XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-28-2015, 09:50 AM   #23
gixxerboy63
Tanzanite Blue II X5M Pilot
Rep
Drives: M3, M4, X3 M40i, X5M

Garage List
2017 m4  [0.00]
2010 BMW X5M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamo3 View Post
...The best money spent on these is on a tune, the downpipes help some but not as noticeable.
Agreed!

I feel that a tune is a 100% must have, especially if you own an X5M. If you do not have a tune, then you are truly missing out..

When I first installed the DPs, I wasn't sure that I would keep them. The odor was noticeable and the truck seemed a little too loud for my taste. In my mind, it didn't really make any more noticeable power, yet the reduced engine bay heat was the biggest motivator for me to keep them. Then I began to like the new exotic sound my truck was making.... It sounded much more aggressive and "M" like.

Now that Active Autowerke has improved their stage 2+ tune for cattless downpipes, I have noticed less gaseous odor and an increase in torque over their previous tune.

I think I will keep mine now.

2020 X5M - Tanzanite II
2012 M3 - Alpine White

Last edited by gixxerboy63; 12-05-2015 at 08:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 03:17 PM   #24
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

Did not like the catless down pipes, too loud(i did the exhaust mod) and and wife hated the gas smell...same smell as a bike with straight pipes. It makes the car way louder....good luck leaving at 5am, your neighbors will hate you
      12-02-2015, 04:17 PM   #25
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Haha yeah after reading through and remembering what my E63 sounded like with out cats I have decided not to go through with it. Have given up on the exhaust search also. I want 22's and lower but I'm not willing to compromise the ride quality. As of now, a tune is all I'm willing to put up with. Subject to change!
      12-04-2015, 11:07 PM   #26
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

This is why I gutted my stock cats until these downpipes come down to a more realistic price. I can concur that while they may not add power, they make the throttle response that much better and it cost me nothing to get it. A tune will truly wake your car up more than anything else.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 04:12 PM   #27
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

My solution was two fold. First I'm using the eisenmann sport muffler since its valved. Keeps cold start reasonable. Second I had mil spec 100 cell cats welded into section 1. If you are using stock mid pipes it would be where the resonators are. Just swap them. The smell is drastically reduced, but still there a bit since 100 cell. One could use the 200 cell option of they wanted full smell free. The car smells similar to a diesel truck now weirdly enough. Doesn't bother the wife or kids at all since everyone is used to that smell.
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 04:35 PM   #28
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 guy View Post
My solution was two fold. First I'm using the eisenmann sport muffler since its valved. Keeps cold start reasonable. Second I had mil spec 100 cell cats welded into section 1. If you are using stock mid pipes it would be where the resonators are. Just swap them. The smell is drastically reduced, but still there a bit since 100 cell. One could use the 200 cell option of they wanted full smell free. The car smells similar to a diesel truck now weirdly enough. Doesn't bother the wife or kids at all since everyone is used to that smell.
The smell with catless dp's along with straight pipes is awful! It's way too loud(my neighbors want to shoot me every morning I start it) and have been told it now sounds like a turbo diesel...the only good that came from going catless is the amazing sound of the turbos spooling I'm going to be installing a full exhaust system asap...my wife can't take the smell anymore
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 04:58 PM   #29
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Yeah those were my main concerns. My setup for those interested:

1. AR Design ceramic coated catless down pipes

2. Straight pipe supersprint section 1 with mil spec 100 cell cats welded in

3. Supersprint X-pipe section 2

4. Eisenmann sport black series 90mm rolled tips.

Go 200 cell if you want zero smell. 100 cell has just a hair, but nowhere near full catless. Mil spec are scca approved so they are good enough for me without breaking the bank. Just wanted smell reduction. I do not have any o2s plugged into them.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2015, 05:39 PM   #30
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo View Post
The smell with catless dp's along with straight pipes is awful! It's way too loud(my neighbors want to shoot me every morning I start it) and have been told it now sounds like a turbo diesel...the only good that came from going catless is the amazing sound of the turbos spooling I'm going to be installing a full exhaust system asap...my wife can't take the smell anymore
Do you have pics of your muffler delete setup and how did the power feel before and after? I've only got catless downpipes and a tune now, get a slight drone here and there that can be remedied with more throttle.

