XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-15-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
kennyt
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M

X5M battery dead after cleaning

It was sunny and warm on Sat so I decided to wash my X5M and vacuum it. I spent a few hours cleaning the car with one door open at a time and by the time I was done the battery was dead. I couldn't start the car and couldn't even open the trunk. Put it on a charger and battery had only 9% left. I had nothing on during clean up, just the door light. Imagine taking the car to a detail shop..may have to call a tow truck if you don't have a battery charger handy.

I also cleaned up my wife's 09 Accord at the same time and had the door light on too and the Accord didn't have any problem.

Did anyone experience this?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
BimmerGeorge
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

I had the same problem. My car wash guy would show up on Saturday and the battery would be dead when he left an hour or so later. My wife's Q7 had no problem. Took it to the dealer and they tried to tell me I left the ignition on. They charged the battery and sent me on my way. After 2 or 3 more trips back and the same number of AAA jump starts they finally replaced the $900 battery (how does a battery cost that much?). Haven't had a problem since. At that price I can understand their hesitation to switch out a battery too quickly but it sure was a pain in the @$$ taking it in every time. Good luck.....
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
campbelly
AC Schnitzel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

This is a pretty common problem in the newer x5's so I'm not surprised at all it's happening in the M...happened to my dads '08 x5 msport a couple times as well, he just picked up an x5m as well so I'm hoping for no problems with this one!

Anyways the dealer claims that there are so many electronic parts going on just when you unlock and open the doors that the battery is very prone to dying if left not driven for a bit (which is true I guess). Now imagine that with all the extra electronics our x5m's must have and we've got our problem...my suggestion is to purchase a trickle-charger and keep the car plugged in while doing work such as detailing if this keeps happening..if you don't wanna go that route just remember to drive the car pretty long distances before doing a detail so the battery is fully charged.
      05-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
kennyt
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M

How does a new battery solve this problem? A higher current battery? Having a trickle charger plugged in is a good idea. I already have a full blown charger/booster and a trickle charger for this kind of situation but have to remember put one in the car in case I take it to a detailer.
Appreciate 0