XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
Geepx5
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

Thoughts on X5 4.8i

Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a used x5, and just wanted some input on the 4.8i. Wanted the extra power, but I'm concerned with the ride comfort of the sports package option. Any input or suggestions would be much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
spaniard
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X6M

for extra power you need Upgraded Air Filter, Free-flow exhaust and an ECU tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
brian5
Shoot for the moon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geepx5 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a used x5, and just wanted some input on the 4.8i. Wanted the extra power, but I'm concerned with the ride comfort of the sports package option. Any input or suggestions would be much appreciated
I have never regretted getting the 4.8i with sports package. I really like the ride and the handling.

The seating is pretty firm but I don't really think that it affects the ride that much though. Some people, including my wife, said they prefer the premium package seats. When I bought mine, it was possible to get sports package and add the premium seats but the price differentail to do that was ridiculous so not sure if you'll find many of those.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
wsybert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Vert

Ride is not the harsh, IMO. Love the power and the sound. Great vehicle.
1999 528iT 5sp manual (new addition)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 11:48 PM   #5
y.funyuns
y.funyuns
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 x5 4.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian5
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I have never regretted getting the 4.8i with sports package. I really like the ride and the handling.

The seating is pretty firm but I don't really think that it affects the ride that much though. Some people, including my wife, said they prefer the premium package seats. When I bought mine, it was possible to get sports package and add the premium seats but the price differentail to do that was ridiculous so not sure if you'll find many of those.
Haha. My boyfriend and I have been trying to figure out why my trucks seats are so firm. Every time we road trip we arrive with slumped sore backs. At least I know it's not just us. But my truck didn't come with heated seat option and sometimes they are burning hot. Do you have this problem too??
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
0_steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 X5 M60i/20 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by y.funyuns
Quote:
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Haha. My boyfriend and I have been trying to figure out why my trucks seats are so firm. Every time we road trip we arrive with slumped sore backs. At least I know it's not just us. But my truck didn't come with heated seat option and sometimes they are burning hot. Do you have this problem too??
Funny you say that about the hot seats. I ALWAYS sweat in the X5 (both my old 4.8 w sport seats and new 50i w Nappa comfort seats). I constantly look to see if the seat warmers are mistakenly on.

As for harsh suspension on the 4.8. I thought it was a bit rough when I had it. Now I have a 50i with standard suspension and couldn't be more disappointed. It is terribly soft and sloppy. Feels like I'm driving a Buick Roadmaster with hot seats.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
takuya
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaniard View Post
for extra power you need Upgraded Air Filter, Free-flow exhaust and an ECU tune.
Can you please explain more? what should we really need to upgrade? more details please!

I'm still loving my E70 4.8i sport package. i have 2 kids, honda odyssey and 4.8i. So yesterday, i took my 4.8i to trade for used e92 m3 cause i thought i only need one big vehicle for family and a daily drive. After i tested drive m3 for 15 minutes, i feel in love with it. Great handling, fast car, dct transmission is amazing. i went back home and took my wife over to see the m3 again, so we can make decision. But we got there and looked at my x5 inside and outside again. we decided to keep my e70 4.8i, and saving for the x5m (may be getting one on this summer) or wait for the new X5 F15.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #8
y.funyuns
y.funyuns
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 x5 4.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0_steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by y.funyuns
Quote:
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Funny you say that about the hot seats. I ALWAYS sweat in the X5 (both my old 4.8 w sport seats and new 50i w Nappa comfort seats). I constantly look to see if the seat warmers are mistakenly on.

As for harsh suspension on the 4.8. I thought it was a bit rough when I had it. Now I have a 50i with standard suspension and couldn't be more disappointed. It is terribly soft and sloppy. Feels like I'm driving a Buick Roadmaster with hot seats.
Yeah and they're always especially hot on extra hot days here in Houston. And I know it's not the black leather because they will stay hot for the entire ride. And the actual seat itself feels like its hot to the core. And I know it's not me making it got cuz I'm only a 98lb girl. Lol how much heat could I possibly let off? The thing is. There is no heated seat option in my truck. So what gives???
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 01:33 AM   #9
paulGT3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

I bought a X5 4.8iS and I LOVED that thing. I wanted a Cayenne being a Porsche guy SO bad but that 4.8iS would NOT let me move over. At the time it was JUST as good ad the Cayenne S and better built. And the X5 was better looking. Its a KILLER truck and I kept it until I sold it.....TO MY SON!!! I didnt want it to go. And EVEN then it took a X5M to move it out of my garage!
So look..... Find one and ENJOY!!!!

07 Z4M
06 4.8iS X5
07 GT silver GT3
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 08:07 AM   #10
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast, very very fast...

I just picked up an 08 4.8i yesterday. It has sport with adaptive drive, tech, premium, cold weather and comfort access packages with active steering and dynamic lighting. What an awesome vehicle! The ride is amazing. Not harsh at all. I love the sport suspension. It's my first bimmer and it absolutely won't be my last!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #11
3s-a-charm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLed79 View Post
I just picked up an 08 4.8i yesterday. It has sport with adaptive drive, tech, premium, cold weather and comfort access packages with active steering and dynamic lighting. What an awesome vehicle! The ride is amazing. Not harsh at all. I love the sport suspension. It's my first bimmer and it absolutely won't be my last!
LOL, my sentiments exactly! I love my X5 - it's a 4.8i with every option but comfort seats. So it has Nav, rear DVD, sport package, active steering, comfort access, premium, etc.

My only complaint is the Run Flat Tires - a lot of road noise coming from them - especially noticeable now that I have switched from my soft winter setup to the summers! Suspension is fantastic in these vehicles, though. I came from an e92 M3 and the X5 is (almost) as fun in the corners. Kind of miss the power, nimbleness, and high-revving engine sometimes...
      04-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #12
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast, very very fast...

Fortunately mine came with bridgestone street tires and a spare. No road noise and I cannot get over how well this thing corners. Those 315s in the rear are monsters! I've had many high end sports cars and wasn't expecting this station wagon on steroids to handle near as well as it does but it's seriously more fun to drive than anything I've ever owned. The steering really is intuitive. It definitely is taking some getting used to as far as how heavy the steering is at low speed. I'm definitely glad I have the active steering. It would be a beast without it!
Appreciate 0