XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-20-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
Relapse
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i

2012 X5d or 2011 Range Rover Sport

im deciding over one of these trucks. with the x5 im gettin all the packages for 1350/60 months and 10000 down. for the range rover im gettin all the packages for 1300/48 months and 30000 buy back. what do you guys think about the deals and the trucks.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
julian08X5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6

Garage List
2008 BMW X5 4.8i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I had Range Rover Sport, Range Rover HSE, Land Rover LR3 after my 2003 BMW X5 3.0. Couldn't get used to any of the Rovers... I am now back in the BMW x5 4.8i So, my recommendation, stick to the X5. Land Rover trucks are different kind of animal. For example, I found LR3 to be horrible in the snow, while I never had issues with X5. HSE was better, but by far not what X5 offered. The Sport, I found entirely too small inside for a truck. So, X5 is my vote and recommendation!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #3
listerone
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540d

I guarantee that once you go diesel you'll never go back.
Formerly: 2009 335d
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
Speedy Brother
Rep
Drives: 2011 x5 35d

Just went through the same dilima

Relapse,

I recently tackled the same issue. After not being able to make up my mind I put specs of each vehicle in a spreadsheet(fuel economy, price, cargo space, head room, leg room, etc...) and rated each category 1-5. I also waited the categories 1-3 (not important, somewhat imp., really important) as to which had more value to me.

The x5 Diesel won by a significant margin over the RR Sport, LR4, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and MB ML350 Diesel, Toureg Diesel.

When I started my search i was actually looking for a 2 year used full size Range Rover. As i was looking I expanded the search to include many vehicles. I decided true off loading is something I didn't need and probably shouldn't pay for daily, I've only been up 1 mountain in past 6 years and that was in a rented Jeep. Also decided I didn't have to have the "full size" SUV anymore though ii spent the last 20 years in a full size truck and then Tahoe. Finally decided fuel economy was important which made me lean towards a diesel. I hated the MB. Land Rover doesn't make a diesel for US market. Toureg was too small inside. The Grand Cherokee was close, it was certainly priced lower than the others but I felt I needed the larger Hemi engine and that brought the price up towards the other vehicles plus terrible fuel economy like the Land Rover's.

Good luck with your decision.

speedy.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
Relapse
Private First Class
Rep

im thinking the same thing. i believe with my driving i would spend a couple thousand extra on gas for the range rover over the years im owning it. theres one with white/beige and dark bamboo wood trim loaded. i havent seen dark bambo yet but im hoping it looks good
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 06:11 AM   #6
Alikhan
Rep
Drives: X5, E53, 2006 + E70 2007

Of course ONLY BMW X5.
1) X5 is much more reliabile than RR and all of LR's
2) Cost of spare parts for X - much more cheaper
3) I don't know how for you - but i really enjoy driving X5 - this is the main reason for me - it is one of the best driver's car
And the fourth =) i don't know how in America, but in UAE and in Russia it is very easy to sell X5 after few years than RR and save more money.

But anyway - it is your personal decision =) and (again) anyway - good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 09:07 AM   #7
Speedy Brother
Rep
Drives: 2011 x5 35d

Hey Relapse,

Did you post the same query on a Land Rover forum? Are the replies heavily weighted towards buying a Range Rover Sport? This is not exactly a non-biased audience.

I consulted Consumer Reports, Edmunds, Car & Driver, and several other resources for articles & reviews. Nothing I found was definitive, it fact is was quite the opposite. What is best for you, your driving situation, your family situation, your recreation activity situation, and so on, is unique to you.

One thing I have noticed since I made my x5 purchase, The Range Rover, Range Rover Sport, and LR4, 3, & Discovery are a dime a dozen where I live. The x5 is not as prevalent. This reason: Status Symbol. I live in a city without the topology or climate which warrant the capability that Land Rover products offer. There is nothing wrong with buying a status symbol and many will rightly state that BMW is a status symbol as well.

Personally I like the looks of Land Rover's products over the x5. The Range Rover is (to me) the most beautiful SUV/Large Wagon made today. I think the x5 looks a lot like the Lexus, Infinity, Kia, Hyundai, and many others, kind of pedestrian. YMMV.

again, good luck. happy motoring.
speedy
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
Relapse
Private First Class
Rep

hey. actually i didnt post anything on the range rover forum. i wanted to know why people picked an x5 and i can see why. im going to my dealership on monday to see what kind of deal i can get. hopefully everything goes well. thanks for all the advice
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I tried to make this same decision also. I too think the range rover sport is the best looking suv on the market, but also has the worst reliability and mpg. I picked the one that drove the best and that was the x5 by far. Cool factor goes to the land rover but that's about it.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0