XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-22-2022, 01:28 PM   #1
OliHamilton7
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 xDrive40d

2011 BMW X5 xdrive40d slippage when hard accelerating

I have a 2011 BMW X5 xdrive40d.
Recently, whilst heavy acceleration, it seems like something is slipping.
If I drive the car conservatively, with light acceleration, there is no slippage and the gear changes seems smooth.
I have just driven 400kms on the motorway with no issues and drives great, no vibration, changes through the gears great. However, when I go to overtake is slips, it feels like something is tugging the car backwards. The heavier the acceleration, the harder the slippage/jumping.

I have read about the transfer case and/or also misfire etc. but I do not have a clue.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 01:55 AM   #2
conmar
Pegger
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40d

Has the gear oil ever been changed? If so, when?
If not, I would geht that done first, preferably a flush. And on that occasion change the transfer case oil too, however, it should not be the cause of the issue.
If yes or only recently, like a couple of hundred miles or kilometers ago, check the gear oil level.
Btw., no sign of oil under your car does not mean there is no leakage- the oil can simply be burned.
You did not hear metallic noises, did you?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 08:01 AM   #3
Bengineer330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 2011 E92 M3

When I first bought my X5 it developed some slipping. Felt like I was tugging a trailer under acceleration.

Mine turned out to be the transfer case fluid. Don’t skimp get the BMW stuff, it expensive but worth it. With the right tools you can get it done fairly quickly.

As suggested, I’d do ALL the gear oil if you can, this E70 driveline is the most finicky I’ve owned when it comes to old fluid.
Appreciate 0