XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #1
stltri
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 12 X5 35i M-Sport

shipping X5

Was wondering if anybody had any experience shipping an X5 interstate. I have heard pros and cons of open or closed transport but experiences have been varied. If you have had a good experience with a shipper can you recommend one and how much the cost is?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Biff Grissel
stankmouth
United_States
Rep
Drives: fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by stltri View Post
Was wondering if anybody had any experience shipping an X5 interstate. I have heard pros and cons of open or closed transport but experiences have been varied. If you have had a good experience with a shipper can you recommend one and how much the cost is?
i have alot of experience shipping classics and exotics and i know intercitylines.com and dependable auto shippers are both excellent.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
Blayne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Escalade

Ship in an inclosed trailer, even if you do somehow get a bad shipping company it's pretty hard to fuck up the vehicle shipping it this way, mind you people somehow how always seem to amaze me.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
alegz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6M

Open vs Enclosed Car Shipping

How far do you intend to ship your car? Different shipping options are available depending on the distance. For shorter trips less 600mi I would go with open.

Enclosed or covered transport is going to be at least 50% more expensive when compared to an open car-hauler. Also you will have to wait longer to get a truck due to limited availability. As far as delivery time they are about equal. Enclosed provides the maximum amount of coverage and companies that run those trucks usually have much higher insurance limits. Make sure to get a hard side enclosed trailer and not a soft side.

If you decide to ship on an open car-hauler make sure the company you hire will use straps and not chains to hold down your car. Some of the risks with shipping open is that not all damages will be covered by insurance. For instance road debris (any resulting rock chips), any sort of weather damage, glass damage (especially important if you have a panoramic roof).

When it comes down to it, your car is most likely to be damaged during loading and unloading. The bigger trailers (8-10 car haulers) are significantly more complicated due to hydraulics when compared to a 3-car hauler. Overall likelihood of damage is less than 5% however.

I work for a car shipping company and we ship many brand new vehicles on open car haulers, incident-free most of the time. I've shipped two of my brand new cars on an open car hauler as well, incident-free.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
PrestonGarcia
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW 328i

Shipping Company

Not sure if you're still looking, but I've always used these guys and have had no problems in the past...http://www.a1autotransport.com/
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Used Intercity Lines (http://www.intercitylines.com/) for my 1M. They were amazing. Worth every penny.
Appreciate 0