a bit dated, but has anyone worked with "technic" to get a PnP wiring harness for an aftermarket amp?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 12:32 AM   #13
mitch808
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by props23 View Post
I know this thread is a bit dated, but has anyone worked with "technic" to get a PnP wiring harness for an aftermarket amp?
Why don't you just copy what JL Audio already makes, and documents off their website?

They used to make this kit:
http://www.amazon.com/JL-Audio-SMS-B.../dp/B00IFA3X06

I can't seem to find it on their site anymore (Looks like it was discontinued). But an amp, xovers, line level convertor, and all the custom brackets you need to mount the amp, in a hidden location. Here is the manual: http://content.abt.com/documents/425...tion-guide.pdf

Using a simple $120 speaker level adapter from JL Audio, Click here for infoyou have amp level outputs, to plug into a 4 channel/5ch amp, and build your own system.

Basically they gave you directions on what wires to cut for the signal processor, and bam, you're amp ready at that point. You can return the system to stock if needed, and keep it all hidden that you did anything, since it's all behind panels anyways.

Last edited by mitch808; 02-22-2015 at 12:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 08:28 AM   #14
Ruben305
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5m

I put focal kk in the front 3 morel hybrid mid bass in the back doors morell hybrids 6.5 under the seats Jo w13 shallows 2 in the back under the lid with 2 jl he for mods and a 1200hd for baseball going through a Rockford 360.3 processor
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 08:28 AM   #15
Ruben305
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5m

Igor has a nice setup
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 08:55 PM   #16
cjbravo
Registered
Rep
Drives: X6 2014 M look

Same problems..

Hello everyone, I have a similar dilemma, this is my story, I have a x6 2014 look M, and perform a retrofit off NBT kit for E71-NBT headunit + 8.8 '' monitor + touch iDrive, and it work perfect !! I have Nav, bmw app, etc.. the only problem is the awful sound, so to fix it …….. I buy BSW Stage 1 Sound Pack changing my 10 speakers ( mid and tw center, mid/tw 2 for each door, Don’t have back pilar speakers ) and change my oem sub to Earthquake SWS-8XI Shallow Woofer System 2 Ohm 600 Watt 8 “.

The sound improved, but it sounded very low, so to fix this, I buy one Ethernet cable to OBD Interface Cable E-SYS ICOM for Coding, download the E-SYS learned to use it and probe every possible sound configuration but not yet I get good sound.

Probe with the following modes: HIFI , Stereo ( that I use today, sounds good but in hi volume is distorted a little), then top HIFI, All on the external amp mode.

My OEM amp, part number 6512 9312471 is a Lear bone HiFi System Audio Amplifier.

My million dollar question, What do I do to get better sound !!!! Can I change the amplifier with some kind of retrofit for connection…

Like I said, I already have change the speakers and Subwoofers and my CIC retrofit, so I only need the amp connection to do it … Please help me ;(.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 11:01 PM   #17
mitch808
Captain
Rep

Yes you can add an amp with some sort of basic or advanced line level converter that will have an active EQ. JL audio, Rockford, JBL, Audison, all make a solid converter. Then you will amplify your speakers. Which make a huge difference as well in overall output and dynamics
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 09:10 AM   #18
cjbravo
Registered
Rep

thanks Mitch, in your experience which is the best?

I read that a lot off people use this kit to do it http://www.amazon.com/JL-Audio-SMS-B.../dp/B00IFA3X06

Do you agree?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 10:19 AM   #19
mitch808
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbravo View Post
thanks Mitch, in your experience which is the best?

I read that a lot off people use this kit to do it http://www.amazon.com/JL-Audio-SMS-B.../dp/B00IFA3X06

Do you agree?
The great part of that kit? The brackets to mount the amps. That said, without the brackets, you can buy all of those things separately and for less. Also allowing you to pick what components you want.

The foundation to that kit is the CL-SSI piece. That takes the speaker level wires and sums them as a single audiostream and converts to an RCA output for your amps. This is the piece you can buy better or stick with this. I have this piece. It works and is solid.

Then also buy the amp you prefer or like. I have an alpine 5ch amp in mine with the Bavsound speakers.

I do love the JL Sub though, their 10" sub is pretty awesome for the X5.
      05-04-2015, 09:19 PM   #20
cjbravo
Registered
Rep

Great Advice, thank you, so the CL-SSI convert the all the speakers to a rica out put to amp.

My amp is a part number 6512 9312471 is a Lear bone HiFi System Audio Amplifier, is a 48 pin conector, maybe you have the lay out or else
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 09:41 PM   #21
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLed79 View Post
Would you mind posting a eq picture?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 12:41 PM   #22
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

I had a base stereo in my x5, 4 midrange and 2 woofers. Sounded like complete garbage. I went with a musicarnw system. 2 tweeters (didnt even have those before) 2 midrange (kept the rear midrange stock, did not replace) and 2 8" woofers under the seats with processor and amp. Sound is much much better. There's really no point in fitting so many speakers in such a small place... but bmw systems are totally overpriced and complete garbage.
Appreciate 0