XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
pickle311
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Considering purchasing a X5 35d

I'm looking at a 2011 X5 35d with 30k miles on it. The truck appears to be in excellent condition and mechanically sound from what I can see. With only 30k miles, it's still under the factory warranty to 50k.
It's not a CPO and the dealer I'm working with isn't a BMW dealer. Is this something I should be concerned with? Also, can I still buy the BMW 100k mile warranty since its not a CPO?

I'm very specific with what I'm looking for and that's making it difficult to find what I want, especially locally. I want a 2010 or newer X5 35d preferably jet black with black interior, or I'd settle for Alpine white. Don't really want white though since 3 of my last 4 vehicles have been white.
Must have less than 40k miles as well.

I'm not finding anything that meets my criteria in Austin. BMW of Austin has a white one that's in great condition, but they didn't want to work on the price. Plus they have it almost $10k more than comparable X5s in Houston and Dallas.

Right now, a dealer in Dallas has exactly what I'm looking for so I'm going to call them Tuesday and get all the info I need on it and ensure we can work a deal before making the 3 hour drive.

Any suggestions on what to look for and what to avoid? This will be my first BMW.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Be careful buying fresh BMWs from non-bmw dealers, quite a few stories of accident damage discovered later, for some reason often from TX. Not saying all of them are bad, but typically good cars don't go to auctions unless unpopular colors/options.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
pickle311
Rep

The carfax is clean on this one and shows that it's a lease return. I'm sure there are things that can slip past and not get reported though.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
civicrtype1
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5

Did you try San Antonio BMW?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
pickle311
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicrtype1 View Post
Did you try San Antonio BMW?
Yes, they have nothing right now
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
civicrtype1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle311 View Post
Yes, they have nothing right now
I just picked one up from them yesterday. They have 3 diesels in their lot that haven't been through inspection yet.

Edit* They have a Black one I know for sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 11:02 PM   #7
pickle311
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicrtype1 View Post
I just picked one up from them yesterday. They have 3 diesels in their lot that haven't been through inspection yet.

Edit* They have a Black one I know for sure.

Thanks, I'll call them tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #8
pickle311
Rep

Called them this morning and the salesman said they had a black one. He then called me back and said it had just been sold at auction. I just missed out on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
U235
23 BMW X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Pole*

Quote:
I'm looking at a 2011 X5 35d with 30k miles on it. The truck appears to be in excellent condition and mechanically sound from what I can see. With only 30k miles, it's still under the factory warranty to 50k.
It's not a CPO and the dealer I'm working with isn't a BMW dealer. Is this something I should be concerned with? Also, can I still buy the BMW 100k mile warranty since its not a CPO?

I'm very specific with what I'm looking for and that's making it difficult to find what I want, especially locally. I want a 2010 or newer X5 35d preferably jet black with black interior, or I'd settle for Alpine white. Don't really want white though since 3 of my last 4 vehicles have been white.
Must have less than 40k miles as well.

I'm not finding anything that meets my criteria in Austin. BMW of Austin has a white one that's in great condition, but they didn't want to work on the price. Plus they have it almost $10k more than comparable X5s in Houston and Dallas.

Right now, a dealer in Dallas has exactly what I'm looking for so I'm going to call them Tuesday and get all the info I need on it and ensure we can work a deal before making the 3 hour drive.

Any suggestions on what to look for and what to avoid? This will be my first BMW.

TIA
I've got an 09 X5 35d, Alpine White, and I'm in Austin as well. I'm looking to get a newer X5 35i. The BMW dealer here is pretty outrageous with their prices. I've tried to buy several cars over the past decade from them, and I've never been able to. New and used, they're just out of their minds. The white x5 35i they have listed for $54,900 (not even certified) is at least $5k over priced, and when I told them I was about to drive to Houston to get the same car which was listed at $48k, they still wouldn't lower the price any. Regrettably the Houston one sold the day before we were heading out there.

I bought my X5 at Apple Sport Imports, their prices weren't the best, but I really wanted a Diesel with Adaptive Drive and they had one. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a BMW from another dealer, in fact I think you almost have to. The Austin BMW dealer just seems out of control on their pricing.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #10
pickle311
Rep

I agree, their prices are very high and they aren't willing to come off of it. They have a 2011 alpine white 35d with 30k miles. The sticker on it is $56,900 but they have it listed online for $52,900. It doesn't have navigation or the backup camera either.
I told them I found a black on in Dallas, same mileage, same year, has nav and backup camera plus every other option theirs has and it's $42,500.
Odds are, I'll be driving to Dallas or Houston Saturday to buy one.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #11
U235
23 BMW X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Pole*

Quote:
I agree, their prices are very high and they aren't willing to come off of it. They have a 2011 alpine white 35d with 30k miles. The sticker on it is $56,900 but they have it listed online for $52,900. It doesn't have navigation or the backup camera either.
I told them I found a black on in Dallas, same mileage, same year, has nav and backup camera plus every other option theirs has and it's $42,500.
Odds are, I'll be driving to Dallas or Houston Saturday to buy one.
Good luck with your trip. I just explored a lease with BMW of Austin again, thinking the $599 national X5-SAV deal was a good enough starting point. He confirmed they'd work the same deal and just add the additional cost of a differently optioned product.

After an unnecessary amount of back and forth where there numbers weren't making any sense to me, I finally got them to confirm they're marking up Money Factor by .0004 points, the maximum allowed by BMW. They won't budget on the money factor, stating it's the only way they make any money on leases. They would never give me the raw numbers, always the post-tax payment amount stating my tax calculation was wrong, this or that. A lot of gamesmanship I thought.

It's rubbish, I'm now 0/3 buying a car from BMW of Austin. The past 2 of those times I failed, I ended up with another car from another dealer within 30 days, so I'm not wasting their time. It must be nice to be the only BMW dealer in town, now whenever I see a BMW in Austin with any indication (license plate frame) that they got it from BMW of Austin, I just know they're an idiot and left thousands on the table.

I'm to the point that I can't even try them anymore. They had one used one which was interesting, but it appears to have sold, likely for way too much.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 01:13 AM   #12
civicrtype1
Rep

They've got 6-9 diesels in San Antonio. CLmall and ask for Vanessa
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #13
pickle311
Rep

I picked one up yesterday from Advantage BMW in Houston.

Thanks
Appreciate 0