XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-31-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Need help with e70 LCI trailer hitch wiring installation

2011 X5 50i: OE trailer hitch installation.

My car has Comfort Access and PDC.

Got the bumper removed (broke a few tabs in the process ...), massive trailer hitch bolted in place and started the wiring harness installation ... that is when the fun started ...

Instructions say to use the new trailer hitch wiring harness connector to connect to the Comfort Access antenna (p. 10 and p. 12).

But what about the PDC? In my case the cars original harness has BOTH the CA and the PDC wrapped together and exiting the car through a single rubber grommet (see pic).

Do I separate the two and route CA wire back into the car? That would mean that I have to unwrap the original wiring harness, separate out the CA wire and push back through the rubber body grommet ... Can't imagine that BMW intended it to be this way ...
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Trailer Hitch Kit installation - LCI Aug 2010.pdf (724.9 KB, 1728 views)

Last edited by PAX5; 09-01-2013 at 06:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 03:19 AM   #2
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

I just did this on my 2012 x5d....
and I am soooo dissapointed with this BMW OE retrofit installation.
This seems like an after thought.

- The dealer wants $2000 installed for this with the electric brake controller
- You have to remove the bumper and wire the car through the chassis with diagrams that do not apply to all options such as PDC and CA
- You have to cut the rear bumper so the hitch and connector are accessible ....with a recommended SAWZALL = WTF??
- If you need an electric brake controller (like I do) you have to remove interior panels of this car and retrofit wiring through the interior to the cupholder per BMW's instructions.

I can't believe this is what it takes to allow this car to tow a trailer...BMW should be embarrassed and eventually sued for this kind of afterthought on what comparable models from Audi, VW, Porsche, Mercedes offer as a factory option for less then the ridiculous, body mangling and electrical rewiring retrofit that they offer as a dealer only installed, after-sales option.

This has been the biggest and only dissapointment on this car so far.
Otherwise, it pulls great.
Appreciate 0