XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-20-2017, 06:21 AM   #1
GoHokiesGo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Lower mileage 2010 X5M vs higher mileage 2012-13 X5M

I've been searching for the right X5M for a while now, but obviously you don't come across too many with the production numbers being so limited for them.

This has probably been beaten to death before in the past, but I'll ask again anyways for opinions. Would you prefer-
  1. 2010 X5M with lower mileage ~40-50k
  2. 2012-13 X5M with higher mileage ~70k+

Normally people say to go for the newest model year; however, I'm only going to be putting ~4-5k miles/yr on the car, so the difference between say 40 and 70k miles is nearly 6 years worth of driving for me.

Outside of the LCI headlights update, were there any other significant changes in regards to reliability between 2010 and 2011+ E70M models? Have people learned anything new now that most of the E70 models are beyond their extended warranties? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a 2010 X5M after awhile looking, but I'm suddenly getting cold feet considering its already a 7 year old truck.

Any words of wisdom from the community?

JP Photography - Travel/Landscape/Automotive Photography
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 07:48 AM   #2
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

I’m relatively new hear so I’m sure others can chime in with more info. I just picked up a 2011 X5M with the initial intention of getting a 2012. I went with the 2011 because it had the color combo and options that I wanted. I didn’t think the interior and some options were important to me until I test drove an X5M with very little options and non-extended leather interior. That said finding what you want in options and color (and of course price) may narrow down which one is best for you. Unfortunately there’s not as many X5Ms for sale compared to regular X5s.
The one option that I know is different 2010 and 2012 is the Bluetooth streaming. I believe that was available for X5Ms that were produced on or after 9/2010 (2011 models)
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 09:31 AM   #3
frankenm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12' X5M, 99 M3

I was in the same boat as you in regards to years I went with the 2012 because they were supposed to have some upgraded parts and issues addressed I didn't want to deal with. Turns out it didn't matter and I needed to replace those parts anyway and could have saved myself a few K on buying an earlier year model.

My advice is get a PPI and the main things to check for is

- The index # on the injectors should be 12 - If it is lower they will fail and it is only a matter of time.
- The driveshaft recall has been performed - I wouldn't purchase one that hasn't had this done, you can search the forums for the aftermath of these things exploding.
- Crankshaft vent lines have been replaced.

The only thing you will be really missing out on year wise is the 2013 with the LED headlights ... something I didn't even realize until month's after I bought mine.

Honestly in terms of mileage it really depends on how long you plan on keeping and for what purpose, are you going to sell it in a few years? Then go with lower mileage in a higher year, if your keeping the truck then get whatever you can with the best options and color combo regardless of mileage ... I bought mine with roughly 60k have 100k on it now and it still pulls harder than ever - I'm keeping mine for life and waited until I found the exact truck I wanted.

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #4
gan23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M '18 XM’23 X5 50e 24

Cut and paste from my post at
https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...out-years.html

North America Production numbers from X5 M production #'s http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918774
2009 - 4
2010 - 1063
2011 - 1109
2012 - 869
2013 - 1084

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...post-51-a.html

As of 7/09 production
First model year if we discard the 4 vehicles made in 2009.

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...mw-my2011.html
http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...x5-m-x6-m.html

As of 4/10 production:
Both models
• Brake Energy Regeneration
• Dynamic Led Brake lights
• Side-view cameras available as stand-alone option
• Speed limit info for various markets
• Premium Sound Package replaces DVD changer with Satellite Radio
• Extensive revision of options/ availability strategy (ex: floor mats, velours)
• Three features become Priority 1 options:

Head-up Display,
Rear Seat Entertainment and
iPod/USB Adapter
X5 M only
• New “glowing bars” LED taillights
• Opening angle of rear doors increased for easier entry and egress

As of 9/10 production:
Both models
• iPod/USB Adapter with refinements and new functionality:
• No longer includes Y-cable; iPod connects directly to vehicle audio system via USB port
• Album cover can be seen in iDrive display if contained in song’s metadata
• Voice Command (included with standard Navigation system) can be used to control external devices and select their program material
• Bluetooth adds functionality:
• Mobile-office integration of BlackBerry smartphone gives access to e-mail, text messages and notes through iDrive system
• Re-dial and received-calls lists download each time mobile device is connected and after each call
• Bluetooth music streaming from mobile device, controllable through iDrive

As of 4/11 production:
Both models
• iPod/USB Adapter added as standard equipment
• BMW Apps newly available
• In Premium Sound Package, former iPod/USB Adapter is deleted and BMW Apps is required
• Priority 1 options 1 revised;
now Head-up Display, Satellite Radio
X5 only
• Power liftgate added as standard equipment
X6 only
• 5-seater option newly available

As of 4/12 production:
Both models
• Optional Full LED headlights
• Blue-painted brake calipers
• Both wheel designs now available on both models (formerly each design was exclusive to one model)
• Standard Multi-Contour front seats
• Optional Full Merino leather interior: Mugello Red replaces Sakir Orange as one of five available color schemes
X6 M only
• Revised front end with wider grille + newly sculpted slats
• Aluminum hood with prominent “power dome”
• Newly designed LED taillights

Individual options available

Sources:
BMW M Registry - FAQ E70 X5 M
Fast Facts from BMW University from 2010 to 2013

Pick the year that best suits what you want

Last edited by gan23; 07-21-2017 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: Fix link
Appreciate 1
jiggz2139.50
      07-20-2017, 01:12 PM   #5
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

gan23-> NICE!

I must now run home and open my wife's doors and my doors and check the difference in opening angle.

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 06:40 PM   #6
gan23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M '18 XM’23 X5 50e 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
gan23-> NICE!

