XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
///Machine
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 / '11 X5d

X5 Navigation System Guidance Quality

Is it just me or there are other owners mad at their sat navs as you get directions to drive in zig-zags as opposed to a straight line?

Sometimes it feels like NY to FL via California, or Munich to London via Madrid - you get the picture...

At times I feel cheated by the poor quality of the BMW sat nav guidance algorithm. The system looks nice and fancy but the quality of directions is less than appropriate for what we pay. I never had this problem with my Garmin before. I could go back to that, but it defeats the purpose...

Are there any software updates to improve the algorithm?
Does anyone have any comments?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
ek1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJA///M3 View Post
Is it just me or there are other owners mad at their sat navs as you get directions to drive in zig-zags as opposed to a straight line?

Sometimes it feels like NY to FL via California, or Munich to London via Madrid - you get the picture...

At times I feel cheated by the poor quality of the BMW sat nav guidance algorithm. The system looks nice and fancy but the quality of directions is less than appropriate for what we pay. I never had this problem with my Garmin before. I could go back to that, but it defeats the purpose...

Are there any software updates to improve the algorithm?
Does anyone have any comments?
I get this on a regular basis. I would be traveling on a street and my destination would be a block away on the same street. Instead of telling me to go straight, the system would tell me to make a right turn a block before, then a left turn, then another left turn. I think the nav does not really know which direction the traffic is going on a particular street, so it creates detours.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
baby huey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

I have a old portable Garmin Nuvi in my other car.
Software has never been upgraded, but it's 100% more reliable when it comes to selecting a direct route.
Don't know who BMW uses, but the quality is inconsistent with the rest of the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

1. Make sure you have your Route Preference setup correctly. My delivery expert (the one who thought my car came with non run-flats since I had the spare) told me to always set it on Efficient Route. That was taking me all over the place. I think I'm now on Short route or Fast route (wife took the beast so I can't check). Still...
2. BMW NAV is terrible. I can't even get an address entered - it always wants to move/put me in a different city. I would say it has completely failed me the last 3 or 4 times I tried.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
Legitimate
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: DEATH TO NlGGERS

Had this problem. Default setting is FASTEST ROUTE or something like that. Make sure you select SHORTEST ROUTE and enable DYNAMIC GUIDANCE. Fixed it for me.

I think the only problem for me in regards to the Nav would be address entry is extremely cumbersome and distracting, and the labeling of streets is terrible. It labels minor streets that no one looks for but never labels the major streets which they even have colored yellow.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
///Machine
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ek1 View Post
Instead of telling me to go straight, the system would tell me to make a right turn a block before, then a left turn, then another left turn.
That's exactly my issue, it does that in places I know, and I already found myself driving in circles in places I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby huey View Post
Don't know who BMW uses, but the quality is inconsistent with the rest of the car.
I totally agree, and don't get me wrong, I am a total guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
1. Make sure you have your Route Preference setup correctly. My delivery expert (the one who thought my car came with non run-flats since I had the spare) told me to always set it on Efficient Route. That was taking me all over the place. I think I'm now on Short route or Fast route (wife took the beast so I can't check). Still...
2. BMW NAV is terrible. I can't even get an address entered - it always wants to move/put me in a different city. I would say it has completely failed me the last 3 or 4 times I tried.
I have mine on FASTEST, I tried EFFICIENT before and it was a joke
Oh, and another thing that bothers me is the counter-intuitiveness of the zoom-in and -out. Rotate knob right SHOULD zoom IN (like a screw) and not the other way around. Gets me ALL THE TIME!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legitimate View Post
Had this problem. Default setting is FASTEST ROUTE or something like that. Make sure you select SHORTEST ROUTE and enable DYNAMIC GUIDANCE. Fixed it for me.
I will read the manual about the DYNAMIC GUIDANCE. Thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJA///M3 View Post
Oh, and another thing that bothers me is the counter-intuitiveness of the zoom-in and -out. Rotate knob right SHOULD zoom IN (like a screw) and not the other way around. Gets me ALL THE TIME!!
Yep, me too! I think I figured it out.... From the passenger seat, it is intuitive. So they must have made it for the passenger to use (or right hand drive markets )
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 05:59 AM   #8
vitaman
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

A $29.95 app on an iPad will blow it away in Efficient, Short or Fast!
I would be embarrassed if I was BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #9
///Machine
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I am embarassed all the time (with wife and kids) as I drive in circles around town (unknown town, that is). The thing is the nav does keep the resale value of your car high (if you own it), so I wouldn't dare ordering without it...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #10
D.B.S
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 35i / '13 S5

My Motorola Photon's GPS is better than my BMW's... But... Yeah, I hate driving down I-87 (or up) and it wants me to go across one bridge to go to another Interstate that eventually ties into I-87 anyway, or if I'm going to i-95 and it wants me to go elsewhere just to merge back onto I-95 later on... It's pretty pathetic, my Photon does a better job at guiding me...

BMW X5 35i: Boopie Exhaust & Intercooler, K&N Drop in Filter, JB3 (3+ psi)
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Custom Exhaust, Headers, 87MM Throttle Body, Diablo Custom 93 OCT Tune
Appreciate 0