XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

01-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
Maxi_for_Life
Mister
Romania
Rep
Drives: Bmw x6 3.5xd Bmw X5 G05

bmw x5 x5 E71 E70 CIC Retrofit

Hello, I want to share with you my experience was with http://www.bmwretrofit.com/. My car is a BMW X6 (E71) of 2009 which unfortunately I had the factory installed CCC system.
I saw in a friend car (BMW X5 E70) the CIC new system that I was very impressed.
BMW dealer did not want to do a retrofit for CIC and so I chose to do this alone.
I searched the internet and I came across the guys at http://www.bmwretrofit.com
I buy the kit from them (is the same for E70) and received in 3 weeks (i am from Romania).
I managed to order from the dealer the rest of the parts i needed and i installed the new CIC in the car .
The guys send me all the info i need for a primary installation.
In the first 10 minutes i wanted back my old CCC.
After 10 minutes i saw that the new CIC is AWESOME and wanted to have all the systems working!! I asked for the coding.
Alex do the coding for my car. He is not so communicative like Vlad but he do the job via internet in the end, after we have some problems with my laptop.

The problems i have after the installation and coding are:

1. Voice control (option 600$) is in German.

2.The PDC don't work. You need to put aditional 2 sets of 8 wires in the car. This come from the back in the front of the car.You need to order a new part JBE BOX (the kit from bmwretrofit.com don't include that) and cut some wires from the trunk.The old pdc module is not good anymore. Guys said that PDC will work after another coding of the new JBE BOX.

3.Back up Camera also don't work. They say will work after coding the new JBE BOx. Will see...

4. The last problem i have is i can't communicate with the guys like we communicate before (before i buy the kit)
They use a skype account and email. Via email is ok the reply come very fast (about 2-3 hours). Because i am from Europe i have a GMT +2 and they have GMT -5. There is a 7 hour difference.
Every time when i ask for help i do the things in the night in my location.This is not a problem but after you chat something via skype and stay in the car about 1 hour for a reply the thing become annoying.
I know they have many costumers but everybody need the same respect.
Now i have scheduled (with Vlad) a coding for Monday 11.01.2011. Hope i can do the install of the wires (PDC) and JBE Box till then.

Hope this is helping you if you want to do the retrofit. I communicate here the progress of my installation!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

I always like DIY sites so thanks for mentioning this one. I don't think I could take on what you are doing and I am impressed you decided to tackle it. If you have time post some pictures.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 02:33 AM   #3
audioquest
2nd to None!
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M8 GC, M5 30Jahre, X6 50i

Garage List
Great information, I am looking into this product too. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #4
dannym
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 640d M Sport

Great info, I'm about to perform the very same install but you are ahead of me with your progress. I have the HD CID screen and new controller, the base unit I received was a US spec HD satellite unit which is no good in europe so I've returned that for a normal euro one hopefully with DAB and euro maps installed on the hard drive.

The cables for the screen and usb port are ordered from my local BMW dealer and should be here next week along with the dash trim piece for around the radio controls.

I've been trying to find out about the PDC system and rear camera, I was told the sound will still work but no graphics on the screen but if you swap the jbe module it will be fine. Then I was told swap the box and a few cables, I was not told replace the whole cable set! So very interested to see how you get on with that bit.

I have no more info on the rear camera only that the newer hi res version is needed.

Did you go for the OEM map activation or the hardware emulator way?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 03:48 AM   #5
easyGoom
Registered
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 5.0

@Cornekus & Dannym: Any update on your progress with the retrofit? I mean, did you get everything to work now? PDC? NAV? Voicecontrol?

I'm very tempted to buy the kit as well, but I wasn't aware of swapping other boxes then the CIC alone; also it wasn't mention that you loose the backup camera and your pdc.

So in the end, I'd only start it if I know I can fix these things, so an update would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
dannym
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyGoom View Post
@Cornekus & Dannym: Any update on your progress with the retrofit? I mean, did you get everything to work now? PDC? NAV? Voicecontrol?

I'm very tempted to buy the kit as well, but I wasn't aware of swapping other boxes then the CIC alone; also it wasn't mention that you loose the backup camera and your pdc.

So in the end, I'd only start it if I know I can fix these things, so an update would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
I have the hd cid screen and main cic unit fitted and fully working. I've not fitted the new style controller yet as I'm waiting for a trim part from BMW.
I fitted the USB port in the glovebox for uploading MP3's to the harddrive.

My PDC is still working, well you still hear the audio bleeps but the on screen graphics are not there. It will fully work once the JBE module is replaced and the sensors are wired to it and a bit of coding. It's on my list of things to do.

I believe to get the rear view camera working you need to fit the camera from 2011 X6/X5 with cic. Thats also on my list of things to do as is the combox.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
Dunzzy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435Xd White

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannym View Post
I have the hd cid screen and main cic unit fitted and fully working. I've not fitted the new style controller yet as I'm waiting for a trim part from BMW.
I fitted the USB port in the glovebox for uploading MP3's to the harddrive.

My PDC is still working, well you still hear the audio bleeps but the on screen graphics are not there. It will fully work once the JBE module is replaced and the sensors are wired to it and a bit of coding. It's on my list of things to do.

I believe to get the rear view camera working you need to fit the camera from 2011 X6/X5 with cic. Thats also on my list of things to do as is the combox.
Please keep us all posted with your progress I am particularly keen on a combos retrofit especially how to keep the Uk telematics working
Good luck with the rest of the project
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
dannym
Private First Class
Rep

Fitted the new iDrive controller tonight after picking up the trim piece this morning. All working great.
Appreciate 0