XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-22-2022, 02:33 PM   #1
XDriver23
Rep
Drives: BMX X5

Drivers side door speakers problem

Hi!
I’m new here!
I’m driving BMW X5 2010.
I’ve been having this problem for a while now. My drivers side speakers aren’t working. Yes, both of them. I tried redirecting the sound only to those speakers through the settings and they were not making any sound. Really don’t think they are blown because there’s just no sound. I was going to take off door panel and look in there but decided to give a shot on here first. Every other speaker around the car works perfectly fine. I really hope you guys can help me because you are my last hope!
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 07:12 PM   #2
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

IF it were the Individual Audio System you might first suspect the diplexer (bmw crossover) which is only in the front door panels.

I believe for most audio systems in the front doors there is a source wire that plugs into your midrange. The tweeter plugs into the midrange to get signal. I think even some midranges have a capacitor that filters high frequency as it's passed to the tweeter or maybe the filter is for the midrange and the tweeter has an inline filter/capacitor.

It's possible the source wire connector is broken and thus compromising the signal alltogether. I recently had my rear door lock actuators replaced. I asked them not to install the door panels b/c I was working on my audio system. When I went to install the door panels the source wire connector was broken and crumbled. Heavy handed tech snapped the connector upon removal. Worth checking.

Less likely but possible the midrange is so compromised the signal isn't carried to either speaker.

If none of the above, then go back to your amp (hopefully that's not the issue). That's all I've got, I hope someone has more to share...

Just double checking, but no sound at all in any media selection?
      02-24-2022, 11:49 AM   #3
XDriver23
Rep

So I took off my door panel and everything seems perfect. No corrosion or damaged wiring. There’s something that surprised me. The small speaker that is by the window (not sure what it’s called) was actually not a speaker. Theres like a grid that all the speakers have but there was insulation and no speaker. Maybe it was meant so you install speaker if you want. So now we have only one speaker that is not working. I couldn’t really check if it was broken because I couldn’t even unplug it. But it looks fine if you look at it. Membrane is fine as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 12:13 PM   #4
argento
Captain
Rep

Upload pix...

You may want to connect that midrange speaker into the passenger door side to confirm it works...
      03-06-2022, 08:58 PM   #5
allenm324
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Space Gray MT M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Take the speaker from the passenger side and plug it into the drivers side.
      03-31-2022, 08:11 PM   #6
XDriver23
Rep

Okay. It’s been a while. However, I’ve made some progress but probably still remains unsolved. I tried switching speakers and turns out it’s not even a speaker. It’s something else because I tried plugging in speaker from another door and it’s still not working. Any other ideas what can it be? Maybe there’s a fuse that is responsible for it?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 08:43 PM   #7
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

What does this mean, can you be more clear pls? "It’s something else because I tried plugging in speaker from another door and it’s still not working."
We really need pictures.

If you have no speaker in the tweeter, and "something other than a speaker" in the midrange slot, how did they EVER work?
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 10:02 PM   #8
XDriver23
Rep

I used the speaker from the left door and plugged it in into the right door to see if maybe it’s the problem with the speaker or the wiring or something else. It was not working either so it’s not the problem with the speaker. It’s something else that I’m not sure what. I cannot upload pictures now because it’s late at night. Sorry for being not clear enough
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 10:05 PM   #9
XDriver23
Rep

Oh and yeah I don’t have tweeters for some reason. It’s just foam and no speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 09:01 AM   #10
argento
Captain
Rep

Sorry, I don't understand. You said the left speaker (driver side) not working, but the right side (pass side) speaker was working. So you took the left speaker and plugged into the right side and now there is no sound on the right side? That would indicate the left speaker has an issue. Now you take the 'good' speaker from the right side and plug it into the left side. If there is sound, then it's back to the left speaker. If no sound, then it's upstream...
      04-01-2022, 10:47 AM   #11
XDriver23
Rep

Oh crap I’m sorry. This is embarrassing. I meant right speaker into the left door where speaker was not working. I’m so sorry
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 01:17 PM   #12
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Sounds like you need a whole set of new speakers!
Do you know what stereo package was built into your vehicle? You can check your build with the VIN... I'm wondering if it was a basic stereo that had less speakers to begin with, or if someone took them out. Are there wires/connectors hanging in the empty areas that look like the ones connected to the speakers that do exist?

Before you go buy speakers on my suggestion, make sure your head unit will power them when you hook them up. I think the heads must be different for each stereo package they sell...
Or maybe go to an audio shop familiar with BMWs.
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star

Last edited by heatmizr; 04-12-2022 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 12:32 PM   #13
clueless69
Rep
Drives: BMW E28 528i BMW X5M

do they work before if not check back of the unit it maybe not connected properly.i had problem with subwoofers under the front seat when i bought a car was only high pitch no bos whatsoever after 2 years listening crapy sound (mostly news) damn that V8 engine sound ! better then radio i find picture on the internet by accident vent to look under the seat wow broken wires on both sides inside the speakers so i bought used x6 Harman/Kardon.speakers and guess what there are no hanging wires inside the speakers they intergraded now i have premium beautiful sound every damn day lol
Appreciate 0