XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-19-2009, 04:01 PM   #1
Drakos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G42 M240i

Would you buy another X5?

The lease on my van is comming up and I new a new replacement family vehicle. I am considering a loaded up X5 xDrive35d as an option. Other vehicles in consideration is the Audi Q7 and Mercedes GL350 bluetec. I am just curious if you guys are happy with your X5 and if you could do it all over again, would you buy another? Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 06:35 AM   #2
fun ticket
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 Ford Raptor

I am on my second one; love it. 2009 4.8 M Sport Package, Carbon Black.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
gen2c4s
Rep
Drives: X5 xdrive 3.0d m sport

We have a e53 3.0d sport and have just traded in for an e70 3.0d m xdrive, whether we will trade in an e70 for another I will have to let you know.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
2thdr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 Macan GTS/'18 GT3/''21 X5M

Traded in my 07 X5 for the new M3. I do miss the utility of the X5 and its security in our Alberta winters. However, if I was to consider going back to an SUV, I would first start by assessing the practical need for the third row seats. If you need them, then arguably go for the Mercedes. Their third row is a real one.

The things that keeps me coming back to BMWs all the time are the drivability of the product, quality engineering, and the 4yr warranty. Make no mistake, and no offense meant to our southern neighbors, but I believe there is a big difference between BMWs that come out of Germany (or Austria for the X3) as compared to the US factory.

And make no mistake, their is so much electrical wizardry in these vehicles, that having that four year warranty will come in handy.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #5
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakos View Post
The lease on my van is comming up and I new a new replacement family vehicle. I am considering a loaded up X5 xDrive35d as an option. Other vehicles in consideration is the Audi Q7 and Mercedes GL350 bluetec. I am just curious if you guys are happy with your X5 and if you could do it all over again, would you buy another? Thanks for your input.
One thing to consider is when you will need the new vehicle. Glenmore Audi has zero diesels and you'd be looking at March for delivery. There are no GL350 BT in the province except for very base (ie. no leather at all). I spoke to all four MB dealers and they could do nothing. In conversation with Lonestar today, best case on a GL 350 is a Feb. build with Apr. or later delivery.

Conversely, Calgary BMW has a few 35d's in stock and a custom build will only take 8-10 weeks.

To be honest, we were ready to order the GL 350 (we already have an ML320 BT), but aren't prepared to wait 4 1/2 - 5 months so we're back looking at the X5. We just sold our '03 X5 4.4i, which we weren't really a big fan of anyways, but the new ones seem to be a significant step forward.

MB has much better rates if you're looking to finance (2% lower) but BMW can actually deliver the vehicle you want.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 09:51 PM   #6
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thdr View Post
Traded in my 07 X5 for the new M3. I do miss the utility of the X5 and its security in our Alberta winters. However, if I was to consider going back to an SUV, I would first start by assessing the practical need for the third row seats. If you need them, then arguably go for the Mercedes. Their third row is a real one.

The things that keeps me coming back to BMWs all the time are the drivability of the product, quality engineering, and the 4yr warranty. Make no mistake, and no offense meant to our southern neighbors, but I believe there is a big difference between BMWs that come out of Germany (or Austria for the X3) as compared to the US factory.

And make no mistake, their is so much electrical wizardry in these vehicles, that having that four year warranty will come in handy.

Hope that helps.
I drive an '08 M3 sedan. Love it. I am thrilled that my car was hand built by a 55 year old balding guy in a clean pressed apron named "HANS" rather than some lady in South Carolina that used to work for GM and took a one week class on "quality".
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 11:50 PM   #7
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
I drive an '08 M3 sedan. Love it. I am thrilled that my car was hand built by a 55 year old balding guy in a clean pressed apron named "HANS" rather than some lady in South Carolina that used to work for GM and took a one week class on "quality".
M3 are not hand built. The process is robotized as much as the Spartanburg plant. It's an urban legend that the build quality of the U.S. factory is worse than the german-built cars. I've had two X5s and a Z4MC coming out of Spartanburg and the build quality is on par with my M3.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 07:33 AM   #8
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeloche View Post
M3 are not hand built. The process is robotized as much as the Spartanburg plant. It's an urban legend that the build quality of the U.S. factory is worse than the german-built cars. I've had two X5s and a Z4MC coming out of Spartanburg and the build quality is on par with my M3.
The m3 engine IS hand built. If you think the mindset in SC is the same as Germany you are kidding yourself.
Appreciate 0