XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-22-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
troymi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Convertible

E70 Thoughts, F15 Weeklong Drive, Macan in the Wild

So, to ramble on a bit: I took our E70 M Sport 35 with 11k miles into service. No big issues, just needed a flash and swapped winter tires and wheels out (469M are now winters!). I ended up with a '15 X5 base F15 for a weeklong drive. I guess they wanted to sell it.

Wow, is the F15 (at least that one) a piece of sh*t. At least in my opinion, compared to my X5, for that week. The only redeeming thing I found was the option to move to "sport" mode versus "comfort" or "eco pro." Much has been made of the steering. I was dubious it could be that bad. I found the light touch around town ok. I moved to "sport" and it was a little better. Until I was actually forced to drive as opposed to park in a spot. The inability to modulate the steering was strange, then disconserting. Then a little scary. The steering input would move, then at high speed the wheel actually seems to push against what you're trying to do do simulate resistance. I was on a freeway, at 80 mph in a long curve and seriously the wheel literally decided that I needed to push it harder and applied negative resistance to where I wanted to go. I don't know what my face looked like, but I know I did not like the feeling that I wasn't going to make a curve at 80.

The iDrive and dash washed out in bright sunlight. Other than that, they are ok. Not great. The styling is not my taste, so I'll say horrible. Again, I had a base model. They put the strut back in the rear floor storage; yeah! Side view mirrors are almost worthless they are so small. Cruise control off the stick and put on the wheel is cheap and minivan like. Cost cutting all over the place. Not as quiet as it should be. Anyone notice they changed to PGW (used to be PPG) glass? Not insulated as well for sure; probably thinner. Wiper system and washers were not doing well on this example. After 4k miles on this one, it rattled a lot more than I would expect. Seat to steering wheel didn't seem to line up where I ever got comfortable.

Then I got back in our X5. Looks, feels, and drives like it should. Exhaust is right (at least on ours, in my opinion). Seats (Multi countour) felt like gloves and it wanted to be driven instead of taking me to another place.

Saw a Porsche Macan S today in the parking lot. Thought it was a Q5 at first. Go figure. Do NOT see the attraction to the style. Performance? Yes. The turbos I saw at the auto show looked incredible. Maybe it was the lights. Don't think I'd even consider it personally.

A few minutes of blab before the holidays. Merry Christmas or other applicable holiday to all! It's been a fun year on the forum.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymi View Post
Saw a Porsche Macan S today in the parking lot. Thought it was a Q5 at first. Go figure. Do NOT see the attraction to the style. Performance? Yes. The turbos I saw at the auto show looked incredible. Maybe it was the lights. Don't think I'd even consider it personally.
I walked around one at a parking lot once. I thought it was a very good looking vehicle. However, it's tiny, and appears smaller than the Q5. I thought it was no bigger dimensionally (well, of course it's taller!) than my 135i. If you have no kids and are loaded, I would consider it.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
Capnhook
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

The cruise stalk on the wife's '12 X5 35d is the most confusing cruise system I've ever used. I only drive it a couple times a month, and find it to be the most unintuitive system, especially since its hidden behind the wheel, it's hard to reference anything while doing 75. That, and the front dual zone climate control is more like a "We tried, but couldn't figure out how to make the driver feel more than 5 degrees + or - the passenger setting" system. Other than those two things, the '12 is turning out to be the best one yet!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 10:56 PM   #4
troymi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnhook
The cruise stalk on the wife's '12 X5 35d is the most confusing cruise system I've ever used. I only drive it a couple times a month, and find it to be the most unintuitive system, especially since its hidden behind the wheel, it's hard to reference anything while doing 75. That, and the front dual zone climate control is more like a "We tried, but couldn't figure out how to make the driver feel more than 5 degrees + or - the passenger setting" system. Other than those two things, the '12 is turning out to be the best one yet!
After a while using the cruise in the e70 its second nature. No looking and its exact in the way it's able to be controlled. I rent 30 different cars a year and I always end up comparing to this.

Climate settings are funny. Make sure you personalize the settings side to side. Press the vent button and use the idrive control to set warmer or cooler
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 12:10 AM   #5
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

IMO this has much to do with the fact you have an M Sport and the F15 was a base model. To me packaging is everything.

I recently had my 2005 330i ZHP (performance package) in for service and took a 2015 328i 'base model' courtesy vehicle for 2 days. This car was 10 years newer and should have been better in every way but was completely forgettable. The window sticker was in the glove box - 47K…I can't even imagine spending that much on this car. However, had it been equipped with the Sport or M Sport package I'm certain I'd have enjoyed it much more. Without these packages it wallowed through turns, sat too high, had balloons for tires, etc. The 4 cylinder engine sounded like starting a Camry, the non-Sport steering wheel was skinny as a pepperoni stick, and the steering feel was completely forgettable (probably no better even w/ the Sport package?)

I'd have traded for it only because it was worth 3x as much as my car, but from a driving enjoyment perspective, it was a joke to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 08:37 AM   #6
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i MSport

I walked around a 2015 50i yesterday - not MSport and thought it looked underwhelming to say the least. Wheels were horrible.

I'm sure the MSport will look a bit more bad ass.
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #7
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Merry Christmas to you also mate.

So, not impressed with the F15? I've had the pleasure of driving my father's new F15 (actually picked it up for him at the dealership) and must say that I'd trade my E70 in for it without thinking twice about it. The second the F15 was released, my E70 looked old. I find the interior to be more comfortable as well. That being said, my father's F15 is loaded. I've not driven a base model as of yet.

Here she is:

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Merry Christmas to you also mate.

So, not impressed with the F15? I've had the pleasure of driving my father's new F15 (actually picked it up for him at the dealership) and must say that I'd trade my E70 in for it without thinking twice about it. The second the F15 was released, my E70 looked old. I find the interior to be more comfortable as well. That being said, my father's F15 is loaded. I've not driven a base model as of yet.
Agreed on the F15, especially the interior - it looks considerably more modern than the E70. I've only driven the 35d in the F15 and was impressed (still prefer the 50i though).
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 11:12 AM   #9
Capnhook
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

I admit, I've yet to drive the new X5, but the wife's 35d with sport package is a decent sporty drive. But for really raw power, that's left to my '96 Viper GTS.
Appreciate 0