XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #1
XZeb
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Track Star and BMW apps

I'm getting my new E70 msport 30d this week (finally after a long wait) ! - and wondering about a couple of things:

I'm thinking about getting track star which tracks the car all over Europe if it gets stolen. Costs about £300 for hardware and install from cheapest place I could find. The BMW shop charge £500. But - ive seen with the iPhone my bmw remote app that you can track / see where your car is using google maps. Does anyone know if this is just as good ? I'm in the uk so guessing it would work fine here and maybe in Europe as well ? So no real advantage getting trackstar maybe ?

Also - I stupidly didn't really look into what BMW apps is about and now realise it would have been good for being able to use i drive to select music instead of trying do it on the iphone. (im not a facebook or twitter user). I'm assuming its a software issue only so wondering if anyone knows if it can be installed somehow ?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

The BMW remote app is worthless as far as tracking your vehicle location. For it to work and it to locate your vehicle, you have to be within .6 miles of your vehicle. BMW says its set up that way for privacy reasons.
      07-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
XZeb
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Thanks for the response. I've set it up now and agree - its pretty useless really. I thought it actually tracked the car but all it does remember on the map where you marked x basically - when you log the vehicle position - as you move away from it. Who is going to forget where there car is ? I thought it could be tracked using a receiver in the car which is not the case. Disappointing after all the hype in the videos.

Late edit - managed to get it to work now. Parked it somewhere else and it has found so actually does track. Have read some other sites where comments mention that you can track long distance - but sounds like you need to be in a different country !

Last edited by XZeb; 07-09-2013 at 12:56 AM..
Appreciate 0