XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-11-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

DPF delete

Is anyone interested in a DPF delete for our trucks? This is of course for the diesel model. Carbon build up would be much less. Horsepower would go from 265 to over 350. Fuel economy will improve. You wont have to add urea, worry about nox sensors or scr cats. The kit includes a replacement pipe and software programming. Ecotune can do this, but told me I need to get 10 people together for a group buy. I can answer any more questions to the best of my knowledge.

I have purchased 2 of their tunes for my 335d and x5d and they were fantastic!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 12:05 PM   #2
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
A few n00b questions:

So you have the kit on your X5?

By "Ecotune can do this" you mean they can give us a kit, or do some labor, etc? Wasn't clear.

Does the vehicle now have that old diesel truck smell? What about fumes upon harder acceleration?

And, most importantly, whats the price?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge1 View Post
A few n00b questions:

So you have the kit on your X5?

By "Ecotune can do this" you mean they can give us a kit, or do some labor, etc? Wasn't clear.

Does the vehicle now have that old diesel truck smell? What about fumes upon harder acceleration?

And, most importantly, whats the price?
Hi Serge, so I do not have the kit on the car. I did purchase their tune and it upped my hp from 265 to around 350, give or take. It kept all of the emissions related equipment.

By Ecotune can do this, I mean that they can produce a pipe to be fitted to the vehicle instead of the DPF and do the software programming, which must be done by sending in the DDE, having them reflash it and reinstalling in the vehicle. Then you must have the pipe installed by either yourself or a mechanic. You could take your vehicle to their authorized reseller in new jersey also if you are close and dont want to do the work yourself.

I cannot comment on the diesel smell or fumes on hard acceleration. This kit however has been fitted in europe and its not the same as a diesel truck blowing black smoke everywhere.. its supposed to be a lot more environmentally friendly. You are removing the diesel particulate filter and now all of the particulate matter will be coming out of the tailpipe. Theres a kit they have made for the 335d and those guys will provide feedback once it is installed. Should be a couple weeks.. stay tuned.

The price ended up being 1250 that included a 200 discount off the regular price of 1450. This includes the pipe and the software programming. It might be $50 cheaper for the x5, but i'm not sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
Z@T
Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Vantage, 997, ModelX

Sounds interesting..

I'm just a bit concerned about the resale value if you modify your X.

For some people is also smog testing a topic. (Not here in FL )
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #5
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z@T View Post
Sounds interesting..

I'm just a bit concerned about the resale value if you modify your X.

For some people is also smog testing a topic. (Not here in FL )
The vehicle could be put back to stock if needed. Just replace the pipe and reflash the DDE. Certainly this mod should be only attempted in emissions friendly states. Even if there are emissions tests in your state you might be ok in your county as long as its a less populated area. Just check.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #6
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Thanks for replies.

So far, the pros are:
-Carbon build up would be much less.
-Fuel economy will improve.
-You wont have to add urea,
-No worry about nox sensors or scr cats

"Horsepower would go from 265 to over 350" is already achieved by Ecotune without DPF delete. Or is there yet another increase past that?

Whats the hp/tq increase without Ecotune (not sure exactly what that is), just DPF delete?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 04:56 PM   #7
boom
My X5d tows my spec miata to the track.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35d

Inspection complications is my main hangup with this. I'm in VA and we have an OBDII check and all of the monitors have to show "ready" or "completed" The testing facility will ask if you've recently cleared the ecu of a code and will tell you to drive the car until all of the monitors have set their readiness. Ecotune have not commented on what the monitors show with their DPF delete/tune. TDIwyse reported that the monitors would not set readiness and therefore you won't pass OBDII check. When Ecotune can address this, I'll be a buyer.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 05:17 PM   #8
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge1 View Post
Thanks for replies.

So far, the pros are:
-Carbon build up would be much less.
-Fuel economy will improve.
-You wont have to add urea,
-No worry about nox sensors or scr cats

"Horsepower would go from 265 to over 350" is already achieved by Ecotune without DPF delete. Or is there yet another increase past that?

Whats the hp/tq increase without Ecotune (not sure exactly what that is), just DPF delete?
You are correct, with the current tune the hp quoted to be around 350, depending on the dyno of course. Without the DPF the horsepower will increase even more as there's less backpressure. How much more is currently unknown. Once the 335d folks will report with dyno number we shall know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
Inspection complications is my main hangup with this. I'm in VA and we have an OBDII check and all of the monitors have to show "ready" or "completed" The testing facility will ask if you've recently cleared the ecu of a code and will tell you to drive the car until all of the monitors have set their readiness. Ecotune have not commented on what the monitors show with their DPF delete/tune. TDIwyse reported that the monitors would not set readiness and therefore you won't pass OBDII check. When Ecotune can address this, I'll be a buyer.
I understand your concern about obd readiness. Perhaps in the future this may be circumvented, but currently would fail.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #9
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Same issue with the monitors showing ready here.
      06-11-2014, 05:54 PM   #10
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

In the VW/Audi camp, when you have a TDI, lots of folks remove the cats and particulate filters and then get a tune. Not only do they get a fantastic improvement in power, and some gain in mileage.
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ne-Tuning.aspx

But the downside is that when WOT, you're really no different than a diesel bus or semi truck and it does indeed produce a plume of black smoke.. There is nothing environmentally friendly about this at all. It's all done for the sake of performance. Nature of the beast I guess.

