XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
dsmith
David Toronto
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2002 X5 4.4L

X5 Won't Start - Security / Key Issue ?

I have a 2002 X5 4.4L. In January, it would not start. I towed it to my non-BMW mechanic who said the computer indicated the car was ready to start, but it could not detect a valid key. The battery was fully charged, but it would not turn over (starter solenoid and cables from battery were fine). Mysteriously, the car started a day or two later.

A month later, my car completely shut down while I was driving. The engine stopped running, but again the battery was fine. This time I towed it to the BMW dealership where I bought it. They could not figure out the issue.

There also seems to be a battery drain. Both mechanics had to charge the battery a couple of times over the course of a few days. The battery is less than a year old. Over the last few years, the batteries frequently went dead after a week or two of not driving it (when I was traveling). A couple of days later, the car just started like normal.

The BMW dealership doesn't have a clue what is wrong with it and I am not sure if they seem motivated to find out.

Can anyone point me in a direction? It would be greatly appreciated. It is cold hear in Toronto and I don't want to break down an hour away from home with my kids in the car.

Thank you.
David from Toronto
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 04:03 AM   #2
Weeksy
Registered
Rep
Drives: N/A

Got a spare key that you could try?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
dsmith
David Toronto
Canada
Rep

I do have another key, but neither key seems to be an issue according to the Mechanics.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
alpineweiss300
Banned
Rep
Drives: hardcore E92 white on black

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith View Post
I do have another key, but neither key seems to be an issue according to the Mechanics.
That is so strange. Feel bad for you man!

The battery you have installed? is that BMW of aftermarket?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
dsmith
David Toronto
Canada
Rep

Problem fixed! It turns out there was a significant buildup of corrosion on the connectors/terminals where the electrical cables from the battery terminate at the starter solenoid and alternator. My local non-BMW Bimmer auto shop just cleaned the terminals and charged me $150. It has been about 6 weeks, so I am pretty sure it is fixed. The battery always died when I went away for a week, which didn't happen when I went away for a week last month.

If you happen to live in the Toronto area, it was Bimmersport Automotive that fixed the problem (Mississauga). It's the only time I have every used them, but they seemed great.
Appreciate 0