XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

10-04-2011, 08:29 AM   #1
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Red Halos

Good Morning my friends,

I have been using this forum for quite some time now and I have come to respect alot of your opinions, advice, information and feedback so I wanted to see what kind of responses I get on this matter.

I live in the NYC Area, and I wanted to know if anyone here knows if it would be illeagal to put the red colored halo daytime running lights in my car. I've always wanted to do that as the color theme for my car is Black and red. You can click on my profile/avatar to see pics if you like.

I want to do this modification, but I don't want to get pulled over constantly for it. Any info on this would be highly appreciated. I have seen other BMWs with red rings for "eyes" but I have not had the opportunity to ask any of those drivers if they get harassed by police because of it.

I don't go crazy with mods, but I have been interested in doing this for possibly the whole three years I had the car. Now I have the chance to go for it for less than $200, so I want to see what you guys think before I go through with this or not.
      10-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
UAxDEATH(NYC)
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M 2016

Dont do it, unless you are hooked up with cops, i got ticket, and i removed them right away. Cops said next time they`ll arrest me.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #3
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAxDEATH(NYC) View Post
Dont do it, unless you are hooked up with cops, i got ticket, and i removed them right away. Cops said next time they`ll arrest me.
Thanks for the heads up. I thought it might be a problem with the police. Even though i've seen guys with red halos in queens and bklyn, I always wondered if they got pulled over all the time... like the guys will the really dark tint that would be nice, but I know better from experience not to go that dark out here... lol
      10-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #4
TimZ
Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I thought it might be a problem with the police. Even though i've seen guys with red halos in queens and bklyn, I always wondered if they got pulled over all the time... like the guys will the really dark tint that would be nice, but I know better from experience not to go that dark out here... lol
I've seen a lot of blue halo's not red, but i would think red is a bit tacky for everyday use. How dark is your tint btw? I'm lost as to how dark i should go since i live in nyc
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 12:24 AM   #5
blazex4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 Cayman S

I just re-posted this thread onto the e90 NY thread.
Here's a couple of answers.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593949
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimZ View Post
I've seen a lot of blue halo's not red, but i would think red is a bit tacky for everyday use. How dark is your tint btw? I'm lost as to how dark i should go since i live in nyc
Yeah, the blue looks good but everyone has those so I was trying to switch it up a bit. I saw the red on a white 335i and I thought it looked good. My car is black with read hints all over it so I was thinking that red angel eyes would make it look agressive but I really don,t want to get harassed by cops if you know what I mean...

As for the tint, I would say don't go darker than 35%. I belive mine is 35% and I haven't gotten pulled over for it yet and i been driving that car with the same tint for going on three years now. Even when I got pulled over for speeding, the cop said nothing about the tint so it seems to be a good middle ground. Im sue it depends on the cop though...
      10-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazex4 View Post
I just re-posted this thread onto the e90 NY thread.
Here's a couple of answers.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593949
I went onto the other NY thread, good stuff from all of those guys. ARMY 335xi knows his stuff too. I spoke to him earlier in the year. Good guy. Well as much as I would like to get the red angel eyes installed, it just seems like an over all bad decision, so forget it. At least not in NYC. Maybe if I get stationed somewhere else... lol Thanks for all your imput guys. hey Blazex4, if you dont mind keeping this going on the NY thread forum you put me on to, I would appreciate that. can never get enough knowledge, no matter the source. Stay Safe on the road