Last edited by mitch808; 06-11-2014 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #11
boom
United_States
Rep

there are actually studies that show that the DPF reduces the size of the particulate rather than oxidize the carbon fully to CO, CO2. The particulate is still present, it's just smaller, less visible and has unknown environmental and biological impact. the body is adept at removing material from the lungs but when the particulate becomes extremely small, its effects are not well understood. I'm not saying removing the DOC is good in anyway but the DPF is unproven. Additionally if the DPF reduces mileage and you have to burn more diesel to get where you're going, the benefits become even more questionable.

My current plan is to yank the DPF and leave the DOC and tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #12
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep

I agree with you. Besides diesels have been running without dpfs for decades. Its only now they do so because of bureacracy.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #13
mitch808
Captain
Rep

Look I run a catless vehicle on the streets, have been doing something similar on various vehicles for a decade if not more.

That said, the logic of better MPG, negates the removal of a particulate filter that has "not well understood," studies is not really the right argument here.

I think at the end of the day, we all want the same thing, more power, freedom to modify our vehicles the way we want, have sex with young supple women, etc.... But let's not perpetuate the fallacy of unproven, not well understood, etc arguments about new emissions related equipment. We're intentionally removing something that was designed to protect the environment, to serve our own needs. Where as the emissions standards have the right idea in protecting the environment... Whether they do as much as they think, or we hope, who knows really...

Churches say evolution didn't happen. Do you believe that too? (Sorry that is a terrible and harsh example, but it helps my point)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #14
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep

The mpg improvement is due to the elimination of regeneration cycles. Not because of removal of emmissions components.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #15
mitch808
Captain
Rep

Where I live, there is a raised highway about 60' above me condo, and 30-40' back. I live in Seattle, it rains. A lot.

However before spring or summer, I will take out the chairs and other patio equipment for a cleaning, not to mention pressure wash my patio. The soot build-up is amazing. I can't wait for them to tear the viaduct down, which will hopefully happen in the next couple of years. If we can ever get the damn earth digging machine unstuck... Not only will it be a tad quieter, but I believe the soot accumilation will reduce dramatically.

This eventually washes down the drainage system into Puget Sound, into the ocean.

I hope if anything, the technology will improve in the active DPF space if anything, so as to clean better, and perhaps not be such a restriction, improving MPG. Which is a win-win for us all.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #16
boom
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_planet View Post
The mpg improvement is due to the elimination of regeneration cycles. Not because of removal of emmissions components.
An engine is an air pump. Any reduction in restriction improves the volumetric efficiency and improves mileage. EGR improves VE because the throttle opens more to add more air to counteract the exhaust gas dilution of the intake charge. That's the whole reason it's mandated.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #17
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Amigos ECOTUNE will need a GUINEA PIG, you will have to send them your DPF. and if anyone is interested in getting their pipe done here in the USA contact me WE NEED a person in the NJ or NY area to do this. Ecotune used Tdi's pipe as a sample to produce the downpipe and so far as of today NO ONE has recieved the pipe cause of delays, and BTW are being shipped here to the states as far as i am concerened, the ONLY two guys that have the ecotune program are TDi and 2deerwhistlers, that said the one I know that has the pipe is 2deerwhistlers dont know if TDi got his from Ecotune

As a matter of fact those living in those OBD II states its NOT going to happen neither ECOTUNE(England) RENNtech(Florida) or anyone can garantee emissions passing, the mere fact of changing ANY emissions controlled vehicle is against the law but who cares i dont!!! Any tuner making changes to the emission has to have a disclosure statement for OFF ROAD use and I believe Ecotune does not and RENNtech will not alter emission componenets, so the moral here is go for it but be aware if they catch you you will pay the price.

Thanks Joe for the info spoke to my people
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 11:38 AM   #18
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep

My problem I live in Texas.. this is a major pain for me to send the pipe.

If we dont find anyone I'll probably do it eventually.

My goal here is to blow away most cars on the road and do it with better mpgs, haha!

If you think about it this thing will have about the same torque as an x5 m, close to 400hp and getting well over 20 mpg while doing it!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 06:12 PM   #19
USAF M6
DO EPIC SH!T!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 35d / 2007 M6

Garage List
2007 BMW M6  [0.00]
2007 M6  [8.75]
Yes, definitely interested.