XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
Longhorn 35d
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 (E70) 35d

Switching from 18" to 20"

Howdy,
I know this subject has been discussed in this forum. Since I will be doing this change in the next couple of wheels I want to make an informed decision.
Will go with 214 staggered wheel set in my X5 35d, I'm planning to install non RFT tires. Contis Extreme Contact DWS seem to have the best reviews out there, the price is very competitive and their warranty has good rating too. After making the switch I will re-align the vehicle.
So I have these three questions:
1 - Is there anything that I need to be aware of concerning the alignment? any specific parameters (toe and camber) and values for them? for front and rear.
2- Are there Any other tires that are worth taking a look at?
3- Who has the highest mileage on a set of 20" Contis DWS in this forum?
Thanks,

Longhorn 35d
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #2
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

[QUOTE=Longhorn 35d;13954463]
1 - Is there anything that I need to be aware of concerning the alignment? any specific parameters (toe and camber) and values for them? for front and rear.
2- Are there Any other tires that are worth taking a look at?
3- Who has the highest mileage on a set of 20" Contis DWS in this forum?/QUOTE]
1. On my X5d (with 20"), I had my new DWSs aligned recently. I told the tech to align them for best tire wear. The reason I did that is because the original RFTs were prematurely (17K) worn out along the outer edges of the tires. After some research, I concluded that the tires can be aligned for best suspension performance (BMW specs) which results in outer tire edge wear or for even tire wear. The two appear to be mutually exclusive. I suggest you talk it over with your tech and reach an agreement on which of the two options you want. Or, maybe, something in between.
2. I would (and did) look at Michelin. I liked what I read about DWS on Tire Rack and went with that.
3. I have older (18") DWSs on my e46 330 but they're not close to being worn out. So far, I'm completely satisfied with the DWS and I'll probably continue using them.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Appreciate 0