I'm doing the cliche thing everyone does when they spend money on parts by trying to justify our purchase and decision, be it good or bad. Either way I wanna delete the muffler for sake of flow and hearing the turbos more. I'm doing an x-pipe since it's supposed to add more depth to the exhaust note, but I'm thinking I should add or R&R the stock resonators for larger ones. Below is a pic from Turner Motorsports website and their exhaust system next to the factory piece. Other than being titanium with better bends, it looks like their resonators are larger as well. Quoted from their website "This “cat back” exhaust system is manufactured entirely from titanium. One of the most important changes is the incorporation of an X-pipe in the system. The inclusion of an X-pipe increases low to mid-range power while at the same time producing a deeper exhaust note that the original system lacks. Additionally, a pair of resonators are added to eliminate any chance of in-cabin droning." - http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-43...m-e71-x6m.aspx
Attached Images

Last edited by m5james; 12-07-2015 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 08:07 PM   #31
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Do you have pics of your muffler delete setup and how did the power feel before and after? I've only got catless downpipes and a tune now, get a slight drone here and there that can be remedied with more throttle.

I'm doing the cliche thing everyone does when they spend money on parts by trying to justify our purchase and decision, be it good or bad. Either way I wanna delete the muffler for sake of flow and hearing the turbos more. I'm doing an x-pipe since it's supposed to add more depth to the exhaust note, but I'm thinking I should add or R&R the stock resonators for larger ones. Below is a pic from Turner Motorsports website and their exhaust system next to the factory piece. Other than being titanium with better bends, it looks like their resonators are larger as well. Quoted from their website "This “cat back” exhaust system is manufactured entirely from titanium. One of the most important changes is the incorporation of an X-pipe in the system. The inclusion of an X-pipe increases low to mid-range power while at the same time producing a deeper exhaust note that the original system lacks. Additionally, a pair of resonators are added to eliminate any chance of in-cabin droning." - http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-43...m-e71-x6m.aspx
To be perfectly honest with you, the straight pipes sounded great before I got a tune and catless dp's, it didn't add any noticeable gains in terms of hp/tq maybe 5hp???

Ever since I added the dp's and tune the truck now sounds ridiculously loud, having no type of exhaust restrictions the smell of gas is now unbearable...I am actually embarrassed to go above 3k rpm due to the exhaust note and people staring at me like I'm driving a pos truck...it sounds like I have my own personal trumpet player sitting in the back seat

I plan on getting an Akrapovic full exhaust in the very near future...if I were you I would cut the suitcase open on your stock exhaust and follow the same procedure ROBNYC did on his X5M
Attached Images

Last edited by Cattivo; 12-14-2015 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2015, 08:21 PM   #32
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

All that work inside the muffler is great and all, but it'll still block the sound of the turbos and won't get me tips that actually fill the opening...and I've already had them PC'd flat black.

Between your h-pipe after the diff vs me using an x-pipe at a more stock location (factory on the M5 and aftermarket X5M exhausts) while also doing an R&R for bigger resonators, I'm hoping I won't run into your issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 04:00 PM   #33
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
All that work inside the muffler is great and all, but it'll still block the sound of the turbos and won't get me tips that actually fill the opening...and I've already had them PC'd flat black.

Between your h-pipe after the diff vs me using an x-pipe at a more stock location (factory on the M5 and aftermarket X5M exhausts) while also doing an R&R for bigger resonators, I'm hoping I won't run into your issues.
Keep your stock exhaust handy just in case you do run into my issues
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2015, 04:15 PM   #34
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I will. On my 740il6 I replaced the resonator with an x-pipe and installed Magnaflow 14816 mufflers...sounded like a damn speedboat on the water with all the wrong gearing. I put the stock resonator back on, the mufflers broke in and it damn near sounds like the B&B Triflo on an E39 M5...perfect.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 09:32 PM   #35
TheVazha
Major
Rep

"..with all the wrong gearing.." lol sir.
      12-08-2015, 10:36 PM   #36
jrmccain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo View Post
To be perfectly honest with you, the straight pipes sounded great before I got a tune and catless dp's, it didn't add any noticeable gains in terms of hp/tq maybe 5hp???

