XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-22-2015, 07:45 AM   #1
bmwstve
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X6, MHD Stage 2

Are wheel spacers safe at high speed?

I've seen a lot of people who are installing spacers to have that perfect wide wheel stance.

Most people have no problems, however there are some who says that these are dangerous.

So, How safe really are H&R wheel spacers on a ≈2.5 ton car at high speeds (>120mph)?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 08:41 AM   #2
Chedman13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325XI Alpine White

It all depends.

If used properly they are safe and not too extreme.

H&R makes quality spacers.

If you want to reduce your risk, you can weld the spacer onto the wheel or get a wheel that has the offset you want. This creates one less failure point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwstve View Post
I've seen a lot of people who are installing spacers to have that perfect wide wheel stance.

Most people have no problems, however there are some who says that these are dangerous.

So, How safe really are H&R wheel spacers on a ≈2.5 ton car at high speeds (>120mph)?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 10:12 AM   #3
bmwstve
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X6, MHD Stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chedman13 View Post
It all depends.

If used properly they are safe and not too extreme.

H&R makes quality spacers.

If you want to reduce your risk, you can weld the spacer onto the wheel or get a wheel that has the offset you want. This creates one less failure point.
What do you exactly mean by "used properly"?
Do H&R wheel spacers have a speed rating?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 12:50 PM   #4
Chedman13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325XI Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwstve View Post
What do you exactly mean by "used properly"?
Do H&R wheel spacers have a speed rating?
H&R has two types for the BMW:

DR = bolt go through and you use longer bolts
DRA = spacer bolts onto the hub itself, and you use another set of bolts to bolt the wheel to the spacer

H&R's DR longer bolts are strong enough to withstand the extra force to not break under normal use. I don't know the exact specs but you can call them. They would have a bill lawsuit if they weren't strong.

It's not so much speed rating, more so hitting your wheel or exerting forces onto the bolts that would cause it to fail.

With spacers, you're moving the wheel farther from the hub, thus increases these forces. You do the same with large offsets that move the wheel farther away as well - except it's one solid piece and not an extra "spacer".

DRA - you are locking the spacer to the hub, and the wheel to the spacer - more secure, but also more places for it to fail.

So using them properly - I mean to ensure that you use hub centric and wheel centric spacers (H&R will be for oem wheels and oem spec hub wheels) and properly torque the bolts.

If you use DRA - you need to take it over after 1,000 or so miles, re-torque the spacer to the hub (it can loosen) and then do it again around 5,000 to be on the safe side. Not many do this, but I do with a torque wrench and the ft/lbs are off for a few every time.

Some tire places don't want to even deal with spacers since they think it'd be a liability to them so won't touch cars with spacers on.

I've run spacers and never had any issue or feel unsafe. My current set is on Brabus wheels, but the spacer is made for the wheel and bolts onto the wheel itself.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 02:14 PM   #5
larryv
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP 11X5 M Sport 20 I3

I have the 25mm DRA H&R wheel spacers on a X5 and no problems. I have used wheels spacers on many of my cars with no problems. As for high speeds i cannot answer that.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 02:56 PM   #6
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
As long as you find a quality spacer that is of the correct specs, hubcentric with appropriate extended lug bolts (if necessary), you shouldn't have any issues. I know of plenty of high powered vehicles (GTR etc) that use spacers on the track.. and without failure.