XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

08-03-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
slednexx
Rep
Drives: bmw x6 3.5i

x6 subwoofer in seats

i have had my x6 for 4 months it just deosnt seem like the sub woofers work under the seats?
anybody have this issue?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
slednexx
Rep

how can i be sure that they work?
any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #3
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by slednexx View Post
any ideas?
carefully slide a piece of cardboard under the seat and see if it sounds any different ?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
any ideas?
How about turning up the music and reaching under the seats and feeling the vibration?
      08-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
robinzon
Rep
Drives: X6 5.0i Monaco Blue

Quote:
i have had my x6 for 4 months it just deosnt seem like the sub woofers work under the seats?
anybody have this issue?
Do you have Premium Sound on the car? if not there are no subs... otherwise go to your config menu and go to the Equalizer (after Fade, Bass, etc) there you can adjust individual frequencies.... also don't expect to be jumping up and down in the seat from the subs... besides they are in the FLOOR of the vehicle not actually attached to your seat..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 06:51 AM   #6
slednexx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinzon View Post
Do you have Premium Sound on the car? if not there are no subs... otherwise go to your config menu and go to the Equalizer (after Fade, Bass, etc) there you can adjust individual frequencies.... also don't expect to be jumping up and down in the seat from the subs... besides they are in the FLOOR of the vehicle not actually attached to your seat..
i have the premium system.
There just doesnt seem to be enough base.
I had a ford f150 with subs in the seats, it was amazing.
What frequencie on the equalizer will help get more base?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

The subs definitely work but they are tuned to have a low frequency response that rolls off gradually instead of one that peaks, then falls off abruptly below the peak. This is a matter of taste. They are also more woofers than subwoofers. Unless you boost the base using the equalizer you won't really feel the beat, unless the song has real strong bass content, but you also won't hear the boomy sound that some find objectionable. Since the underseat enclosures lack volume, the response lacks the lowest 2 octaves needed for real high fidelity. This is reflected in the equalizer whose lowest boostable band is at 100 Hz but "real" high end subwoofers operate between 20 and 80 hz.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #8
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Trying turning off surround sound.

Unless the music/movie is true surround not all speakers work right.

For example, if you are listening to a standard CD with surround sound turned on, you will find very little sound coming through the rear speakers and subs.

Change the setting to standard stereo.
      08-05-2009, 05:04 PM   #9
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
Trying turning off surround sound.

Unless the music/movie is true surround not all speakers work right.

For example, if you are listening to a standard CD with surround sound turned on, you will find very little sound coming through the rear speakers and subs.

Change the setting to standard stereo.
If you're right, it's a funky setup. As Kojak said subs operate within a certain range all the time, and the amplifier frequency filter should be passing the low range sounds to the sub all the time.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #10
robinzon
Rep
Drives: X6 5.0i Monaco Blue

You are getting into semantics now... though my Lexus with Mark Levinson components produced crispier mids and lows... Sound and iDrive speed are two things BMW has a ways to go on..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #11
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

The other thing to note about low frequencies is that your ears can't tell where they are coming from. This is why typical surround sound systems use a single sub and give you the freedom to place it almost anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 01:12 PM   #12
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
You are getting into semantics now... though my Lexus with Mark Levinson components produced crispier mids and lows... Sound and iDrive speed are two things BMW has a ways to go on..
Didn't mean to be confusing.

Let me say it another way: Most good quality sound systems have circuitry that separates the various sound frequencies within the total range of human hearing. As most people are aware, the highest frequencies are for the smallest speakers and so on. Most systems only need one sub-woofer because sound in the low ranges travels omni-directional, but it will travel long distances. On the other hand, higher frequencies are not as powerful and don't travel as far. That's why you need the filtering circuitry to direct the frequencies to the proper speaker location.

Normally a good sub-woofer is large, takes up a lot of room and is somewhat obtrusive. Because they are large, you typically only need one to do the job. So I'm guessing BMW's strategy was to use 2 smaller, less powerful sub-woofers and put them closer to the primary occupants (i.e., under the front seats).

My point earlier was, and I didn't mean to be confusing, was this sounds (pun intended) like it's a funky setup, but I understand why BMW made the compromise. Regardless, the sub-woofer is always going to emit some amount of sound, although it may not be as obvious as high and mid range frequencies, which are going to be closer to your ears. The issue may be that BMW used low power sub-woofers, and since they were aiming at space utilization as a priority, they may not emit much sound, hence the OP's question:

For those people that have the Premium Sound system upgrade, how much sound are their sub-woofers putting out?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #13
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Idrive speed is fixed on the new version because it is HD based and boots rights away.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 12:57 PM   #14
hellomyBMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6 50i

Garage List
Can you tell me under which seat, the sub-woofer is located?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 01:16 PM   #15
UnicornM
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M

There's one under each seat.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 01:46 PM   #16
hellomyBMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6 50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_MSPORT View Post
There's one under each seat.
Thank you! I will check it out.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 11:16 PM   #17
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30

Garage List
Quote:
anybody have this issue?
Replace your audio system with BMW's Individual Audio AMP, Subs, Mids and Tweeters. That's when you are not going to have a question if you under-the-front-seats subs are working or not
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 12:45 PM   #18
andres ch
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw e71 2011 3.5i

Just contact the guys (Patryk) from bimmer-tech (http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw-...udio-retrofits). I also thought that my subwoofers were not working, however it was a matter of the OEM amp (I had the hi-fi sound). After changing the amp, the sound became EXCELLENT and I was able to notice that there are a couple of subs below the seats.... Hope it helps
Appreciate 1