Ever since I added the dp's and tune the truck now sounds ridiculously loud, having no type of exhaust restrictions the smell of gas is now unbearable...I am actually embarrassed to go above 3k rpm due to the exhaust note and people staring at me like I'm driving a pos truck...it sounds like I have my own personal trumpet player sitting in the back seat

I plan on getting an Akrapovic full exhaust in the very near future...if I were you I would cut the suitcase open on your stock exhaust and follow the same procedure ROBNYC did on his X5M
Cattivo, it looks like you've "hit the wall" on the exhaust mods on this truck. I completely understand your dilemma. I currently have dps with a stock exhaust on my truck and know that I cannot go any further. After all, this is suppose to be a family vehicle, or at least luxury/utility. To go any further would make it a really uncomfortable daily driver. I know that everyone has there own tolerance levels, and maybe I would feel different if I didn't have kids and a wife, but at some point the truck becomes undesirable. Did I just say that?!! Well, I think you know what I mean.

Anyway, I commend you on your willingness to go "all the way". And thanks for the honest report.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 04:12 PM   #37
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmccain View Post
Cattivo, it looks like you've "hit the wall" on the exhaust mods on this truck. I completely understand your dilemma. I currently have dps with a stock exhaust on my truck and know that I cannot go any further. After all, this is suppose to be a family vehicle, or at least luxury/utility. To go any further would make it a really uncomfortable daily driver. I know that everyone has there own tolerance levels, and maybe I would feel different if I didn't have kids and a wife, but at some point the truck becomes undesirable. Did I just say that?!! Well, I think you know what I mean.

Anyway, I commend you on your willingness to go "all the way". And thanks for the honest report.
If I were single and had no kids, I wouldn't mind the sound and gaseous odor it's now producing...my wife refuses to put my daughter in the truck till I (in her words) not make it sound so stupid and make it less stinky!

A new Akrapovic full exhaust system will be my next mod...for now

Last edited by Cattivo; 12-09-2015 at 04:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 05:57 PM   #38
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

The Akrapovic won't do anything for your smell. You need cats for that. That's why I went Supersprint Eisenmann combo. Eisenmann is valved and Supersprint mid pipes are steel, which allowed cats to be welded in.

You could also just keep your oem mid pipes and put a valved exhaust on. Swap the resonators for cats and you will be all set. Go Eisenmann for less noise or Meisterschaft for a huge noise difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 06:40 PM   #39
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post
"..with all the wrong gearing.." lol sir.
ALL the noise, none of the speed to match. It was bad, REALLY bad.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 06:42 PM   #40
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 guy View Post
The Akrapovic won't do anything for your smell. You need cats for that.
Truth
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 07:07 PM   #41
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Forget all the loud that can be achieved by gutting cats, going straight pipe, etc.., what about getting good sound?

Somewhere in this small V8 lives an engine that has some tone to it. You can hear it slightly on shift changes 3-2 and 2-1. It's not loud and doesn't last longer than half a second but you do get that nice rich hello. It sounds like a G55 with a stock exhaust, nice, deep, rich. Is there a way to tap into that noise? That for me would be the ultimate. An X5M that sounds like a G wagon. I've tried purchasing a G63 exhaust but after measuring, there's no way to fit it under there.

I mean, just picture your X5M driving past you and sounding like a G55/63 and not what it sounds like now. That would make this truck the beast it is.
      12-09-2015, 09:31 PM   #42
protecon
*May contain nuts
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M MCB

Probably inherit to the cross/split pulse design of the S63 exhaust manifold and turbos, matched to provide a more constant flow of gas.

There's a good video on here that talks more about exhaust gas science and why the "thong slap" of a NA (or conventional manifold design) V8 is actually wasted horsepower.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 11:03 AM   #43
dpie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

Last edited by dpie; 12-20-2015 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 04:06 PM   #44
gixxerboy63
Tanzanite Blue II X5M Pilot
Rep
Drives: M3, M4, X3 M40i, X5M

Garage List
2017 m4  [0.00]
2010 BMW X5M  [10.00]
I wish mine could sound more like my old 4.6is.... In some ways, the X5M sounds more exotic with the dps, but it certainly doesn't have the beefy v8 rumble I liked so much.

Hey M3 Guy, You still have your DPs installed correct? Did the addition of the 100 cell cats make any difference regarding performance or sound?

2020 X5M - Tanzanite II
2012 M3 - Alpine White
Appreciate 0