I must now run home and open my wife's doors and my doors and check the difference in opening angle.
Hehe sure.
I always wanted to know if there was a meaningful difference in the opening angle
Appreciate 1
perry8912101.00
      07-20-2017, 09:43 PM   #7
GoHokiesGo
Private
United_States
Rep

Awesome info - I had seen the production numbers previously, but not the detailed breakdown of changes by production date.

My plans are to keep the truck as a longer term vehicle, but I do always appreciate lower mileage in my vehicle too. While the 2013 LED headlights look pretty slick, I'm not sure it's worth the price increase for my needs.

I pulled the trigger on getting a PPI done on the 2010 M that I found, so hopefully all goes well and I'll have it in the garage soon! It's pretty well loaded across the board and will make a nice SUV that doesn't make me miss a sports car!

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 11:06 PM   #8
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gan23 View Post
Hehe sure.
I always wanted to know if there was a meaningful difference in the opening angle
No Way!!! I just measured latch to lock on both cars...32" on the wife's car and 34" on my car! I'm genuinely excited about this lol

2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 06:53 AM   #9
GoHokiesGo
Private
United_States
Rep

For a semi-related question, are mods mostly interchangeable between the S63 and S63tu?

I have a lot of reading still, but it seems like the primary difference between the newer engine is the turbos and exhaust manifold. Items like upgraded Pure turbos are made for multiple platforms with the N/S63 tu's, so it made me think that the block and several mechanical mods would be interchangeable across platforms. Obviously tunes and electronics might be different, but are piping, exhaust, etc the same for E70 and the newer F85 engines?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 09:33 AM   #10
GoHokiesGo
Private
United_States
Rep

Has anyone had the oil pan gasket replaced on their X5M? The PPI came back with that as the largest among several small issues (oil pan gasket, cowl panels, sway bar linkage, and battery need replacing), but the dealer quoted $2500 to replace the pan gasket! I know it's the dealership, but even that seems excessive. Some research shows the pan is multiple parts, instead of the simple old fashioned easy one. Is this a simple DIY or is it a pretty complex undertaking due to nearby components?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 12:46 PM   #11
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo View Post
Has anyone had the oil pan gasket replaced on their X5M? The PPI came back with that as the largest among several small issues (oil pan gasket, cowl panels, sway bar linkage, and battery need replacing), but the dealer quoted $2500 to replace the pan gasket! I know it's the dealership, but even that seems excessive. Some research shows the pan is multiple parts, instead of the simple old fashioned easy one. Is this a simple DIY or is it a pretty complex undertaking due to nearby components?
It's a very difficult DIY. I did my wife's 3.0si and took me over 24 work hours...but I didn't have a manual and tried to skip some steps. The 3.0si pan is in one part and you have to drop the whole assembly down to replace that gasket. The X5M S63 is in two parts. The lower pan gasket is too easy for a DIY since it's in plain sight. The upper pan is difficult because the front axle goes through the pan and the differential is bolted to the pan. This means that to do it correctly, you need to remove your wheels, hubs, pull the axles on both sides, pull off the differential, lower the subframe, lower the steering rack, and then pull off the upper oil pan. I'm guessing the gasket is only $30-50, but the work is enourmous. If you need to replace the upper gasket I'd look at fixing some other stuff at the same time since you're burning so much labor...like replacing the axles also for PM, diff fluid, wheel bearings/hubs. Either way, it's big money.

This is my DIY story from the wife's car: it's a different engine obviously but the same basic steps to do the upper pan gasket on the X5M:
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1345269

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 02:53 PM   #12
frankenm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12' X5M, 99 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
It's a very difficult DIY. I did my wife's 3.0si and took me over 24 work hours...but I didn't have a manual and tried to skip some steps. The 3.0si pan is in one part and you have to drop the whole assembly down to replace that gasket. The X5M S63 is in two parts. The lower pan gasket is too easy for a DIY since it's in plain sight. The upper pan is difficult because the front axle goes through the pan and the differential is bolted to the pan. This means that to do it correctly, you need to remove your wheels, hubs, pull the axles on both sides, pull off the differential, lower the subframe, lower the steering rack, and then pull off the upper oil pan. I'm guessing the gasket is only $30-50, but the work is enourmous. If you need to replace the upper gasket I'd look at fixing some other stuff at the same time since you're burning so much labor...like replacing the axles also for PM, diff fluid, wheel bearings/hubs. Either way, it's big money.

This is my DIY story from the wife's car: it's a different engine obviously but the same basic steps to do the upper pan gasket on the X5M:
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1345269
This ...

It is seriously a huge amount of work for just one gasket - I'm waiting until I collect more parts and tools and can have the time so I can have the truck apart and not worry about it going back together in a rush.

I planned on doing it a few saturdays back and when I checked Rheingold for the instructions I proceeded to just close the laptop and call it a day.

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 07:59 AM   #13
GoHokiesGo
Private
United_States
Rep

Well shoot - they don't make it easy do they! I talked to my Indy shop and he said it's a rather involved job that you all described, but that they could do it for more like $16-1800; he was also skeptical that it really would be worth changing if its something minor. He was familiar with the M models, and is going to walk me through the vehicle on a lift after it arrives to see what we should tackle.

I got the used car dealer to knock that off the top of the price, so I have that cash already ear-marked and expecting that maintenance out the gates; I'll see what else makes sense to do while digging that far into the truck.

I ended up purchasing the 2010 X5M, so we'll see how the story begins once it gets shipped out in a couple weeks! Stay tuned for the "Help! It's all broken!" thread in a few weeks Seriously though, I'm really excited about the truck.

Last edited by GoHokiesGo; 07-28-2017 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 0